Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times

Advertisements

The pressure is on now we are running out of time and we are having a hard time choosing between the Harrison apartment on Harrison Ave. or the West New York apartment on 63rd St. Are there any little details, positive or negative, that someone like me from out of town wouldn't know about either of these towns? Which one is better for commuting? I know WNY is alot closer, but does the path make up for that in Harrison? Where do people go shopping at in the two towns? Any shopping centers near by? I went to a Walmart when I was in Harrison (I think it was technically in Kearny tho.). I saw a lot of small stores in WNY is that what I should gernerally expect there or is there major grocery stores somewhere? Does WNY have 24 hr transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can only speak for Bayonne, but that location is good. You really don't have to worry about crime there.

I thought I was ready to choose, but another place has caught my attention. How is it around 210 Broadway in Bayonne? Also I keep hearing it pronounced different ways, is it Bay-on, Bay-yoon, or Bay-yun? Does anyone know when the 8th st. station will be finished?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 AM

53 posts, read 259,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPATRIOT View Post
I say Bayonne, I'm near the 22nd light rail station and been pretty happy here for 4 years now... An apartment just opened up next door, 2 family home 2nd floor unit...
Im so glad to read this as I just signed a lease on a 2BR right in that area.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF100 View Post
Im so glad to read this as I just signed a lease on a 2BR right in that area.
I wonder if you two are talking about the same place? That would be interesting.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
The pressure is on now we are running out of time and we are having a hard time choosing between the Harrison apartment on Harrison Ave. or the West New York apartment on 63rd St. Are there any little details, positive or negative, that someone like me from out of town wouldn't know about either of these towns? Which one is better for commuting? I know WNY is alot closer, but does the path make up for that in Harrison? Where do people go shopping at in the two towns? Any shopping centers near by? I went to a Walmart when I was in Harrison (I think it was technically in Kearny tho.). I saw a lot of small stores in WNY is that what I should gernerally expect there or is there major grocery stores somewhere? Does WNY have 24 hr transportation?

Harrison not only has a small town feel with good eats and shopping within walking distance but its location is prime. YOu have 280, Turnpike, and Parkway within 1 to 5 minute drive. Not to mention not much crime to speak of at all. You would do your grocery shopping most likely at Kearny Shoprite or Kearny Pathmark which is about 5 minute drive from you apt. Very easy. Oh yeah I almost forgot you would be a 15 minute walk to the Ironbound in Newark and all the great food its offers. Harrison is also served by a ton of Brazilian eateries if you like meat. YOU have west hudson park which is a great park for walking playing or whatever it is has a spray zone for the kids. The park is about a 7 minute walk from apt location. Tough to beat.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
All the areas mentioned in the op are great,imo.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 PM

16 posts, read 63,682 times
The NJ Transit 128 bus line runs 24/7 up and down Blvd East, passing through Guttenberg, West New York, and Weehawken and into Port Authority in 15 - 20 min.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times
That area of WNY is fine. I don't live too far from there. I would pick that one over Harrison and bayonne because you'll get into the city a lot quicker. The little gypsy vans also run 24hrs a day down Blvd East.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
That area of WNY is fine. I don't live too far from there. I would pick that one over Harrison and bayonne because you'll get into the city a lot quicker. The little gypsy vans also run 24hrs a day down Blvd East.
What are the gypsy vans? I read in a different post that blvd east can be a little shake at night, is that true?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Harrison not only has a small town feel with good eats and shopping within walking distance but its location is prime. YOu have 280, Turnpike, and Parkway within 1 to 5 minute drive. Not to mention not much crime to speak of at all. You would do your grocery shopping most likely at Kearny Shoprite or Kearny Pathmark which is about 5 minute drive from you apt. Very easy. Oh yeah I almost forgot you would be a 15 minute walk to the Ironbound in Newark and all the great food its offers. Harrison is also served by a ton of Brazilian eateries if you like meat. YOU have west hudson park which is a great park for walking playing or whatever it is has a spray zone for the kids. The park is about a 7 minute walk from apt location. Tough to beat.
Does crime every spill over from Newark? Are the Pathmark or Shoprite closer than the Walmart? Are there any shopping centers close to the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey