Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea about this in Union City or Hudson County.

If I were looking into opening a small establishment on the ground floor of my house, and I can totally section it off from the upper floors, is this feasible at all or highly unlikely.

For some reason I feel like this is not an easy thing to do, but then I think of other places where I see internet cafe's, ski shops, dentists, all operating out of a regular house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 PM

604 posts, read 2,010,445 times
It all depends on the zoning for the property on which the "house" stands. Every house is not what it seems, its use is governed by zoning.

You may want to visit the City govt. - planning Dept. or zoning Administrator - and find the zoning for the property and determine the uses allowed in that zoning -- don't forget to check conditional uses. Dentist is considered a professional, so that is different type of use than, say, Internet cafe, ski shop which would be considered retail -commercial.

If what you intend to use the house a is a use "by right" then you can go ahead with your intentions ... Business licenses will be the next step.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:13 PM

256 posts, read 841,615 times
What kind of business are you looking to run?

If money is tight and you want to start a business, its a great idea to have an apt overhead that you can live in if needed, and get rental $$$ every month from when you eventually move out.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Does anyone have any idea about this in Union City or Hudson County.

If I were looking into opening a small establishment on the ground floor of my house, and I can totally section it off from the upper floors, is this feasible at all or highly unlikely.

For some reason I feel like this is not an easy thing to do, but then I think of other places where I see internet cafe's, ski shops, dentists, all operating out of a regular house.
It depends on the zoning and I'd have to believe that it is very, very unlikely that your house is zoned for what you want to do. I say this because, generally, commercial uses pay more rent than residential uses. If you bought the house and no one mentioned that you could use it the way you want to now, then I doubt it can be done according to existing zoning.

Check if your house is zoned for it. If your house is not zoned for it, then you need to apply for a variance from the board of adjustment. Its sort of an annoying process for the average joe, but its the sort of thing that a businessperson pushes through.

If you decided to operate the business without getting approval, you will likely face stiff fines if a single one of your neighbors decides to call the town to complain about the extra traffic or people coming to the new business down the street.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
Thanks for the input. No way I would do this without being zoned for it or having approval from the city.

Given my neighborhood I think it seems highly unlikely, but next step is to go to the city. I'd have to also get permits to change the apartment around to make it suitable for anything for retail or consumption.

Although, there is a bodega on the corner which very well could have been a house at one point, just converted to a store, so maybe tehre is hope. Also a bakery and other shops on the street behind me.

Now that I think about it, there is also a towing company that operates out of the large garage and is right in the middle of a pretty residential area.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
You'll also have to consider fire ratings between the commercial and residential use, accessibility for handicapped folks, and a host of other issues that come into play with commercial uses. All of this could add big $$ to your plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: