Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNNJBergen View Post
Got a summons/ticket in the mail today from Jersey City, stating that I parked in a bus stop on June 26th. I wasn't in Jersey City on June 26th and neither was my car. Of course because I didn't show up to court for the original offense I'm getting another charge added.

Any advice?????
OMG - you too?
I was going to post a few weeks ago - same thing happened to my son they said he was parked in front of a hydrant at New York & Ferry Ave.

I don't know what they are trying to pull but this is BS.

I figured the cop wrote his plate down wrong.

Go online & view the "ticket" it will say what kind of car it was. On ours it said BMW which it wasn't.

My son had the option of fighting it by mailing an appeal but there wasn't enough time to fill it in and mail it before the bench warrant went out.

The appeal paper said that even though you appeal it, does not mean that a warrant will not be issued and that they will find you not guilty.

Looked pretty bleak from where we were. Had we been closer we would have fought it in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
You can call the court administrator. The number is on the failure-to-appear notice. Be polite. Explain that you and your vehicle was not in Jersey City on the day and time listed to the notice. Ask to have the ticket examined for clerical errors. The officer's handwriting may have been misread while entering into computer. Also have him/her describe the vehicle as listed on the ticket. If the description doesnt match your car then state so. Ask to have ticket dismissed. If there are no discrepancies, you may have to plead not guilty and appear in court. You may still try to have ticket removed by phone if you are firm and have/offer proof of non violation. Each court is different. Some more strict than others.
If you do go to court, have them send (or pick up) a few blank affidavit forms and a certified copy of the original ticket before you go. Check for errors yourself and have witnesses (if possible) fill out affs affirming your car was not in JC.
If the clerk says she'll take care of it check the website listed on the notice to make sure the ticket is really removed.
They won't do it.
They wouldn't send us a copy of the ticket either.

btw, I tried talking to the lady that answered the phone, I was told I was wasting her time.
She said there is nothing she can do, the judge has to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Been to traffic court in three counties in VA and the District of Columbia so I've seen this happen to folks a few times. Do this: get a signed statement or Sworn Statement from people you were with during the time the ticket was issued. IOW, if you were at work, have your co-workers sign it. If at home, then folks at home. This proves that you were physically not in the spot when the ticket was issued. Contact someone at the courts and let them know what happened and that you have this Statement. Go down there in person if needed. Good luck!
The problem with my son is he has a work vehicle; his car was home.
I can't prove that no one took his car.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:24 AM

990 posts, read 2,557,560 times
This is apparently a long term scam up in that area. Years ago I received notice of a parking ticket from Harrison.

Harrison! to this point in my life I have never gone to Harrison, let along parked there.

I payed them their blood money, just so I wouldn't have to go there!!!

It seems to me this is like a lottery system...congratulations! it's your turn to pay.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 PM

390 posts, read 1,510,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They won't do it.
They wouldn't send us a copy of the ticket either.

btw, I tried talking to the lady that answered the phone, I was told I was wasting her time.
She said there is nothing she can do, the judge has to deal with it.
Each town is different. Some will do it some wont. The OP lives nearby so he can pick up the forms himself. It's worth it to look at the actual ticket for errors. And he would need to prove the vehicle was not at the location which is difficult unless you were driving it with passengers.
I admit it's difficult to fight it and most usu just pay the fine considering the costs/lost wages involved in a court appearance.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
Each town is different. Some will do it some wont. The OP lives nearby so he can pick up the forms himself. It's worth it to look at the actual ticket for errors. And he would need to prove the vehicle was not at the location which is difficult unless you were driving it with passengers.
I admit it's difficult to fight it and most usu just pay the fine considering the costs/lost wages involved in a court appearance.

I understand some towns are different..
The OP and my son got the tickets in the same town. lol

Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 AM

17 posts, read 40,221 times
Like Ellwood I got a ticket from Paterson back in the early '80s. Never went to Paterson back then. Well actually I got a summons in the mail. Checked the info and they had the vehicle description wrong. I remember all I had to do was call and the mistake was settled on the phone. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 57,461 times
Update: So I called the court house. Spoke to there traffic call center She checked. Found out that the Car description on the original ticket was a totally different car then mine. She mailed me an affidavit telling me obviously a mistake was made and I should fill it out and send a copy of my registration. The ticket was dismissed and I didn't even have to go to court. I called on Friday to confirm that everything was received. I'm waiting for a letter confirming the dismissal - so hopefully that's the end of that.
Thanks to everyone for responding.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:50 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,451 times
Good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey