Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:30 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times

Advertisements

In PA it depends on where you live too. We moved to PA and the taxes are 1/3 of what we were paying in NJ. There were areas we looked at they were the similar BUT the houses were bigger and more land.

I think you have to really do your research, including the cost of your commute, time, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
I'm paying MORE in taxes in PA then I did ever in NJ.......However, this home on 2 acres in NJ would probably be more then double the $5,000 in taxes I pay now.
Car insurance has always been cheaper here.....
Gas is never cheaper here.
Commute costs can add up big time for many who want to travel those roads.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,995,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USER876 View Post
Def cheaper, my friend lives in Landsdale, PA 2500 SF colonial in a nice planned community near all the stores and restaurants you will ever need, half acre of property, homes are in the low 400's and property taxes are under 5K. They work in Philly (40 min commute) and make NYC salaries. The same home/neighborhood 40 mins outside NYC would be 650-800K+ with 12-15K taxes.
NJ is more expensive that PA., and has HORRENDOUS tax property figures, but NYC, has very-low property taxes, compared to other parts of NY.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:09 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,347,989 times
The perennial question Years ago, Philly rag...oops, i meant mag...did a study of sorts of comparables, and the consensus was that, over time, the two pretty much broke even with PA having the lower taxes, but Jersey getting more house for the buck.

Although I'd like to live in So Jersey - primarily for the ocean - PA, for those of you who don't realize it, is a beautiful state with some astoudingly lovely architecture, hills, mountains and attractions. Actually Hershey, PA was listed as the 5th most affordable place to live for retirees - and it's really a nice town. The ultra-pricey DelVal areas include, in addition to the main line, Swarthmore, Chadds Ford, Concordville, Radnor, - and that's just DECLO. There are many pricey and beautiful places in Bucks and Montco as well. In Chester Co., the further out you go, the cheaper. Plus many love Lancaster county for the slow pace and farm-like atmosphere.

Last edited by soulsurv; 08-09-2009 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 AM

15 posts, read 40,404 times
I lived in both..Not much of a difference. Maybe you can get more house in PA but the state, county, local , township taxes will kill you.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:57 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,210 times
Lived in both- easy answer is: if you have to commute east, NJ is cheaper. PA is no bargain anymore. Add the higher price of gas, the tolls to cross the bridges, the wage tax in PA, and the two areas are about equal in taxes. Housing costs in Bucks, Chester, Delco, and Montgomery are equal to nice areas in NJ, or maybe even higher. Lehigh Valley costs are the same as some parts of Warren or Hunterdon.

Factor in that you'll have a shorter commute if you are going east (toward NY or northeast NJ), plus NJ's great shoreline, and NJ is a better place to live, IMO.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 17,494 times
If you work in Philly, NJ will credit back the city wage tax. Where if you live in PA and work in Philly, you will not be credited. Also, PA generally has a lower property tax but most municipalities have 1% wage. For most people, PA is still cheaper.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
People are comparing different cost in just a wide range of locations. You start with where you work and compare the surrounding area between NJ and PA. If you work in King of Prussia area, you will be foolish to live in NJ. I you work near the border of NJ,DE, I wouldn't make sense for you to go across the city.

I work in the city and wouldn't want to live in PA for 2 reasons.

1. city wage tax
2. ability to get out of the city quickly.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,089,850 times
Looking at both states in total, the answer to the question "Is it cheaper to live in PA vs NJ?", the answer is clearly "It's cheaper to live in PA." Areas in Central or North Jersey are almost always more expensive than anywhere in PA (of course there are some exceptions). South Jersey is almost always more expensive than anywhere in PA except for suburban Philly. However, SJ taxes are almost always more (sometimes significantly more). The PA individual income tax rate is a flat 3.07%, while NJ's rate is graduated and the rate is 6.37% btwn $75k-$500k and $8.97% above $500k.

You really do need to compare apples to apples when comparing NJ to PA. Don't compare, say, Woodbridge NJ with suburban Harrisburg. There are reasons why some places in PA are dirt cheap (little job growth, industry moved out years ago, too far off the interstate, tucked away in the mountains, etc.)

Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,089,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Main Line is nice in PA, if you are not there, I don't understand the attraction. The thing about the Main Line is it does not have many smaller homes, they are mcmansions on the small side on up to huge estates. Some towns out there have no housing stock outside of this. So, naturally, it is expensive. But you have to look at what you are getting for the money. When I compare similar homes on the Main Line to places like Haddonfield, Moorestown, Medford, Voorhees, Marlton, Cherry Hill, it doesn't look overly expensive. Granted it is not night and day, they are similarly priced.
Not true. Ardmore and Rosemont have more than their share of twins. Many homes in Wynnewood are very close to one another. Berwyn has many ugly split levels from the 50's and 60's, as well as small capes. Wayne has plenty of capes and ranches. Condos and apartment buildings, mostly in older (pre-60's) buildings, dot the Main Line, and there are even some rather dingy garden-style apartment complexes. The ML is not all huge estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey