Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

Another fan of TD bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Crazy idea here- keep enough money in the bank so you don't have overdrafts. If you don't have money in the account, don't use the ATM/debit card- it's that simple........
Sh*@#&*tuff happens,
For instance I let my son use my fedex account to ship some Ebay stuff out then at the end of the month, worst possible day, just before my checks hit the bank each one of these little shipments came up in the bank account, some only $3 or $4 and each one got BAGGED for an additional $35 each. AaaArgh!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:19 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my wife had this happen to her while we were in school. it was amazing, i kept putting money in to fix the situation and they kept charging more fees.
Was it with B of A?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Crazy idea here- keep enough money in the bank so you don't have overdrafts. If you don't have money in the account, don't use the ATM/debit card- it's that simple........
I used it maybe only once or twice when I didn't have the money, which I admit is my fault, but they still charged me $35 for every day I was in the negative in my checking account and I didn't have the money to balance it out.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:31 PM

149 posts, read 762,103 times
I have PNC and I'm happy with it. They didin't charge me when I overwithdrew, it just transfered from my other account. Plus their new Virtual Wallet online system is very nice, and the interest on savings account it high.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
I used United Jersey Bank which was awesome, then they became Fleet which was not awesome, and now they are Bank of America. I have never had a problem w/ BoA, I don't understand the "crooks and thieves" remarks about them. A few months ago they removed several fees for me for overdrawing on the account, just because I asked. Maybe it's because I've been a customer so long and never had a problem, but I never even said anything about it, the rep just offered to do it. I keep BoA mainly because I travel the nation, and I can find them everywhere. They are my travel account, essentially.

I had Independence Bank which became Commerce which is now TD. They are good, but honestly they have often shown unprofessional behavior in my dealings with them; nothing major but enough to put a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to talking to them. Now I wait to talk to my friend's husband who is a branch manager or VP or something. They are good w/ the instant debit cards, though.

Several years ago, I needed a notary public, and the woman at Commerce in Ridgewood gave me such a hard time and wanted to charge me a crazy amount to notarize one document, but worst of all she was rude and short with me, and extremely unprofessional. I left and went to Chase and, despite not being a customer, the notary there notarized for me and charged me a buck or so. He also didn't try to sell me on opening an account with them. So I went back and opened an account with them. I have been extremely happy with Chase ever since. They are my favorite bank. It was good to hear that with all the bank problems/bailouts/etc., Chase was fine, and even helped avoid a gov't bailout of WaMu by buying them out. Now I can use Chase and WaMu ATM's and branches everywhere. Chase also has my Continental debit and credit cards, so a free trip to Vegas on them each year is kinda nice! Chase is my main bank now, and my favorite.

I have heard that Valley National is also excellent, and I may open an account with them. They also have coin counting machines, I've heard.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:31 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
The "overdraft fees" are annoying. I only keep $500 in my checking account at any given time for my own peace of mind. Meanwhile, there's a lot of money in my savings account. After a week of bills, etc., my checking was down to about $100. On Friday, I put in $1800 and did my usual weekly transfer, bumping my checking down to $500 and my savings up with the difference. Well, the bank had some new policy about "out of state payroll checks" and my transferring money from my checking to savings causes it to go overdraft! Not only that, but they charged $39 for every purchase I made once it went over.

This was Provident Bank. They fixed it, but weren't happy about it and gave me a lecture like I was a 5 year old. Once I threatened to pull my CDs, investment accounts and everything else, they relented. This is a good customer whose family has been banking with them since (literally) the early 1900s when my family lived in Jersey City.

That said, this was the ONLY time I ever had an issue with them. They've actually been an excellent bank otherwise and I figure I will stick with them. I was with Wachovia for a couple years, but I got fed up with them when they began secretly charging $3 every time I physically saw a teller. Ugh. And they also pissed me off a bit when I went to finance a boat and the minimum they would loan was $25,000 when I only wanted to finance $5,000 and pay the rest in cash.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Was it with B of A?
nah, it was key bank.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post

Also, there's a small chain of banks in Bergen, Passaic, and Morris Counties called Atlantic Stewardship Bank. A friend of mine has accounts there and he can't say enough good things about them. (Looking at their web site, can it really be -- 4.25% on a checking account?)
Just be aware that Atlantic Stewardship Bank has Christian tenets. It's their mission and part of their by-laws. They follow the Biblical tithing principles so 10% of their earnings is donated to Christian charities.

This may matter to some.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:19 PM

11 posts, read 35,675 times
Well from one Bank of America hater to the next you should go with Chase Bank. They are by far the best bank not only in NJ but probably in the USA. They are everywhere and I mean everywhere. There staff is amazing because they are truly knowledgeable and helpful. The best part if you ever have any issues you can just talk to the branch manager and they are always willing to help. So I am all for Chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey