U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 43 52.44%
no 39 47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 5,420,060 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Again, automobile safety and other safety measures are a separate issue. For many, it is worth the cost of an alarm system to protect themselves and their families...even if there is a small, but real chance of something happening.
I see it as a cost/benefit issue.

If a security system makes you safer, how much safer ? The way I see it is -- there comes a point where it's not worth the cost of eliminating risk. For example, you put your life at risk each time you step into an automobile, because you decide the benefit of protecting yourself from that risk is not worth the inconvenience.

Quote:
Are you one of those types who thinks nothing bad can happen to them?
I can assure you that I am quite vigilant in protecting myself against unnecessary risks, but that's really beside the point.

I asked what I thought should have been a really simple question -- how much safer ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Over There
5,129 posts, read 4,635,594 times
Reputation: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I see it as a cost/benefit issue.

If a security system makes you safer, how much safer ? The way I see it is -- there comes a point where it's not worth the cost of eliminating risk. For example, you put your life at risk each time you step into an automobile, because you decide the benefit of protecting yourself from that risk is not worth the inconvenience.
If you are a sane person you do everything you can to protect yourself when you get into your car also. You put your seat belt on, drive the speed limit, etc. It is not about risk, it is about what you do to prevent that risk. There is risk in everything we do but if there is a little something you can do to help prevent it, is it not worth it. Example: I hope you take the preventive step of learning to swim before you jump in a pool. Should I ask "why did you bother taking lessons, is it really worth the time"? I would not ask that stupid question because common sense tells me you did it because you don't want to drown. A house alarm is no different, it is all about trying to prevent the risks.

Quote:
I can assure you that I am quite vigilant in protecting myself against unnecessary risks, but that's really beside the point.

I asked what I thought should have been a really simple question -- how much safer ?
You are asking for people to predict the future. No one knows how much safer or unsafer you will be with or without an alarm. It is a different in every case. Perhaps you have never needed an alarm system and I pray you never do but in my case I may not be alive if I had NOT had one. So in my case I would say it kept me pretty damn safe because lets face it dead verses alive is A LOT safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 5,420,060 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
You are asking for people to predict the future. No one knows how much safer or unsafer you will be with or without an alarm.
I'm glad you understand the question, and I appreciate your honesty in both sharing your experience, and your response to my question.

Sorry to hear of your experience, and I don't doubt anyone in your situation would feel the same way.

Quote:
It is a different in every case. Perhaps you have never needed an alarm system and I pray you never do but in my case I may not be alive if I had NOT had one.
In my case, I haven't needed one yet, but I wouldn't rule out getting one depending on my circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 AM
 
312 posts, read 1,002,797 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
there ya go again, making things up. I've never looked into it, but based on the posts in this thread, it is well within my means.
If purchasing and maintaining an alarm system is well within your means then what is the real cost to you? Your argument is ridiculous because people buy an alarm system are getting one not just for "boogey men" attacks but also to protect their homes from ANYONE unwanted.

Also it may be true the odds of being the victim of a bogeyman is small, the consequences are huge and Cyberqueen's experience is a case in point. When you have a family to protect the consequences are even greater. If the cost of an alarm system is within one's means the cost is insignificant to all the benefits.

We all make our decisions on how we live our lives. At the end of the day who are you to judge whether people are acting rationally or not? There is nothing irrational about having an alarm system. And there is nothing irrational about having a fear of being the victim of a home invasion. Are you going to argue to Cyberqueen that she should not be scared of another attack because the chances are so small? Thank god she and an alarm system.

What is the point of continuing your argument? Do you just want to put people down as being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
15,044 posts, read 13,125,685 times
Reputation: 6421
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I see it as a cost/benefit issue.

If a security system makes you safer, how much safer ? The way I see it is -- there comes a point where it's not worth the cost of eliminating risk. For example, you put your life at risk each time you step into an automobile, because you decide the benefit of protecting yourself from that risk is not worth the inconvenience.
Poor example. Like I've said, safety in an automobile is separate and can't be compared to the issue of home safety. There is little to no inconvenience with an alarm system.

As for cost/benefit...the benefits of having extra security and detering trouble outweighs the cost, IMO. Are we ever going to be 100% safe? Of course not, but why not take the steps to lower risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973
I asked what I thought should have been a really simple question -- how much safer ?
I'm not sure how to respond to this since I can't give you a concrete answer. But you certainly would be safer with an alarm system than without. Doesn't take a genius to realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM
 
312 posts, read 1,002,797 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
This idea that a boogey man is going to break in and kill your kids is about as paranoid as it gets.

Of the kids I grew up with, I know of 6 untimely deaths -- 2 were suicides, one was a car accident, two were young kids who burnt in a house fire, and one died in a freak recreation accident.

If you're really worried about your kids, take care of the basics first (e.g. like installing an infant seat correctly as opposed to carrying a baby on your lap in the front of the car, etc), and make sure they grow up emotionally healthy.

So it really has nothing to do with peace of mind "if you have young children".

On the other hand, risk of having your place cleaned out is pretty high.

Elflord, you were not just asking a question about "how safer" is it. You basically said that worrying about someone breaking into your house to do you or your family harm is "as paranoid as it gets."

Every day in the news we hear horrible stories about home invasions and you can save your money if you like and take your chances. Personally I'd rather not be a statistic and I believe the safety of my family is worth much more than the dollars spent on my alarm system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,409 posts, read 2,925,190 times
Reputation: 1486
my alarm system is my 175 lb rottweiler named tiny..we usually leave all doors open at nite in the summer. dont need to worry with him around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
 
5 posts, read 11,428 times
Reputation: 11
It depends, once the alarm is activated sometime cops arrived 15 minutes. I don't know about other places, this happened to a friends house and cops didn't show up until after 15 minutes. I guess adt has to confirm all the passwords and what not. In answer to a questio why so many alarms, cause there are numbers of thieves in this states. My house almost got broken in, cause my door keys wont opne the door anymore and I notiiced there was agap bteween the door and the strike plate. I pushed it gently and it open checked my stuff and nothing was missing I don't know what deter the thieves. Oh the reason why they did not go through the windows cause I have Iron rail all over the house which sometime I feel I'm in jail. Ther's probably an average of break in once a day in the state of new jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,755,471 times
Reputation: 3681
the house i bought has one, and my wife's uncle runs an ADT business, so we're going to activate it.

why not?

would i get one if we didn't have one? i don't see a reason to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM
 
4 posts, read 7,423 times
Reputation: 10
Default Medical Alert Systems

[

Yes, I agree but keeping dogs can be cost effective.




quote=Sawdustmaker;15760607]I guess he never watched "It Takes a Thief"....dogs have to be trained to protect and the two ex-thieves on the show made good friends with the doggies left to "protect" while robbing a home. And the victims (who allowed the break-in) were always in shock over how easily won-over their dogs were by total strangers.

And at the end of the show a security system was always installed for free b/c dogs don't always deter. A blasting siren hooked up to the police station is more effective than a dog.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top