Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 PM

256 posts, read 841,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
The question here isn't how do we spread the taxes around so we can pay more......the question is why are NJs taxes the highest in the nation.....how do other states provide the same basic services we receive in NJ with far less tax revenue income to work with !!! Something doesn't add up.
i agree, but i would rather have it be an income tax, then a property tax. So that its easier on citizens when they are having a rough time at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Because raising income taxes super high would drive out many high earners. See how quickly they move to a lower tax state or claim residence in FL.
They live here with the extremely high property tax rates. outside of Hoboken and perhaps a few buildings in Jersey City, I dont see many wealthy people renting.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:09 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,305 times
Here is a good book that all people in NJ need to read in order to understand the situation.

The Soprano State: New Jersey's Culture of Corruption

Amazon.com: The Soprano State: New Jersey's Culture of Corruption: Bob Ingle, Sandy McClure: Books

Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
i agree, but i would rather have it be an income tax, then a property tax. So that its easier on citizens when they are having a rough time at it.

Its like having a choice between being punched in the nose or the mouth ? Who wants either ?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Its like having a choice between being punched in the nose or the mouth ? Who wants either ?
i do not, but at least with income tax, it is relative to what you earn.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:49 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
He might not be making much money, but he is living in a nice middle class house.

I still have my job and am earning a steady income, but I am living in a much more modest housing arrangement than him (a 1br apartment not far from the recent police shootings).

It's fine with me if he wants to live his lifestyle -- but why should I and others who have chosen a more modest lifestyle have to pay for it ?

Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Right, but giving all the money directly to the state would be a move further in that direction (since all the money would go directly to the state, they would ultimately control all and not merely most of it).
Which is another way of saying urban political machines, their political cronies and public worker's unions would have the pleasure of controlling all of the money.

Bad idea. Real bad idea. Look at where we are now.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
i do not, but at least with income tax, it is relative to what you earn.
I see your point and agree that an income tax is a fairer way of raising revenue.

The reality is, raising the income tax rates would do nothing more than give NJ's political establishment even more money to play with and pi$$ away.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:01 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
They live here with the extremely high property tax rates. outside of Hoboken and perhaps a few buildings in Jersey City, I dont see many wealthy people renting.
So?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I see your point and agree that an income tax is a fairer way of raising revenue.

The reality is, raising the income tax rates would do nothing more than give NJ's political establishment even more money to play with and pi$$ away.
This is true. Income tax is a progressive tax (meaning you make more, you pay more) and property tax is regressive. It's regressive because sometimes your home value doesn't correlate with how much you can pay for taxes, especially if your home is paid off or you bought it a long time ago (think an old retired couple living in a paid-off house that they now have to pay 15K a year on).

In theory, I would be more for the progressive income tax in place of property tax, but in this case, the thought of having the state sucking even more money and redistributing it as they see fit is a not a better option. I do believe the local governments are more responsive and kept in check with the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey