U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:30 PM

8 posts, read 25,492 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any positive or negative thoughts on living in Harding Township (New Vernon)?

Thanks for any input you can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 05:45 PM

825 posts, read 2,728,803 times
your username accurately describes the people who live in harding. but the town is beautiful. small country roads, nice homes, and nice properties.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 10,703,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseysnob View Post
Anyone have any positive or negative thoughts on living in Harding Township (New Vernon)?

Thanks for any input you can offer
There's really not a lot of negative to say about Harding. If you want a small town, quiet town, where properties tend to be large, without any sense of the famous NJ sprawl, this might be a good place to look. It was ranked by Forbes Magazine as of of Americas 25 most expensive zip codes, so there isn't a great deal of low end real estate to be found. Right now there are 75 properties listed on my MLS for sale in Harding. The low is $459,999 for a two bedroom condo, and the high is $15,250,000 for a 21 room, seven bedroom estate home on 34 acres. Population density is amazingly low, at only about 155 people per square mile, as opposed to the 1,000/sq. mile in the county, and over 1,125/sq. mile for the state. Commuting isn't too tough, with about an hour drive to NYC with no traffic, though it can take over an hour and a half if you hit tough rush hour traffic. You're near enough to a few train stations (Madison, Summit, Morristown) if that's your preference. They have their own school for grades K-8, and their kids go to Madison High School (those that don't go to private school, that is.)
Unlike some people, I don't think the residents are, as a whole, snobby. Some may be, but that's true in just about any community. Perhaps, though, the people in Harding have more reason to be so than the residents of many other towns.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 PM

Default homes

Bill, I have heard that there is a real housing slump in Harding. Is this true? Someone we know told us that many homes in Harding are selling 20-30% below their assessed value. What is the significance of that if any?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:09 PM

30 posts, read 78,076 times
I can add to what Bill posted in regard to stats in the MLS for Harding and hopefully answer your question about the slump. As of tonight, there are currently 74 homes listed as available; there were only 3 sales in June (that translates to almost 25 months of inventory). There were 31 sales in Harding over the last 12 months. I ran a few statistics:

Of the 29 properties that had tax assessments information available, they closed at prices that were well over tax assessments.

Homes sold, on average, at 91% of list price which was actually 85% of original list price. Average days on market was just under 125.

What that tells me is that one shouldn't get hung up on the tax assessments. If a property has been on the market for quite some time and hasn't had a price adjustment, I'd figure 10-15% under for an offer. If a house is new to the market, the sellers probably won't be ready for that much of a "cut"... you could wait it out or work with your realtor to feel good about the numbers.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by JenniferBlanchard; 07-12-2009 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: posted too quickly!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Default harding #2 worst in forbes

Forbes Magazine in their July 13, 2009 issue named Harding the second worst place in America to buy a home based on how overpriced it is and how difficult it is to sell a home there.

It is estimated that it will take over 5 years to sell the existing inventory.

Nice town, too much downside.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:04 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,440,693 times
People who live in New Vernon look down on people who live in Harding.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
People who live in New Vernon look down on people who live in Harding.
Isnt New Vernon in Harding?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,440,693 times
New Vernon is a very pricey enclave and not considered the same as Harding Twp by the people who live there. Kind of like Short Hills and Millburn.

New Vernon is just about the richest town in NJ. I know everyone here on City Data thinks it's Alpine but they're wrong.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Default New Vernon

As I understand it, New Vernon is half of Harding Township. The other half is Green Village, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or