Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:17 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
tommyc, this is a side question - but would you feel safe walking from Grove St. PATH to Bright and Varick at 2-4 AM? What is the best way to take?
Yes, I'd feel totally safe (I do it all the time), and any route you take will be safe. I'd walk down Grove, right on Mercer, left on Barrow, cut through the park, go down Jersey, make right on Bright.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Gotta love JC.. This stuff is not common at all in big cities. We do live in America, right? JC is a dump. Filled with gangs, worst people imaginable. Get out of JC while you still can even though Its prob to late.

You can only shine a turd so much.. But in the end its still Jersey City.
Show me a city where this is not common, Todd. Please, show me. Show me a city that is not "filled with gangs, worst people imaginable". CITY. Of several hundred thousand residents. I'll be waiting. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM

111 posts, read 319,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Does anyone know the names of the injured officers...? Thanks in advance!
5 police officers shot in Jersey City, two suspects identified - NJ.com

The suspects names are listed also.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
I can't believe people take this and use it to generalize an entire city of hundres of thousands. The fact of the matter is yes, JC has some rough spots. But it also has some great spots, types of areas where families can be raised, streets are well taken care of and crime is minimal. The problem is it's unfortunate happenings like this that give people the wrong and cross-eyed generalized impression of the city. Believe me, I go there all the time. Outside of about a 15-20 block radius, JC is a fine place to live.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCity201 View Post
Thanks again somuch for this info....
hope these brave young officers are recovering comfortably.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Gotta love JC.. This stuff is not common at all in big cities. We do live in America, right? JC is a dump. Filled with gangs, worst people imaginable. Get out of JC while you still can even though Its prob to late.

I agree...when more than half the city is a drug dealing, gun-shooting, gang ridden cesspool, it is most definitely not like other cities. One can only hope the Newport area pushes them away but Jersey City is years and years away from revitalization. Same thing with Newark. While they may be up and coming cities I doubt its going to happen within the next 25 yrs. The place really is a dump tho...and the people that stay in the nice end of Jersey City on the waterfront only go to the city and as far west as their apartment/condo for OBVIOUS reasons.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I can't believe people take this and use it to generalize an entire city of hundres of thousands. The fact of the matter is yes, JC has some rough spots. But it also has some great spots, types of areas where families can be raised, streets are well taken care of and crime is minimal. The problem is it's unfortunate happenings like this that give people the wrong and cross-eyed generalized impression of the city. Believe me, I go there all the time. Outside of about a 15-20 block radius, JC is a fine place to live.
Hello nail. Meet hammer. (you hit the nail on the head).

Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173

But Jersey City, is located in New Jersey. So, by your definition, NJ must be a dump, too, yes?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I agree...when more than half the city is a drug dealing, gun-shooting, gang ridden cesspool, it is most definitely not like other cities. One can only hope the Newport area pushes them away but Jersey City is years and years away from revitalization. Same thing with Newark. While they may be up and coming cities I doubt its going to happen within the next 25 yrs. The place really is a dump tho...and the people that stay in the nice end of Jersey City on the waterfront only go to the city and as far west as their apartment/condo for OBVIOUS reasons.
You don't know what you're talking about. Years away from revitalization? The Downtown neighborhoods have been revitalized for at least 7 or 8 years. There are certain neighborhoods that will never be revitalized. ALL cities have bad areas. That's like saying "Brooklyn is a dump". OK...what section of Brooklyn? There are awesome neighborhoods, and really terrible neighborhoods. In most of JC, there are not gun-shooting thugs. I challenge you, like I challenged Todd - find me a city (of several hundred thousand residents) that does not have neighborhoods where shootings occasionally occur. I will await your response...thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 PM

111 posts, read 319,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I'll be interested in seeing the police records, if any, of the two criminals that were killed.
The male suspect has so many aliases I have to give you more then one link for his rap sheet. Online I found out he is also wanted in S.C., is wanted for shooting a man in the stomach in JC a couple weeks ago, and was recently (2 years ago) in prison 5 years for weapons charges. Not to mention the rest below. The female I couldn't find for a NJ search so she might not have a record.

Criminal Searches - Details

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey