Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,402,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Does crime every spill over from Newark? Are the Pathmark or Shoprite closer than the Walmart? Are there any shopping centers close to the area?

Harrison has always done a great job of keeping the crime on the other side of the bridge. Pathmark and Shoprite are a little further from the part of Harrison but not more then 5 minutes further. Not sure what you mean by shopping center but Harrison does have mini mall with your basic Quick Check,Rite Aid and assorted Food spots. The closest and largest actual mall would be Jersey Gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,031,502 times
Quote:
What are the gypsy vans? I read in a different post that blvd east can be a little shake at night, is that true?
THey are these little vans that are outside of the port authority that run all night to blvd. east. They are much faster than waiting for the NJ transit ones inside because those are very sporadic after 11pm . ON the weekends you'll see long lines of people waiting for the little gypsy vans (some people call them jitney vans) between 8th and 9th avenue on 42nd street.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,560,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
THey are these little vans that are outside of the port authority that run all night to blvd. east. They are much faster than waiting for the NJ transit ones inside because those are very sporadic after 11pm . ON the weekends you'll see long lines of people waiting for the little gypsy vans (some people call them jitney vans) between 8th and 9th avenue on 42nd street.
How much do they cost to ride? I'm assuming they don't have a schedule.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,879,933 times
Quote:
How much do they cost to ride? I'm assuming they don't have a schedule.
$2.50 each way.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM

43 posts, read 103,537 times
I think we are, it was rented... the sign is gone, don't mess with my parking spot!!!! lol

Quote:
I wonder if you two are talking about the same place? That would be interesting.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:42 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,560,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPATRIOT View Post
I think we are, it was rented... the sign is gone, don't mess with my parking spot!!!! lol
It's a small world after all, lol. I wonder if SF100 got your message.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,288,773 times
I own a condo on the other end of Cross Street in Harrison (near the new high school). Cross Street is incredibly quiet and safe. The neighborhood takes a lot of pride in the street and rarely will you hear or see any trouble. The park is a very short walk from where you are looking (West Hudson) and makes for a great visit on a nice day. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:56 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,881,310 times
Quote:
And for the one in Bayonne it was the highest rent at $1275+e, but only ask for one month security. It was on west 43rd st. right in between avenue c and avenue B.
Quiet neighborhood, safe, near schools, shopping and restaurants. Parking may be an issue, but you'll be able to walk or take the bus all over town.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Is flooding an issue tho because I always thought it was kinda flat when I looked at street view on Google maps then what I thought could happen did while I was there. I was there when those storms came through on Wednesday and a good bit of the city was under water and I had a hard time getting out of there. I know that storm was probably very rare, but it seems like it might flood there from time to time due to its geography.
Flooding is extremely rare here -- the storm sewers may get overwhelmed when you get an inch or two of rain in an hour -- but that's even more rare.
We're not under sea level, and that part of town is actually on a hill.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I thought I was ready to choose, but another place has caught my attention. How is it around 210 Broadway in Bayonne?

That's fairly near me. It's the main street, the Broadway bus line runs past, you have Quick-Chek, Italia Restaurant (yum) and Rita's Ices nearby.

Also I keep hearing it pronounced different ways, is it Bay-on, Bay-yoon, or Bay-yun?

Bay-OWN.

Does anyone know when the 8th st. station will be finished?
I'm hearing late summer next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey