Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 AM

22 posts, read 179,726 times

Advertisements

I have enrolled my daughter in Hackensack's public school. She will start pre-k at Nellie K Parker in Sept. There was an open house in June which I attended with my husband and daughter. I know not everyone attended, but there was not a single white person in the room. The people in the room were hispanic, indian, black, asian. My understanding is that Nellie K is a very diverse school (as is Hackensack), but when there's no white kids, that is not diverse. When I look around town, I see all kinds of people of all levels, so my question is what school are all these people sending their kids to?
I personally thought of catholic school because of Hackensack's school reputation, but decided to give this a shot first since Nellie K had some positive reviews. Anyone out there have some insight? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,750,965 times
Hackensack Christian School

Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,940,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Hackensack Christian School
that's what i was thinking too.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,911,603 times
Hackensack Public Schools do not have a very good reputation. It's not a RACE issue, it's an education issue. A lot of people who can afford to send their children elsewhere do. There is only 1 Catholic School now, Padre Pio Academy... but a lot of children from Hackensack also go to Corpus Christi in Hasbrouck Heights, Assumption in Wood-Ridge, St. Peter's in River Edge, Visitation in Paramus and St. Joseph's in Oradell.

There is also a relatively new charter school - Bergen Arts & Science Academy - in Garfield. It opened 2 yrs ago and it's charter is to provide a superior education to children of Hackensack, Garfield and Lodi - since they were the 3 lowest performing districts in Bergen County. ONLY if they do not have enough students in a grade level from one of those towns can they accept children from other towns in Bergen County.

I have many friends in Hackensack, none send their children to Public School there.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
I still go to the Hackensack Public High School.

40% Hispanic
31% Black
23% White
5% Asian
1% Other/Unknown

I'm a white student who lives in Hackensack, and i asked myself the same question. But it is true that most the white families in Hackensack are the rich families. The ones who can afford the private schools.. I honestly love the high school and this following year is my last year.
I just think it's also strange because South Hackensack, Maywood, and Rochelle Park's public high school is Hackensack High school, and all those towns are predomitely white... The school is noted for having some of the best arts programs in the state, and we definitely have a better school system than a lot of NJ cities, but it's either that White Parents aren't used to that kind of thing when it comes down to race, or they want what's best for their child. You can't deny that it's a race issue for some parents.

My case was, my mom wasn't paying for a private school when theres a perfectly decent school I can go to for free hah!
We definitely aren't the typical white family in Hackensack hah..

I'm actually glad i went here over Bergen Acadamy in Hackensack or Bergen Catholic since i broke that barrier that most people never do which is not caring or worrying about blending in with other races.

Anyway, most the white kids at my school are from the 3 other towns (Maywood, S. Hackensack, and Rochelle park).. There's not so many white kids that actually live in Hackensack at my school... I guess it's because the white people in Hackensack tend to be more wealthy than the ones in the 3 towns (you can definitely see it when you go around Summit and Spring valley ave)

I did my 3rd-5th grade at Jackson Elemantary btw

Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaridis View Post
I know not everyone attended, but there was not a single white person in the room. The people in the room were hispanic, indian, black, asian- but when there's no white kids, that is not diverse.
What are you smoking?

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 AM

22 posts, read 179,726 times
well cyntmac, now that I think REALLY hard, there was one white lady in the room, she was the PTA director. Everyone in the room was a minority (including us). To me, it is important to expose my daughter to different cultures. Wouldn't you think about why there wasn't a single white child in that class when you know the town is full of them? I am just trying to get thoughts and opinions. Thanks for your feedback!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,940,095 times
I think you should try the public school for Kindergarten and see how it goes.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 AM

53 posts, read 112,638 times
Default Diversity

I sent my child to Nellie k. Parker. She was the only white child in her class, This was not a good experience. HS was more diverse. I pulled my other child from the Middle School and he went to Holy Trlnity and then to Paramus Catholic HS. Although Hackensack is a great town to live in, I was not impressed with the school system.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,733,374 times
I'm not from Hackensack but I wonder if the reason for not seeing a more diverse student body was because of the grade level? I'm not sure how many hours pre-school is in Hackensack but in Lyndhurst it's only 2.5 hours. I work all day so although there is a free Pre-K program in my town i have to spend my son to a private facility were they provide full day care. I'm sure many parents in your town have the same dilema maybe the class will fill out once they get into 1st grade when it is full day AND mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey