U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 AM

890 posts, read 1,267,321 times
Default Quality of Life in CM County?

I don't see too many CMC posts here. But hopefully a couple of people will respond.

After investigating the Poconos, suburban Wilmington, DE, and a couple of places in suburban PA (Chesco, Lanc. Co.), I'm back to where I promised myself I would pre-retire 25 years ago: Cape May.

I've looked at the many links with demographics and such, but of course, they don't give you a realistic picture of actually living there.

Anyone out there who knows about life in such places as, say, Erma, Tranquility Park, Cold Spring, etc.? I want to be off the island (couldn't afford it anyway), but not on top of the bay - so that sort of rules out North CM.
I like quiet and don't want to be in a crowded development. Driving to stores is no big deal. I would look for an undemanding, part-time job to hold me over until I'm 65.

I did notice that the health care facilities may be subpar (though no one responded to my post regarding this), so I guess it's fair to say it's a risk.

Anything you know about this area of Jersey would be MOST APPRECIATED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 PM

GEEZE!! Is there NO ONE From Cape May County on this forum?? What gives? BUMMER.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,062,201 times
Unfortunately, there aren't many regular posters from South Jersey here. I am from Camden County and I am (with a few others) probably as far south as you get.

Sorry...I don't have any experience with Cape May County. I drove through it once or twice...sorry.

Shanny

Old 07-29-2009, 05:20 AM

992 posts, read 2,265,670 times
My wife's uncle lives in Villas (Lower Township I think) they like it, although what you say about the health care is probably true as they are originally from Chalfont, and go back to PA for most of their different Dr. appointments.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Thanks, Shanny & Bill. I was beginning to feel invisible and didn't realize that this was mostly frequented by Central and North Jerseyites.

Yeah...i was kinda worried about the healthcare situation...hmmm....guess I need to do more thinking. Thanks again to you both.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,161,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I don't see too many CMC posts here. But hopefully a couple of people will respond.

After investigating the Poconos, suburban Wilmington, DE, and a couple of places in suburban PA (Chesco, Lanc. Co.), I'm back to where I promised myself I would pre-retire 25 years ago: Cape May.

I've looked at the many links with demographics and such, but of course, they don't give you a realistic picture of actually living there.

Anyone out there who knows about life in such places as, say, Erma, Tranquility Park, Cold Spring, etc.? I want to be off the island (couldn't afford it anyway), but not on top of the bay - so that sort of rules out North CM.
I like quiet and don't want to be in a crowded development. Driving to stores is no big deal. I would look for an undemanding, part-time job to hold me over until I'm 65.

I did notice that the health care facilities may be subpar (though no one responded to my post regarding this), so I guess it's fair to say it's a risk.

Anything you know about this area of Jersey would be MOST APPRECIATED.

Soulsurv, have you considered Upper Township? It is much nicer than some of the areas you mentioned and while it's closer to OC and Strathmere, it is still Cape May County.

I've been going to Cape May and Ocean City for many years and I just feel those areas outside of Cape May are a little depressed. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,368,955 times
soulsurv, you should get in touch with the poster "hollygolightly". she's the only person on the nj board (that i know of) who actually lives in cape may county year-round. i'm sure she can fill you in about life in that area of the state.

just send her a direct message with your questions; hopefully she's still checking this site fairly regularly.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, ms. Charlotte and Pbergen - much appreciated. You know, I've never been to OC, believe it or not. I'm never drawn to places with a plethora of little kids, and the beach at CM is just so pristine - but I know what you mean about the areas seeming a bit depressed (I'm guessing that's why it's affordable ). Always thought it would be great to jump in the car and be at the CM beach in 10 minutes any time of year, particularly off-season.

I'll investigate the areas you suggested, ms. Charlotte and will give holly a holler, Pb. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey