U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2009, 08:29 AM

7,815 posts, read 4,404,398 times

Advertisements

"I believe that was a Hungarian food called "sulana" "

Sure is!!

Also known as 'speck' and 'dirty bread', all served open faced.

That's the beauty of NJ, ethnic foods become native fare.

Pork fat roasted in the oven is even better.

Most of those foods were born of hard times.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 PM

96 posts, read 27,785 times
2 Places to try on Hyw#35 in Bemar and Wall ....

1) The Windmill......great Burger and Fries and dogs

2) The Circus drive in ...it has everything !!!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM

229 posts, read 603,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SowerCleaver View Post
I recently moved to NJ (Monmouth county) from NYC (lived there 7 years - before then, out of the country), and only recently found out about the Jersey breakfast (pork roll). I'm planning to try it out soon in a nearby diner. I'm curious as to what other (junk) food that's popular in NJ is there -- for example, I really enjoyed the In-n-Out burger while in California. Please also list the restaurants that serve them, so that I can try them out! Thanks

Disco Fries! Fries with brown gravy and cheese. I prefer American, some prefer Mozzarella.

Also, I made up my own concoction, which is awesome. Same thing, except instead of Fries, do chicken fingers. Sounds bad, tastes AMAZING.

Third, how about Pizza Burgers? Burger with Tomato sauce and Mozzarella!

Last edited by millsan1; 07-31-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 04:07 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantwon View Post
2 Places to try on Hyw#35 in Bemar and Wall ....

1) The Windmill......great Burger and Fries and dogs

2) The Circus drive in ...it has everything !!!
The kids and I just had a fried food frenzy the other day at Circus
I love that place!
And Windmill!
2 Great picks, Giantwon.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 AM

22 posts, read 50,710 times
Wow - thanks everyone for the information. Can't wait to try them out (think I will try them out over a few months so that I don't suddenly clog my artery... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

One other thing... Make sure you come back to let us know how you liked the Taylor Ham/Egg/cheese sandwich. Make sure you put pepper on it, and ketchup is HIGHLY recommended. At least try it with ketchup for a few bites. I would say Ketchup is NECESSARY, but if push comes to shove, I'd say it's optional, although highly recommended. Enjoy! I like mine with a side of corned beef hash (well done - I tell them "burn it")from a diner.
Yessir - after I read the description of this sandwich, I also thought ketchup was the focal point of it....

I have a couple of follow up question -- first, what is the "normal" portion for these? For example, how many hot dogs (rippers?) one would eat in one seating? I'm a regular-weight guy. Second, what do you eat with these junk foods? I saw the pickle bar suggestion with the pastrami sandwich - what goes with disco fries, fat darrel, italian hot dogs, etc.?

I'll report back once I tried some of these (and maybe how many pounds I gained ).

Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,819,740 times
The Italian hot dog is sometimes served with fries, though they're not really necessary since there are potatoes on the roll. I'd think the Fat Darrell doesn't really need a side, since it's got french fries right on the sandwich itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey