Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:02 AM

162 posts, read 546,156 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for specialty market in union county, mostly for cheese, meets and breads. I'm really looking for french/bulgarian feta cheese .

I use to shop in Corrados in Clifton but out of my way now and always packed. Does anyone know of any shops in union, or somerse?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Meant to type in somerset county.... so no one knows of any places???

Old 08-09-2009, 06:09 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,774 times
I don't have an answer but I'm interested. I had bulgarian feta for the first time when I was in Florida last month and it was excellent. Much better than "regular" feta. I know in Florida it was bought in a market specializing in Middle Eastern food.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 AM

Yes it's delicous, I eat the cheese with everything. I'm albanian so we do that. Corrado has really good cheese. I'm also thinking maybe Elizabeth must sell it somewhere too. Well my search continues...

Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 AM

825 posts, read 3,160,549 times
I feel really bad that I can't help you, even though this is my own culture. I'm part of the younger generation, and the older ones failed to inform us of these places. It's hard to find these places with the good bread, cheese, and whatever else your looking for, because most people these days don't care about this kind of stuff. And that's why the really good and authentic places go under. They get they're "Italian" bread from the Shop Rite bakery, and they buy overpriced meat and "Italian" sausage from the butcher shop at Shop Rite, or any other supermarket. And also, you can't even get a halfway decent tomato at a supermarket. People buy they're gravy in a jar in Aisle 7.

Why do they do this? It's because Italians have been in this country for over 100 years, they've assimilated into American culture. It's just easier to buy all this stuff from the grocery store, and in this day in age it's almost impossible to go through all the effort to make a delicious Italian dinner using authentic ingredients and original recipes.

But there are some really good places around, you just need to find them. They're a lot harder to find these days. If you're interested in pork at all, I heard there's this place in Nutley that makes dynamite sausages on Franklin Avenue.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,691,251 times
Go across the GWB to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,060 times
I've got a great Italian deli for you in Bridgewater (it is located in the shopping center where Pier I is on Rt. 202 southbound).

K&S Italian Specialties
361 Rt. 202-206 South
908-595-1606

They were originally located in North Plainfield and I went there all the time. It is an old fashioned type Italian place with all those yummy cheeses hanging from the ceiling (at least the old place did). The food is fantastic with a big selection and it smells like heaven when you walk in the door. Haven't been to the new location yet, but these guys rock! Don't know if they carry feta cheeses, but if you are in the area you might want to check it out.

Last edited by Rowen; 08-09-2009 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Rowen - Thanks for the info, I will try K&S Italian Specialties when I get a chance. This is the type of place that I'm looking for.

STrapani1105 - I think it's sad that there is not too many of these places left. I personally hate going into shop rite and Stop n shop etc, they do not sell specialty meats and cheeses. They do sell little things but nothing compared to the small markets like LITTLE ITALY ( IN MANHATTAN) and the Bronx , Fairway and Zabars. I'm getting hungry now.

Thanks Guys

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,369 times
There is a place in Lyndhurst, Appettizzio's, I think they even mail out stuff, very good quality
Rosario's in east Rutherford is very good as well, or try Latona's in Garfield.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,239 times
In Union County, you can go to Casa di Trevi:

Casa Di Trevi :: Homemade Ravioli Pasta Sauces Wholesale : New Jersey Retail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey