Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Blue Law in Bergen County?
I like it, shopping centers/malls should be closed on Sundays. 53 36.05%
Well, It should be at least half day open. 10 6.80%
I don't like it, everything should be open all week as it is else where. 70 47.62%
I don't care 14 9.52%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:47 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No , my answer is to the people whom think the the American citizen who take advantage of their right as Americans citizens and VOTE for the laws IN THEIR TOWN of Residence that they live in and said business owners work in or said business owners can chose if the y so like to take their business somewhere else. . That children is "FREEDOM in AMERICA.
I see both sides, but what I find troubling is that the law covers the whole county, when a town ordinance would be more appropriate. What if some towns overwhelmingly want the stores open in their town? Shouldn’t the people who live in those towns be able to decide that for themselves, or should they be held hostage to the county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 03:59 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I see both sides, but what I find troubling is that the law covers the whole county, when a town ordinance would be more appropriate. What if some towns overwhelmingly want the stores open in their town? Shouldn’t the people who live in those towns be able to decide that for themselves, or should they be held hostage to the county?
I understand but that is where the voting process comes in,if they don't like a law change it .The county is only enforcing the laws that the residents in those towns voted for and county businessman put up with .This is not a case of goverment oversight,far from it.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
No , my answer is to the people whom think the the American citizen who take advantage of their right as Americans citizens and VOTE for the laws IN THEIR TOWN of Residence that they live in and said business owners work in or said business owners can chose if the y so like to take their business somewhere else. . That children is "FREEDOM in AMERICA.
nobody has the right to vote to take away other people's rights. voting doesnt make doing something wrong ok.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
nobody has the right to vote to take away other people's rights. voting doesnt make doing something wrong ok.

No one is taking away anything you can shop in another county .The Citizens of Bergen county just don't want to shop in there county on Sundays. The people who live there have the right ,what you think does not matter.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The new America Dream Mall in East Rutherford claims that more than 1/2 of the mall will stay open on Sunday because it is 1/2 retail sales and 1/2 entertainment which the blue laws does not apply.

This kind of invalidate the Blue Laws completely, basically they got around the law. It would be huge revenue loss if they close on Sundays. People will see a sign posted at the mall that NO sale of merchandise on Sunday due to blue laws even though the mall is still open.

When I 1st saw a sign like that over a decade ago, I thought it was the most backward and ridiculous law ever made. It still is and hopefully that will change legislation in the future or wait til all the dinosaurs in Bergen die or move out.

Last edited by vision33r; 12-10-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 02:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
No one is taking away anything you can shop in another county .The Citizens of Bergen county just don't want to shop in there county on Sundays. The people who live there have the right ,what you think does not matter.
that isnt true. all you are saying is that the majority of the citizens who voted on the matter (assuming it was voted on, im not sure of all the facts) want to be able to tell other people not to shop on sunday. under normal circumstances, nobody is forced to shop on sundays so the vote is absolutely ridiculous. voting on telling others something that you have no right to tell them.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:07 PM

612 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Quote:
that isnt true. all you are saying is that the majority of the citizens who voted on the matter (assuming it was voted on, im not sure of all the facts) want to be able to tell other people not to shop on sunday. under normal circumstances, nobody is forced to shop on sundays so the vote is absolutely ridiculous. voting on telling others something that you have no right to tell them.

In his mind, the citizens of Bergen County could also outlaw you eating meat on a Friday as well. If you want to go eat meat, drive over to Passaic County.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoakman View Post
In his mind, the citizens of Bergen County could also outlaw you eating meat on a Friday as well. If you want to go eat meat, drive over to Passaic County.

Way to fail on the spin.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The new America Dream Mall in East Rutherford claims that more than 1/2 of the mall will stay open on Sunday because it is 1/2 retail sales and 1/2 entertainment which the blue laws does not apply.

This kind of invalidate the Blue Laws completely, basically they got around the law. It would be huge revenue loss if they close on Sundays. People will see a sign posted at the mall that NO sale of merchandise on Sunday due to blue laws even though the mall is still open.

When I 1st saw a sign like that over a decade ago, I thought it was the most backward and ridiculous law ever made. It still is and hopefully that will change legislation in the future or wait til all the dinosaurs in Bergen die or move out.
Didn't get a"around anything" the Laws have been like that for decades ,restaurants and Movie theaters and such have never been included.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
LOL,it is true , proof is the laws that exist right now . So shopping is a right but a persons right to vote on issues concerning themselves means nothing according to you , so you can pick and choose what is a right and what is not ,ok got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey