Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,702 times

Advertisements

I would be all for a USER based system. I have no children so I would LOVE to not have to pay for schools while my neighbors who pop out 1-4+ kids pays the same taxes as me that covers schools.
But that will never happen in my lifetime cause if anything we are going towards a more "you pay for everyone elses junk" world if you make money and a "get everything free" if you don't make money. YEAH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 AM

636 posts, read 1,423,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
The landlord already pays property tax, and passes the costs on to renters. If renters paid tax on top of that, that would be a double tax.
The landlord passes it on IF he can. Rent is based on supply/demand - if no one wants to live there, he can't pass the taxes on.

Quote:
Yes, but that would require a radical overhaul of the existing system (if you're doing a straight "user pays", why have public schools at all ?). Incremental steps such as vouchers would be more practical and less controversial.
Yes, please.

Quote:
Because the town still wants to collect taxes when the place is vacant, or when the owner occupies it.
That doesn't add up to me. If apartments are vacant, they aren't using services.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
The landlord passes it on IF he can. Rent is based on supply/demand - if no one wants to live there, he can't pass the taxes on.
If he can't charge enough rent to pay property taxes, he doesn't buy it in the first place. Because of this, in the real world, rent exceeds property taxes (and often exceeds property tax + association fee + mortgage payment)

Quote:
That doesn't add up to me. If apartments are vacant, they aren't using services.
If they are vacant for too long, they have a negative impact on the quality of life of the other residents, whether they are using services or not.

Also, there is another argument (again, similar to what I made before) for taxing the land regardless -- and that is, that taxing regardless prevents it from assets being accumulated by people who aren't putting them to productive use. It is not efficient to have someone hold on to a large area of land for purely speculative purposes, because it reduces the total utility (in plain terms, it isn't doing anyone any good for the holding period)

Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I would be all for a USER based system. I have no children so I would LOVE to not have to pay for schools while my neighbors who pop out 1-4+ kids pays the same taxes as me that covers schools.
But that will never happen in my lifetime cause if anything we are going towards a more "you pay for everyone elses junk" world if you make money and a "get everything free" if you don't make money. YEAH!
Ok, just as long as my kids don't have to pay for your Social Security and Medicare, that's cool with me too.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,696,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Ok, just as long as my kids don't have to pay for your Social Security and Medicare, that's cool with me too.
One would think all the money I put into SS and Medicare each week would be coming back my way and not your kids money which should go to their supplement retirement. Them crazy gov't folk and their half @ss backwards stuff...

Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 AM

744 posts, read 1,405,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
That's covered by the "non-idiot" part in my earlier post.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM

744 posts, read 1,405,826 times
Quote:
One would think all the money I put into SS and Medicare each week would be coming back my way and not your kids money which should go to their supplement retirement. Them crazy gov't folk and their half @ss backwards stuff...
Why would you think that? That isn't how ponzi schemes work.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
That's covered by the "non-idiot" part in my earlier post.
Not everyone who makes a poor investment is an idiot. Investments/markets aren't totally in your control. And this is more evident the longer you hold the property.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,498 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know, but that's not the way it works. What you are paying now is funding the benefits being paid out and healthcare for retirees today. It's not being put away for you in the future.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Yeah, I know, but that's not the way it works. What you are paying now is funding the benefits being paid out and healthcare for retirees today. It's not being put away for you in the future.
Ponzi scheme..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey