U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 40 54.05%
no 34 45.95%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Bucks, UK
523 posts, read 1,991,086 times
Reputation: 1049

Advertisements

i have a security system, mainly because it was already installed in the house we bought. nevertheless, i did go to the expense of getting it serviced and monitored. having initially thought it was massive overkill i now like the reassurance of knowing the property is being monitored for break-ins, fire, carbon monoxide etc both when we are in and away from the property.

it really isnt a case of living in fear or paranoia...its simply taking measures to prevent or minimize problems in the unlikely event that they occur. its primarily a logical decision, not an emotional one, although personally, the fact that i have children did also play a part in that decision.

arming the alarm at night or when we go out becomes habit, and barely registers in conscious thought...its certainly not a case of constantly being in fear of intruders or what might happen. id argue that its exactly because we have a security system that many of those concerns are now a non-issue.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Atascocita, TX via NJ of course
106 posts, read 160,231 times
Reputation: 50
I live in a relatively safe area, off the street, and my family was robbed in 2008. I was 1mo postpartum so you could just imagine my emotional state at the time. After that we got a security system. Last Sunday, would you believe someone was peering into my living room? I had to call the police. I think the would-be thief was thrown off by the security system.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
 
Location: occupied east coast
565 posts, read 1,052,999 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
This idea that a boogey man is going to break in and kill your kids is about as paranoid as it gets.

Of the kids I grew up with, I know of 6 untimely deaths -- 2 were suicides, one was a car accident, two were young kids who burnt in a house fire, and one died in a freak recreation accident.

If you're really worried about your kids, take care of the basics first (e.g. like installing an infant seat correctly as opposed to carrying a baby on your lap in the front of the car, etc), and make sure they grow up emotionally healthy.

So it really has nothing to do with peace of mind "if you have young children".

On the other hand, risk of having your place cleaned out is pretty high.




EXCUSE ME!!!!

Mom is an 80 year old widow. She has an alarm system.

Last year toward winter (early sunset), she was sitting in front of the television when someone tried kicking in her back door. The alarm sounded, mom (not a shrinking violet) got dad's old .38 and prepared for battle.

Fortunately the thug ran off from the alarm sounding, so no physical confrontation occurred (thank the Lord). Mom became a believer in the value of a Smith and Wesson that day, and continues to hold that attitude.

BTW. This was not some inner city poop hole, she lives in a nice section of Woodbridge Twsp in Middlesex county.

So don't think for one moment that it can not happen...IT DOES!!!!

Edited to add, Much to their credit, the Woodbridge Police dept. responded withing a few minutes, but was unable to locate any suspect. The police response gave my mother much comfort and a new found respect for the alarm system itself.

Last edited by banger; 08-17-2009 at 07:16 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 PM
 
1,235 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Reputation: 258
Hells yes I have an alarm system. The works! Every window and door, motion sensors, you name it, I have it.

And believe me, there are going to be more and more alarm systems popping up as income inequality increases and this recession goes on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,785 posts, read 10,257,750 times
Reputation: 2142
we had one installed and its well worth the $39 a month for piece of mind when we are working all day or away for some time on vacation. + at night .. We have key fobs so that I can sound the alarm in a second and the police will be here in a minute of two. ( I know this cause I set it off a while ago by accident and they pulled up within a minute while the monitoring company called me to ask what happened. )
I think an alarm is a very good idea
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: North Jersey
10,928 posts, read 15,485,958 times
Reputation: 6775
Nope unless you consider the dog, who would let Charlie Manson in the house for a doggie treat or the dastardly cats...lol
She does bark though if she hears something..most of the time it's a bear or deer in the yard.

I guess to each his own..what i hate seeing and I do see this in poorer areas is the wrought iron over the doors & windows..ugly
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 3,752,221 times
Reputation: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
EXCUSE ME!!!!

Mom is an 80 year old widow. She has an alarm system.

Last year toward winter (early sunset), she was sitting in front of the television when someone tried kicking in her back door. The alarm sounded, mom (not a shrinking violet) got dad's old .38 and prepared for battle.

Fortunately the thug ran off from the alarm sounding, so no physical confrontation occurred (thank the Lord). Mom became a believer in the value of a Smith and Wesson that day, and continues to hold that attitude.

BTW. This was not some inner city poop hole, she lives in a nice section of Woodbridge Twsp in Middlesex county.

So don't think for one moment that it can not happen...IT DOES!!!!

Edited to add, Much to their credit, the Woodbridge Police dept. responded withing a few minutes, but was unable to locate any suspect. The police response gave my mother much comfort and a new found respect for the alarm system itself.
What does that have to do with anything that I wrote ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:08 PM
 
27,654 posts, read 21,554,463 times
Reputation: 25300
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
This idea that a boogey man is going to break in and kill your kids is about as paranoid as it gets.

Of the kids I grew up with, I know of 6 untimely deaths -- 2 were suicides, one was a car accident, two were young kids who burnt in a house fire, and one died in a freak recreation accident.

If you're really worried about your kids, take care of the basics first (e.g. like installing an infant seat correctly as opposed to carrying a baby on your lap in the front of the car, etc), and make sure they grow up emotionally healthy.

So it really has nothing to do with peace of mind "if you have young children".

On the other hand, risk of having your place cleaned out is pretty high.
I think people have heard enough stories of people breaking into a house and taking a kid. Doesn't happen every day, of course, but Megan Kanka, Polly Klaus, and Elizabeth Smartt come to mind.

Often local burglaries are done by the stringy-haired kid down the block who decided to take up shooting heroin and needs some quick cash and knows you are not home all day.

Don't hide your money in a bible, taped under a dresser drawer or in the freezer. Those are the first places these guys look.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM
 
1,235 posts, read 2,386,875 times
Reputation: 258
No one really cares about protecting their stuff, at least I don't. It's the people.

The thing you don't want to happen is to walk in on someone robbing your house. An alarm can help with that.

Also, robbers try to hit the houses that they think are empty, but sometimes they mess up and you or one of your kids are home. Alarms can help with that too. If I had a teen coming home alone after school, an alarm could be reassuring there too.

And at night. The list goes on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: occupied east coast
565 posts, read 1,052,999 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
What does that have to do with anything that I wrote ?

Huh????

Your very first line states...

"This idea that a boogey man is going to break in and kill your kids is about as paranoid as it gets".

Oh wait...I see... you are speaking of the kids and I wrote of my mother, I see the confusion now.

Apples and oranges, I guess mom really doesn't have the right to live out her life.

Silly me.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top