U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2007, 11:20 PM

24 posts, read 117,398 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am interested in a home in vernon NJ and am wondering about sussex camp which is run in the summer months, if anyone has info on it I would love to hear. The property we are looking at is about 2-3 blocks away.
Any other infor on the schools, people town would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,669 times
Unhappy Vernon .... God help you Be ready for super high taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gig harbor View Post
Hi,
I am interested in a home in vernon NJ and am wondering about sussex camp which is run in the summer months, if anyone has info on it I would love to hear. The property we are looking at is about 2-3 blocks away.
Thanks
Vernon is not the place you want to live if you have to work for a living. Super high taxes and poor services are the norm. Horrable traffic jams all year round. Lots of outsiders wondering all over the place when the city people come to play. You never know what is in town at any given time ... have to watch the kids very closely. No one in Vernon will tell you this so just go and look at the local Newsparer The New Jersey Hearald. It is all in ther and it is scarry

Lived near buy most of my life and it just gets worse all the time.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gig harbor View Post
Hi,
Thanks
If you have to work for a living then Vernon is not the place to live. I have to say thier school system is very good. But unfortunately my kid hated Vernon High School. They felt a lot of racisim in the school. The wing for each side of the school are just to long and you get lost very easily. The taxes are too high and homes are so much over priced considering that you will be in the country. I moved from vernon because my kids and myself were so unhappy in that area that we finshed buying in Franklin.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,081 times
Vernon is a pretty nice town - I don't really know about any traffic jams except for the occasional bear crossing. My son sometimes got lost in the High School until I purchased him a hand-held GPS device. It helped him out and he didn't get lost anymore. The taxes are much more reasonable then most towns in other counties in NJ. It is a very rural town and you do not have to "watch your kids", again, except for the occasional bear. There are "outsiders" who come to ski in the winter and go to the water park in the summer, but in all my 11 years here, I've never heard anyone call them "outsiders" or have any problems with them. The above posts make it sound like people come in from the city for a few runs on the ski slopes and to kidnap your kid on their way home. . . . Oh, I don't live near Camp Sussex, but have never heard of anyone having problems with them. . . .ever - it's pretty self-contained.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,299,024 times
Default Camp Sussex

They take kids from the inner cities, bus them up for a couple of weeks, send them home, you can see these kids in the summer walking down 565 to the post office. I don't think they cause any harm, couselors are pretty good.

Vernon is a beautiful place, all my kids were raised there, but property taxes
lack of services, snow and overbuilding drove me out of there. Little if none employment other than Action Park/ski resort. Most locals commute into NYC or lower NJ, consisting gas prices, that's a lot of money going out the pocket

Lower grade levels of schools are very good, heard that in the high school
there are drugs, but since I don't have kids in school there, its only hearsay.
Traffic on Rt. 23 can be a pain in the butt, I know that traffic gets backed up around the S turns near the cutoff to Greenwood Lake and sometimes backs up in Butler and lower. Can be a killer, in the winter time with snow and ice. Rt. 515 is also another horror in winter, with all the twists and turns
many a car has gone off the road.

BTW, my daughter pays $7,200 property taxes for a three bedroon/one bath/
one garage house

Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,924 times
Default Benefits of Living in Vernon?

Hi. I found VGuy's post to be accurate and entertaining. A number of years ago when I lived at the condos adjacent to the (now) Minerals Spa and Sports Club, I drove south to work every day and never met a real traffic problem. Also, although I could hear the loud Action Park crowd when I sat on my deck, I never encountered any problem with these "outsiders." In fact, my kids and I get a season pass to Mountain Creek/Action Park every summer even though I don't live in Vernon any more.

I am getting divorced and would love to move back to Vernon with my two children. My husband doesn't want our kids to move; he doesn't see any "benefit" that Vernon offers compared to the town we currently live in, Mahwah, in Bergen County. (Yes, I've already pointed out that homes in Vernon, appear to cost about half of what they do in Mahwah.)

I would really appreciate any comments about the "benefits" of living in Vernon, especially regarding the schools and activities for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey