U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 AM

510 posts, read 1,540,905 times

Advertisements

I was heading home from a romantic holiday in the Canary Islands, Spain! What a shock when we landed not in NY but in Boston. Hubby had food poisoning that morning of the flight and we were in sorry shape. We had tennis shoes on with sweat shirts for coats.

A nice couple took us home in Boston and put us on the local trains back to Newark the next morning. Eight hours later we arrived in Goodwill coats, looking very tan and tired. We really didn't understand why my brother-in -law brought a shovel with him to pick us up till we saw what a mess NJ was. Our front door had snow drifts covering it (reason for the shovel!)

We were lucky to get home safe but what a surprise when we realized that our car was over in JFK parking lot, snow bound! Luckily they announced a few days later that if you could come and finally get your car shoveled out, they would reduce the daily rate.

We were young and broke, looking back now it was one of the scariest and yet best adventures we have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,804,548 times
that was a freaking awesome week. loved it!

we flew back from puetro rico in March of 93, during "The Storm of the Century". We couldn't land in Newark and got diverted to Boston (we were the last flight to land there - all others then went to Montreal). Got to spend the night in Beantown and we were bused back down the next day. Took forever to dig the car out and drive home - several feet in our driveway.

Good times, good times!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,493,741 times
We were living in Manhattan then, downtown by City Hall, still childless. I remember how silent everything was and the absence of traffic. That pillowy snow silence. It was divine.

Then we both went off to work, because no business in manhattan ever closes because of snowstorm, and it didn't affect the subway at all. So there we were, business as usual, except the offices were kind of empty because no one from the suburbs could get in.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 AM

41 posts, read 96,660 times
This was the best storm only because of the fact that we got to miss so much school from it! All my friends had to stay over at my house because we were snowed in. It was so great to stay up past midnight in the middle of the week. We went outside to play and one of my friends almost got hit by a snowplow. He had to jump into a snowbank on the side of the road and the plow tossed SO much snow over his whole body. Best memory ever!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 AM

594 posts, read 886,651 times
Does NJ really get that heavy snow?!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 31,980,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Does NJ really get that heavy snow?!
Well, seeing how everyone is talking about a storm that occured 13 years ago, it's obviously a rare occurrence. From the time we moved back to NJ in 1999 until we left in 2007, I can only recall one or two storms that dropped more than 6 or 8 inches of snow- most storms are milder than that, especially lately.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:32 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,726,400 times
I remember it vividly. I was sitting pretty in Honolulu the entire winter, going to the beach every afternoon and reading about the blizzard online and emailing my friends back in NJ/Phila with messages such as, "Wish you were here!"

Yes, I remember that blizzard very well.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM

7,935 posts, read 16,685,542 times
Like others here, that was the one that finished me off. It took several years to leave for me, though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: life is too short for such nonsense, that is, if you can't handle it. I can't handle it. There are many others however, who can. I just don't see any point to it.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM

7,577 posts, read 19,903,045 times
I was stuck in PA for two days as Whitman closed Rt. 80. Whne I finally made it home, our complex still had 3 feet of snow on the roads as one of the homeowner's took a swing at the contractor for piling snow up in front of his garage... so the contractor walked off the job. My company ended up getting the contract for that snow storm : ))) My back is still sore to this day from shovelling the sidewalks..lol.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM

30 posts, read 92,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, seeing how everyone is talking about a storm that occured 13 years ago, it's obviously a rare occurrence. From the time we moved back to NJ in 1999 until we left in 2007, I can only recall one or two storms that dropped more than 6 or 8 inches of snow- most storms are milder than that, especially lately.
Well, Jan 1996 was the record snowfall ever in many locations in NJ, so, obviously it's rare. However, 10" or greater snowfalls tend to happen every 3-5 years or so along the I-95 corridor (more frequently north and west of about the intersection of 80 and 287 and less frequently along the coastal plain). The gradient of snow is actually quite steep going from NW to SE across NJ, with parts of NW NJ averaging up to 60" of snow per winter, while the I-95 corridor generally gets 20-30" and SE NJ only gets 15-20"; see the link for a nice summary of NJ climate. New Jersey Climate Overview

But, from 1999-2007, FWIW, the snowfalls of ~10" or more along I-95 (at least from Philly to NYC) were much more frequent (meaning either Bob lived along the shore or has a faulty memory):

12/20/2000, about 12-20" from Trenton to NYC
2/16/2003 (President's Day), widespread 15-25" throughout the state
12/5/2003, widespread 10-20" throughout central and northern NJ
1/22/05, widespread 10-18" throughout most of NJ, except SE NJ
2/22/06 (President's Day II), widespread 12-22" throughout the state, except far SE NJ
Ray's Winter Storm Archive

This is well above normal, reflecting that the 2002/3 through 2005/6 winter seasons had generally well above normal snowfall in most of NJ. In fact, those 4 years represent the only time in 140 years of record-keeping that Central Park reached 40" of snow four straight years (~28" avg). Considering that from New Brunswick to NYC generally gets about the same amount of snow every year, that 4-year period was probably my favorite, as I simply love snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or