Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 AM

99 posts, read 310,175 times

Advertisements

Recently I drove through Hunterdon county and then decided to look at real estate prices just out of curiosity. I was shocked on how ridiculous the homes are priced there..Can anyone tell me the reason?

I do realize the neighborhoods are nice , some truly have beautiful settings and suroundings..but Ive also seen other areas that had a lot more businesses , stores plus newer/bette condition homes that were cheaper..puzzles me.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 04:09 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Are you kidding me? It's pretty reasonable actually, some spots more expensive than others but you can find a lot of house and land for the money in Hunterdon.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Recently I drove through Hunterdon county and then decided to look at real estate prices just out of curiosity. I was shocked on how ridiculous the homes are priced there..Can anyone tell me the reason?

I do realize the neighborhoods are nice , some truly have beautiful settings and surroundings..but Ive also seen other areas that had a lot more businesses , stores plus newer/bette condition homes that were cheaper..puzzles me.....
Simple, It's the location. Hunterdon is simply one of the most beautiful counties in NJ.
It may not be convenient for many but for those of us who love the open spaces and clean country air it is the best possible county to live in. I only wish I was living in Hunterdon but at the time I settled for second best which is Somerset County.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 AM

857 posts, read 2,002,524 times
I've always wondered about hunterdon county. Beautiful; no question. But where does all the money come from? Hunterdon is a trek to the city. Is that all pharma money out there?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
I've always wondered about hunterdon county. Beautiful; no question. But where does all the money come from? Hunterdon is a trek to the city. Is that all pharma money out there?
pharma, tech, telecom, entrepreneurs, drs, lawyers.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM

MOORESTOWN RESIDENT wrote:Are you kidding me? It's pretty reasonable actually, some spots more expensive than others but you can find a lot of house and land for the money in Hunterdon.

Hey MOORESTOWN RESIDENT:Your the last peson i want to argue with because I know from your posts you def. know your way around NJ and def. know a lot more about the state than myself, but to me $300k for an old farmhouse that needs work is not a bargain. Both Homes.com - Real Estate and Homes For Sale. and Realtor.com had virtually nothing under $250k except for condos. I believe most of the 1 bedrooms were going for about $170k,and again in my opinion thats no bargain. I also looked at "best places" and they had the average home medium at about $302k , again most of these ( as far as what I see)are not new homes or even 19th century Victorians,they are capes,ranches and are not in the best condition. THe Victorians with the huge pieces of land, I think were in the lower millions....

Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 AM

I've always liked Hunterdon's charm and location. If I had to live in central NJ that's where I'd be looking. That said, I do not believe that housing values have held up particularly well in most of Hunterdon. The commute distance is a problem for some and the communities with large homes that were built on 2 acre+ lots are not in vogue today, it's what people wanted in 2005. At one time I looked over there when I worked in Madison. I didn't find it particularly expensive either for what you get, some of the towns had high taxes but the western part of the county is very cheap.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 08-04-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
MOORESTOWN RESIDENT wrote:Are you kidding me? It's pretty reasonable actually, some spots more expensive than others but you can find a lot of house and land for the money in Hunterdon.

Hey MOORESTOWN RESIDENT:Your the last peson i want to argue with because I know from your posts you def. know your way around NJ and def. know a lot more about the state than myself, but to me $300k for an old farmhouse that needs work is not a bargain. Both Homes.com - Real Estate and Homes For Sale. and Realtor.com had virtually nothing under $250k except for condos. I believe most of the 1 bedrooms were going for about $170k,and again in my opinion thats no bargain. I also looked at "best places" and they had the average home medium at about $302k , again most of these ( as far as what I see)are not new homes or even 19th century Victorians,they are capes,ranches and are not in the best condition. THe Victorians with the huge pieces of land, I think were in the lower millions....
That's fine, you defined < $300K, etc., then yes, I would agree Hunterdon probably doesn't have too much housing stock in that range. Much of Hunterdon was built during the boom, big homes, big lots of land. Sure the older victorians and farmhouses could be on 10-100 acres+ and they will be a ton of money. It's God's country out there. If you went to out to Warren County, you will do far better for your money. In terms of real estate, 'expensive' should be defined as what you actually get for the cost, not how much something is.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 08-04-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM

Warren seemms very nice, but If we do ever move to north/central NJ I think I would choose Sussex, not thats its any nicer than Warren or Hunterdon, but to me it seems to have the best balance of :small homes/big homes, old/new, rural/suburban. Plus the wife loves the shopping along the Rt 206 corridor, both north and south of I80 highway....I will say again, Hunterdon county does have some really nice picturesque landscaping ,and truly awesome views ...If only I had everyone elses money..

Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
Quote:

I do realize the neighborhoods are nice , some truly have beautiful settings and suroundings..but Ive also seen other areas that had a lot more businesses , stores plus newer/bette condition homes that were cheaper..puzzles me.....
Really? I don't think the prices are surprising in Hunterdon. It's very pretty and hilly, many of the school systems are regarded as very good. It's within an ok commute to the Princeton corridor job market. If you worked in state gov't in Trenton, it would be desirable place to live too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey