U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 1,850,748 times
Default Raise Roof for finished attic area?

We just bought a split level house with no basement. There is a partially finished attic playroom/den with windows AC at the 3rd floor (or I should say 2.5 floor). Originally we plan to add a dormer in the back and convert it into master suite which will include a master bedroom, bathroom and walk in closet. However, the inspector pointed out that the ceiling is not high enough (highest point is 7.5ft) to add a dormer. It's better to raise the roof. It means we need to tear down the roof and re-build the wall and roof for that area. It's around 400-500 sq ft and it's the attic area right above the living room, kitchen and dining room on first level. Does anyone have any idea how much budget we are talking about here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 13,728 times
Default Info on raising attic roof

We're looking into the same type of project - raising roof on a split-level attic above LR/DR/Kit to add a master suite. I see your post but no replies. Did you pursue this project? What cost estimates did you get? Any info on challenges, your experience, etc. would be extremely helpful!

thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 AM

4,671 posts, read 8,851,735 times
Sorry I cannot help but have more questions....

Does the ceiling have to be high so that the dormer still has a slope?

Anyone know what the ceiling height has to be at the peak if you do not dormer?

I would like to think about eventually turning the walk up attic into an or play room or basic single bedroom. The ceiling is not high, 8 foot, and goes down to 6' 3.5' from the center so it would make for a pretty skinny room.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM

988 posts, read 2,253,404 times
Typically, you would not build dormers on split level homes. It would make more sense to add another level. If you have a 3 level split, you can add up above the living room area and make a master bedroom suite. This style home would easily accomodate this type of addition without reconfiguiring the rest of the home. Dormers are built on Cape Cod style or some Colonial style homes.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM

7,404 posts, read 8,764,931 times
I have good friends in Bergen Cty who purchased a split level many years ago, and just finished the type of addition mentioned here. They had a third story storage area, raised the roof front and back, and made it into a master bedroom with bath. I can't tell you how much they paid, I know it took forever because they used "friends" who gave them breaks in return for letting them do the renovations between other jobs. But, it looks great, inside and out.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 PM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 1,850,748 times
my old posting
The reason that inspector does not suggest us to do the dormer is our highest point is not even 8ft. Even adding the dormer, the whole area still will only have 7.5ft ceiling at highest. It's not gonna help too much.
As Sergio stated, it's not hard for split style house to do addition like this. The project estimate is around 40k for construction. We probably are not going to do it within 3 years since we spent all our money to remodel the rest of house now. Besides, we have more than enough space for now. However, we do planning ahead while doing the current remodel. My husband has plumber put in extra pipe for the future project. We also put in a microlam beam in the kitchen/dining ceiling while opening up the whole area. The load for whole floor in the future is also calculated when we purchased the beam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey