Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:36 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I agree with Kate. It's right near the old elementary school which seems to attract loiterers, and people who throw trash in the streets (edit: oops -- it's further down past the gas station towards the old projects ! that's actually a little worse). The shooting that took place half a mile away isn't really the issue -- you would be nowhere near the shooting, and would have little need to go near the site of the shooting if you lived there. Immediate surroundings are.

Keep in mind that it is a given that if you are anywhere near Journal Square or McGinley square, you will not be far from some bad areas. If you aren't comfortable with that, consider trading off some convenience and leaning towards some of your other choices.

Yeah, I have actually been looking more into some places that have been popping up in the western slopes area now since so many of the other places I mentioned were shaky. I was thinking about that one because it was on a dead end street so I thought it would be a little more isolated, but I guess not. Near projects, that doesn't sound good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 AM

52 posts, read 196,141 times
Quote:
He's moving to a desirable area where prices are in the neighborhood of $500/square foot. Watch out for roaming gangs of yuppies, hipsters, and young mothers pushing baby strollers.
That's actually where I worked. I don't think that really accurately describes the area near NJCU. But thanks.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Yeah, I have actually been looking more into some places that have been popping up in the western slopes area now since so many of the other places I mentioned were shaky. I was thinking about that one because it was on a dead end street so I thought it would be a little more isolated, but I guess not. Near projects, that doesn't sound good.

Dorian
There are many nice neighborhoods in JC but it is a city and once you leave that neighborhood it can get dicey.
Downtown is the best area but pricey
many sections up in the heights are still very nice, I am not to familiar with the heights because when I lived in JC the heights were just to far away..lol..so I can not say with any conviction which streets are still nice
many of the streets between Westside & Kennedy are nice...Kensington, Belmont, Gifford, etc just don't go past Kennedy...
keep asking...we will give you the scoop

Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,635 times
Quote:
Is all of the Greenville section of Jersey City bad?

Yes.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Dorian
There are many nice neighborhoods in JC but it is a city and once you leave that neighborhood it can get dicey.
Downtown is the best area but pricey
many sections up in the heights are still very nice, I am not to familiar with the heights because when I lived in JC the heights were just to far away..lol..so I can not say with any conviction which streets are still nice
many of the streets between Westside & Kennedy are nice...Kensington, Belmont, Gifford, etc just don't go past Kennedy...
keep asking...we will give you the scoop

Thanks for being so helpful. Here are some new ones and some that I never got an answer about.

19 Columbia Ave.
294 Hoboken Ave/State Highway 139 upper
82 Hopkins Ave
173 Halladay St.
120 Mallory Ave.
72 Communipaw Ave

Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times
Quote:
Thanks for being so helpful. Here are some new ones and some that I never got an answer about.

19 Columbia Ave.
294 Hoboken Ave/State Highway 139 upper
82 Hopkins Ave
173 Halladay St.
120 Mallory Ave.
72 Communipaw Ave
OK, here are my thoughts. Keep in mind I don't know JC heights on a block by block basis, but I think in general the places in JC heights are probably better choices for you.

72 Communipaw: you sure you got the number right ? google maps shows it as right on Liberty state park, I don't think there are apartments there.

120 Mallory: Forget it. Near or in Greenville

173 halladay: In the guts of Bergen Lafayette. Again, don't recommend it

82 hopkins: this is in JC heights. Not the nicest part of the heights, but not bad. Given your budget constraints, it's one of the better parts of JC.

294 Hoboken avenue: this is on the highway. It's very industrial, and kind of ugly (see google street view), but I don't think it's that dangerous. Check the crime map to make sure.

19 Columbia avenue: This is in JC heights, looks OK.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 PM

18 posts, read 47,020 times
I was on my way back from Newport Center Mall in Jersey City heading home to Bayonne. It was dark outside and I somehow I ended up on Ocean Avenue. Not being sure of where I was, I missed stopping for a red light and was immediately pulled over by an officer. I explained that I was lost and he never even mentioned my driving infraction after that. Instead he told me that I wasn't too far off from Kennedy Blvd. He simply gave me directions to put me on Kennedy and gave me his name/badge# and advised that if I should hit any red lights on my way to Kennedy to stop and look for traffic but to run through the lights when it's safe...if someone pulls me over I should give the next cop his name and badge number. I know what this sounds like...I like to think that this officer was kind and saw that I was afraid. I don't care his reasons, I was very greatful. Do not move to this area!! While driving through I noticed people on the street were just standing around, were very loudly arguing with eachother and were drinking openly. I do NOT recommend the Greenville area for anybody!!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
OK, here are my thoughts. Keep in mind I don't know JC heights on a block by block basis, but I think in general the places in JC heights are probably better choices for you.

72 Communipaw: you sure you got the number right ? google maps shows it as right on Liberty state park, I don't think there are apartments there.

120 Mallory: Forget it. Near or in Greenville

173 halladay: In the guts of Bergen Lafayette. Again, don't recommend it

82 hopkins: this is in JC heights. Not the nicest part of the heights, but not bad. Given your budget constraints, it's one of the better parts of JC.

294 Hoboken avenue: this is on the highway. It's very industrial, and kind of ugly (see google street view), but I don't think it's that dangerous. Check the crime map to make sure.

19 Columbia avenue: This is in JC heights, looks OK.

I had that same problem with google maps for the one on Communipaw, I think it is because they don't have streetview for that section of Communipaw yet. Here is the link:Renovated unit in historic brick building only 4 block to Light Rail (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/1268726459.html - broken link). I know what you mean when you say the one on Hoboken ave. is ugly I looked at it on google also and its not the best looking houses, but I had talked to the landlord and from what he discribes it is nice inside. He claims he totally stripped and re did the whole place. I was interested in that place because it is so close to downtown and it just seems like it would be isolated from crime. What neighborhood would that be considered? I'm assuming, from what I heard from others, that the western slopes area is the best in the heights, but where does it begin and end?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebabi76 View Post
I was on my way back from Newport Center Mall in Jersey City heading home to Bayonne. It was dark outside and I somehow I ended up on Ocean Avenue. Not being sure of where I was, I missed stopping for a red light and was immediately pulled over by an officer. I explained that I was lost and he never even mentioned my driving infraction after that. Instead he told me that I wasn't too far off from Kennedy Blvd. He simply gave me directions to put me on Kennedy and gave me his name/badge# and advised that if I should hit any red lights on my way to Kennedy to stop and look for traffic but to run through the lights when it's safe...if someone pulls me over I should give the next cop his name and badge number. I know what this sounds like...I like to think that this officer was kind and saw that I was afraid. I don't care his reasons, I was very greatful. Do not move to this area!! While driving through I noticed people on the street were just standing around, were very loudly arguing with eachother and were drinking openly. I do NOT recommend the Greenville area for anybody!!

Wow, I can't believe he told you to run the lights,lol. About how long does it take you to commute from Bayonne to Manhattan and Journal Sq. in JC driving and public transportation? Bayonne is another area I have been looking into and I found several there. How long have you lived there?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,635 times
Quote:
Wow, I can't believe he told you to run the lights,lol. About how long does it take you to commute from Bayonne to Manhattan and Journal Sq. in JC driving and public transportation? Bayonne is another area I have been looking into and I found several there. How long have you lived there?
if you have to choose between bayonne and greenville, choose bayonne it is so much safer by comparison. Search for bayonne in the NJ forum, many including myself have given detailed info on bayonne.

For commuting to nyc, you
1) take the light rail from bayonne to exchange place, then transfer to the path
2) drive to jsq path, and take the path
3) take the bus from bayonne directly to nyc, i never done the bus route so not sure which bus or where.

Honestly if you have to ask street by street if it's safe, it's probably not a good area to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey