Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,731,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
So if this happened in NJ, you'd be OK with it because you live there? I find that hard to believe.

I guess traffic laws should only apply to those who reside in that state, since those are the only people who "agree to them"???
No i would not be happy with it. I would be writing my congressman and trying to get the laws changed.

Cant do that if i dont live in the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,882,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
No i would not be happy with it. I would be writing my congressman and trying to get the laws changed.

Write the mayor of Syracuse and explain to him that because of his officer's actions, you will not bring your (and your innumerable friends') tourist dollars up that way anymore.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,298,473 times
Quote:

And you'd still have to pay the fines, your letter would fall on deaf ears because the congressman probably voted for the bill and sees it as a source of generating revenue by penalizing those who break the law habitually, and nothing would change.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:53 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,296,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so you figure speeding basically gives the government the right to take any amount of money from you possible?
yes b/c you are breaking the law

Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,296,239 times
Quote:
I don't live in NY. I did not agree to these laws.

I think two minor traffic stops should not result in a man having to shell over $1000 to a state he does not even reside in.
so what if you accidentally hit someone with your car in the state of NY and killed them? would you say the jury should find you innocent tehn b/c you don't live in NY?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,607,915 times
Quote:
you people are exactly what is wrong with this country.
for god's sakes, take responsibility for YOUR actions. always someone else's fault, in this case, ours..huh?

take your own advise:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9727878-post3.html

Old 07-13-2009, 08:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,762,118 times
Quote:
I don't live in NY. I did not agree to these laws.

I think two minor traffic stops should not result in a man having to shell over $1000 to a state he does not even reside in.
Just by driving in NY you agreed to their rules. That is the law. You may not like their laws and you may think their laws are ridiculous, but when you choose to drive in their state you are giving your agreement to observe their laws.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 16,148 times
Well the original poster is not complaining much about paying the fines in the first place, but they have SOME NERVE in a lawless free for all state like NY to come after out of state drivers for a surcharge!

I know NJ has had that surcharge for several decades, but as far as I know they do not go after out of state drivers looking for more money. That is a big difference.

I once got a ticket in NY and wound up ripping it up and throwing it in the trash. Several years later after getting another ticket this old one came up and they said "Oh BTW, you're driving privilege is suspended because of this old ticket. So I scheduled a court hearing, the cop shows
up and just laughs, telling the judge it was too long ago to remember anything, dismissed.

BTW they can't suspend your license if you don't have one from that state, but they can suspend your "privilege to drive". That's how they get away with that scam.

If it was me I'd be plenty po'd at their gall and want to send them something nice like a molotov cocktail special to show the appreciation. If I didn't have any license from that state I'd probably refuse to deal with it. Also it depends if you ever historically had a NY license. It was explained to me since I never had one, the most they could do was fine me $10 for driving in NY.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,521,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
so what if you accidentally hit someone with your car in the state of NY and killed them? would you say the jury should find you innocent tehn b/c you don't live in NY?
That is quite correct. It is called DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY and we have it since we are not from NY.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,521,780 times
BTW I believe it is a crime to pay a ticket in NY since you can be charged with contributing to corruption, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey