Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 AM

744 posts, read 1,405,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
This isn't a hard concept to grasp but some people actually enjoy driving. Your smug belief is not an absolute.

Also, I like how you can't even justify the law is in place. Your argument is, you should follow the law because well, it's the law! We're in trouble if we hide behind the law without basis.
Of course you should just follow the law because it is the law.

If you think the law is unjust or ridiculous then disobeying it is one method of protest, but the whole idea is to get caught and suffer the consequences so the greater community sees the problem.

Breaking it anyway and hoping you don't get caught is fine too, but that negates any right to whine about the consequences, surely?

I'm sure Madoff thought that laws against ponzi schemes were stupid and without basis. Doesn't mean we should just let him off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
Driving for sheer enjoyment does not strengthen your argument MM. AAMOF, it makes it less defensible in that you CHOSE to get in the car and drive somewhere above the limits imposed by the community, so it was your choice to break that law.

Your wife was not in labor, you were not bleeding from a gun wound, terrorists were not chasing you down the street. There was no other reason for going that fast other than you felt like it.

I am not saying that the limits are fair or reasonable in a lot of areas, but there are many reasons besides just revenue for them. Blind curves, intersections and driveways lower speed limits. Pedestrian activity or residential proximity also lower them.

Roadway width, presence of shoulders, presence of center barriers and the like are more indicators of what a speed limit is determined by.

OTHER things are not as strait forward. One being fuel efficiency. You remember those commercials 10-15 years ago when they were talking about the whole 55 vs 75 mph thing? They showed two cars speeding around a track, and the one traveling at 55 got an extra # of laps over the 75 just from the lowered wind resistance (goes up by velocity squared). Maybe not the biggest deal, but this saves fuel, and reduces emission.

Also, as some have mentioned (sarcastically by others), speed DOES contribute to the severity of a crash. Most cars are not rated for a 90-100mph collision, and while that may be all well and good for YOU, it is not the choice of the person you may hit.

Now, the surcharges. While I do agree you should pay what you are responsible for, this kind of double dipping is ridiculous in this day and age. The system should have known what he had and how much he owed with this second ticket and it should have been issued right then and there so he knew to fight or not fight the summons.

10 hours to Syracuse is not as big a problem when you are looking at a $750 fine rather than a $350 fine. If he could have gotten the points removed, that $400 would have disappeared.

My point on the surcharge is that laws that are made for the discouragement of possibly destructive and life endangering behavior should NOT be kept hidden. It defeats the purpose. If the only time people know about them is when they break them (or start reading law texts) then you have just gotten someone violating a law they would have been less likely to violate IF THEY HAD KNOWN.

And this is not an "ignorance of the law" type thing here. If the purpose is to discourage, the law should be widely known.

Now, finally, the rather straw-manning question of $100K and a year in jail.

Why would that not work?

1. Most people do not have $100K so the money would not be paid.
2. Putting someone in jail makes it hard to EARN the money to pay the fine.
3. Jails cost money.
4. If the purpose is to discourage, but it is also used as a source of revenue, making it something impossible will not only not yield the revenue, but would also meet with high resistance from the people it is supposed to support and protect.

So I guess that just about covers it. I think the law itself is sneaky and unfair, but at the same time you DID break the law. Complaining about it being unfair that they charge you more for a repeat offense holds very little water.

/me shrugs.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:05 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I was being extremely facetious.
Phew!!! I was reading through the whole rest of the thread to see if there was a follow up so I knew what you meant!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
so im driving to work this morning and im on the belt parkway in brooklyn. i am in the middle lane behind a guy on a motorcycle. i go to the left lane, pass him and then go in front of him. he goes in the left lane and passes me and goes in front of me. i noticed while passing me his mouth was open like he was saying something. he still wasnt going very fast so i went in the left lane and passed him and decided to go in front of him to see if it would bother him. haha it did. he comes to the right of me, turns almost all the way sideways and he is yelling at me. it was hilarious, the fat jerk with his yellow teeth yelling. all the sudden he disappeared and i thought he wiped out but he must have exited.

i have no idea why the guy was so angry with me. so i passed you, big deal.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
I get tons of that, I pass them in the left lane and they give me the finger???? It makes no sense!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
yeah, i wasnt happy that he exited because i was going to open my window and figure out what his problem was.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:10 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
They have got to be kidding me. I paid $235 for one of the tickets, and $205 for the other one. ticky tacky speeding tickets at that.

And now they are threatening to suspend my license if I dont pay them another $450. This is the letter i got (except mine is $450).

What are my rights here? I feel it is ridiculous to expect me to pay $890 because i got two speeding tickets in a state i dont even live in.
Your rights ? What about our right to safety on the highway without having to look over our shoulders to watch out for all the fools who feel its their right to endanger everyone on the highway so they can arrive at their destination 10 minutes faster ? Why do we need to feel sorry for a nitwit who has to pay additional fines for multiple speeding tickets that he ignored because he feels the speed limits don't apply to him ? Pay your fines and stop whining.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
The whole point is not the normal expected fines, but the idea of another state, which you are not licensed in, charging you surcharges. NJ already does this, but just to NJ licensed drivers I believe. NY crossing into other states to extract surcharges from drivers not even licensed by them is just wrong.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,364 times
Default Wake up people

I GOT 2 PARKING TICKETS FOR METTER AT THE SAME DAY ONE AT 7:03am AND ANOTHER AT 7:11am THIS MEANS THAT THE THIEF DID EVEN MOVE, TO WRITE ME ANOTHER TICKET IS THAT CORRECT ?. WE WORK HARD TO MAKE A LIVING, WEE DON’T DRIVE AROUND THE CITY GIVING TICKETS IN VALUES OF $125.00 EACH ONE. WE HAVE TO WAKE UP AND STOP THOSE THIEFS , IN CONTRIES LIKE FRANCE, ENGLAND, SPAIN THEY FIGHT BACK, IN FRANCE THEY INSTALL RADAR ALL OVER THE PLACE AND THE PEOPLE BRAKE THEM , IN ENGLAND PEOPLE HAS VOICE THEY DON’T LET CITIES MAKE MILLIONS IN PARKING REVENUES LIKE IN NYC . IN HERE WE HAVE NO RIGHTS THE ONLY CHANCE IS TO GET A REDUCTION ON UR TICKETS WE HAVE START TO DO SOMETHING BRAKE THE METTERS, CAMERAS, RADARS, WAKE UP PEOPLE FROM NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey