Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,220,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
The original poster did not ask anything about race or ethnicity, he asked about safety. So why did you state that Dover is OK in spite of it's hispanic population?
no they did not ask, be im sure they did want to know. and they have a right to know. dont act like that was some unheard of statement. people want to know what type of people make up a neighborhood that they plan on living in. and yes that includes race and ethnicity!!! lets not act like blacks or hispanics dont want to know that same things. so friggin sick of you dam crybabies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 PM

380 posts, read 707,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
no they did not ask, be im sure they did want to know. and they have a right to know. dont act like that was some unheard of statement. people want to know what type of people make up a neighborhood that they plan on living in. and yes that includes race and ethnicity!!! lets not act like blacks or hispanics dont want to know that same things. so friggin sick of you dam crybabies.
To rightly claim that I am a cry baby that would have to include complaining on my part, which I was not doing. I never said it was an unheard of statement; quite the contrary actually, which you should comprehend if you reread the aforementioned post. It is not a very humble thing for you to assume what other people want to know. I am hispanic and I could care less what race or ethnic group inhabits a neighborhood on my purchase list. What I would care about is crime rate and the integrity level of the inhabitants of said community. Two things that have nothing to do with race and ethnicity. So I think what you really meant to say was: you are so friggin sick of accepting, culturally advanced, non-judgemental people who look past the color of someone's skin and look for content of character. You can get there too, just stop swallowing every piece of claptrap you read and try to think independently.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:13 PM

220 posts, read 621,560 times
Hey Sammi_nj....you are probably going to like Rockaway BUT you may also want to take a peek in towns like Mine Hill, Wharton & Kenvil. Nice, old, coal mining towns that I personally really like alot (I like old towns, ones with some stories) I think they are afforable & right around the same neighborhoods you are looking. Dover is another "old town" & me living right next door, am frequently there. I'd have to agree that I personally (5'1 female) have never felt "unsafe" there. Yes...I probably wouldn't be ALONE in a few neighborhoods at night but that is a smaller section & Morristown....Morristown in MHO is a GREAT town! TONS on history & some BEAUTIFUL sections & again maybe a few "I don't want to get caught here alone at night" sections BUT...all in all a really great town. So, be careful in finding an agent...one who definitely "gets" you & good luck!!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,593 times
Quote:
You are assuming quite a few things there sir. I also could care less what the racial make-up of a neighborhood is as long as it is safe. Just like I could care less what color my doctor is, as long as he is the best. Why do you need to know the ethnicity of your neighbors before you move near them? Would a Puerto-Rican be OK but not an Argentinian. Would an Italian be OK but not an Armenian? Your statement concerning ethnicity is clearly a prejuidiced one.

Dover, NJ is an example of a town that has a large minority population (50%) Latino and is safe. I wonder if you would cross Dover off of your list.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,902,998 times
$10 and my left nut say "contachster" and "Ashenden" are the same person.....

Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
$10 and my left nut say "contachster" and "Ashenden" are the same person.....
Would you like to pay me in cash or money order? You can keep the testicle.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
What I would care about is crime rate and the integrity level of the inhabitants of said community. Two things that have nothing to do with race and ethnicity.
oh no? are you sure about that?arent you the one that was quoting stats about the spanish population of Dover before? well why dont you check the stats on crime rates in neighborhoods that are dominantly black and hispanic. compare that with those of caucasian neighborhoods, compare that with asian neighborhoods, then get back to me. sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenden View Post
You are assuming quite a few things there sir. I also could care less what the racial make-up of a neighborhood is as long as it is safe. Just like I could care less what color my doctor is, as long as he is the best. Why do you need to know the ethnicity of your neighbors before you move near them?
uh sir? ok...its not just caring what ethnicity or race your neighbor is, but to move into a neighborhood where you are the only one of your kind. come on. stick a white boy in the center of newark's south ward. or stick a black guy in the back woods of alabama. dont you get my point? people dont want to be fed to the wolves.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM

505 posts, read 1,756,803 times
Hate to get back on topic but as for recommendations, Dover and Morristown are towns with a decent downtown atmosphere (Morristown is more of a professional flavor, Dover has a more of a hispanic flavor). Neither of those areas have great schools, actually Dover has the worst schools in Morris County according to NJ Monthly's ratings:

A list of the top high schools in New Jersey by county-www.njmonthly.com

I Rockaway Twp is nice, but taxes there are pretty bad.

Given your desires I would look in a couple of places:

+Morristown- More urban downtown with businesses, restaurants, theater, etc.
+Dover- Decent downtown with hispanic vibe and a train line (nice plus)
+Jefferson- great lake communities in Lake Forest and Shawnee, quick ride down 15 to Rockaway Townsquare, so-so schools.
+Boonton- again, schools arent great and taxes might be high, but it has a decent downtown (maybe a little smaller than Dover) plus you are close to places like The Tourne, Mtn Lks Boulevard, etc. It is a decent area with a train line.

As for bad areas of these towns you listed, I guarantee that the worst parts of Dover and Morristown are nowhere near the bad parts of places like Patterson, some of the Oranges, even Montclair!!! Granted, they may be considered not "nice" areas in Morris county, but observations like that are all relative. They are not bad at all and far from dangerous.

Best of luck.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
oh no? are you sure about that?arent you the one that was quoting stats about the spanish population of Dover before? well why dont you check the stats on crime rates in neighborhoods that are dominantly black and hispanic. compare that with those of caucasian neighborhoods, compare that with asian neighborhoods, then get back to me. sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you.
The above post is a perfect example of ignorant, ethno-centrist thinking. Mr. Just1lion, if you had even a modicum of education you would know that someone's propensity to commit a crime has nothing to do with their race but with their socio-economic status. For example, in Irish neighborhoods of the early 1900's in NYC the crime rate was very high; but not because of their race or ethnicity but because of their socio-economic status. Check the crime rates for middle-class predominately black suburbs of Baltimore.... Check the same for middle-class black neighborhoods of Montclair, NJ and Piscataway, NJ...Sure there are not as many African-American middle-class neighborhoods as their are white ones but it has only been 40 years since they had to revolt to get rights that they were already supposed to have. It is a proven scientific fact that no one race is innately more civilized than another.
I don't know what racial or ethnic category you belong to Mr. Just1lion but if you are black shame on you. If you are white perhaps a sociology class at your local county college would do wonders for you.
Concerning the other comments about a black transplant in a white neighborhood and vice-versa: I know an African-American gentlemen who lives in Deal, NJ; he has never had a cross burned on his lawn. A young white colleague of mine rents an apartment near the intersection of Clinton Ave. and Astor St. in Newark. He has never been the victim of a crime nor had any comments or threats made concerning his race. When he was moving in a group of young unemployed black males offered to help us move his furniture. They did not even accept the money we offered them. I could give you more examples on how integrity has nothing to do with race and how incidence of crime does not either but it would be impossible to convert an ethno-centrist mind with a post on an electronic screen. Direct message me and I could recommend some books for you to read or perhaps a class you could take....SERIOUSLY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey