Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 43 52.44%
no 39 47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM

88,273 posts, read 84,257,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i sometimes worry that people may want to steal my dog. she is very uniquely beautiful (i wouldnt take her to questionable areas because of this). however, she is old enough now that if someone were to try to break in, im pretty sure she would attack them. she would also defend me and my wife with her life without hesitation. i would much rather use up a few bullets than lose my dog in an altercation. she is 35 pounds now, maybe 50 full grown. enough to deter your friend but she isnt going to win the fight against an adult male.
Ah, just be careful with her. Yes, if someone is threatening your dog you should be able to shoot them without penalty. Not sure if a judge would agree with me, but hey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,629,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
I don't know how you'd measure that because you don't know which robbers skipped your house because they knew you had an alarm system?

Do you lock your doors? How do you know that actually helps? Why do you do it?
how do they know? the sloman's shield? LOL couldn't I just get a shield sans the system and increase my safety over having nothing?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 PM

18,429 posts, read 15,177,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post

So again, why not ? Because people may find them inconvenient, and they cost money.
I guess this is the main issue. I dont find them the least bit inconvenient, and the cost to me is negligible.

I glossed over the child seat issue because that does not pertain to me. I always put them in correctly. If there is a collision, those seats aint goin nowhere.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,828,236 times
install was free..

Quote:
Originally Posted by golubika View Post
How much approximately would it cost to install security system to 3 story house 3,500 sq feet? Are we talking about thousand dollars here? I understand that there is a monthly fee but i am actually interested in just installation price and what it depends on?

Thank you

Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,828,236 times
they are trying to justify NOT having one.. Thats whats happening here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
I read the thread, and I don't see the boogeyman stuff you are talking about.

I don't see the big deal with having an alarm system so I'm not quite sure I get it why it seems to annoy you that people have them.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 PM

119 posts, read 491,805 times
I'd never use any of these places that give you a free system, then charge you $30+ a month forever.

I think the $30+ a month fee is what makes people say they don't need it. It's a money versus value thing. Monitoring at $35 a month, after 2 years you've paid $840, and it continues at $420 a year, and you just can't cancel anytime. There is a commitment period that can go for years. In a safe area, I could see someone not wanting to pay it. That's a lot of money for something you can't see, or hold onto.

I had an electrician install and wire up my current home, as well as my last home, with quality components, then I price monitoring places.

After the initial cost of my install, I only pay $8.95 a month ($107.40 a year) and I can cancel anytime.

My last monitoring place was in Point Pleasant, and was more expensive. When you think about it, it doesn't really matter where the monitoring company is, because the alarm system dials out to them wherever they are, and they phone you and the local police. My current company is not in NJ, but it wouldn't matter if they were in PA, Connecticut, Florida, etc...

They only have to be "UL Listed". Do a google search for "alarm monitoring" and you'll find loads of $9, 10, $12 monitoring places. Narrow them down by searching for reviews, and you'll find a few that are considered top notch. You can't however always buy by price, as there is one company that charges $5.95 a month for monitoring, but they have horrible online reviews.

With my pre-installed system, and the price I pay for quality monitoring, I'd have to say that at the end of the first few years, I probably paid half of what the free installed alarms w/expensive monitoring would cost, and my costs would continue to be less over time.

I'm in the safest of areas, but things happen. They only need to happen once to **** you off, and it won't be happening to me.
When I go upstairs at night to sleep and close the door to my bedroom, I don't just feel safe, I am safe. When I go out for a few hours, if someone were to try and break in, my neighbors would hear about it instantly, and the police would be here in minutes. That's not a fake sense of security, that's real security. I'm living here 20 years and I've never been broken into, and I'm very confident that if someone were to break in while I'm not here, they couldn't get in and out with anything of value in a minute or 2.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:01 AM

312 posts, read 1,162,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrosteve View Post
I'm in the safest of areas, but things happen. They only need to happen once to **** you off, and it won't be happening to me.
When I go upstairs at night to sleep and close the door to my bedroom, I don't just feel safe, I am safe. When I go out for a few hours, if someone were to try and break in, my neighbors would hear about it instantly, and the police would be here in minutes. That's not a fake sense of security, that's real security. I'm living here 20 years and I've never been broken into, and I'm very confident that if someone were to break in while I'm not here, they couldn't get in and out with anything of value in a minute or 2.
I'm not even going to bother responding to some of the other posts because this is exactly my point. It only takes something to happen once to **** you off. Someone tries to open a door or break a window, alarm goes off, occupants wake up, neighbors wake up, police are notified and are on the scene within minutes.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,765 times
Suppose for your old grandpa or granny is at home and has fallen down of his bed and needs immediate help . Really a very crunch situation for an elderly man , this can be solved if an alert alarm system is being implanted. that can really help a lot in the cause.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 AM

5,525 posts, read 7,080,789 times
I'm a security tech and have some hints for you all that might be of interest.

For those who don't yet have an alarm, there are some good deterrents using phony alarm hardware and other tricks.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Leave a loud playing radio turned on in the kitchen when you go out.

- There's a neat nighttime device on the market that flashes colored LED lights that simulate a TV being on in a room. They claim it's almost impossible to tell the difference from a standard 27" LCD TV. Best for a dark, upstairs room. About $30-60.

YouTube - FakeTV Commercial!

-An alarm keypad plate screwed to the outside door frame is good, too. Connect an A23 [12 volt] battery to the red LED to indicate your "system" is armed.

- Dummy security cameras can be very intimidating to a bad guy and can be had as cheap as $6.00.

-Creating your own phony alarm stickers is a breeze, just search images for any "big alarm company " + "sticker", then copy and paste the warning sticker in Paint Shop or whatever and customize it as you wish [bogus phone number, etc] and then print them out on photo paper.

-Install dowels on all of your double-hung windows that prevent them from opening more than ~six inches.

-Never leave an extension ladder in your yard, stow it away somewhere or secure it to something with a really good chain/lock.

As for actual alarm installations, I recommend Security Screens.

They have a fine wire woven through the mesh, so that cutting the screen sounds the alarm. A magnetic contact attached will sound the alarm if the screen is removed. These are pretty expensive, though, but they allow leaving windows open and are practically false-alarm-proof.

Now, a few personal points about my system, it's quite elaborate as I spend extended times traveling. I have a digital video recorder set up with cameras all over the house and yard. The cameras have become amazingly cheap, some are selling for only $18.00.

Most burglars will ring your doorbell before they try to break-in to make sure nobody's home. I installed a tiny cameras that looks out through the door's window. I connected my doorbells to my DVR, which then immediately emails to me a snapshot of who was at the door. Here's one I received last May when I was 6000 miles away :

Attachment 67736

Oh, well, only a delivery, I called them and rescheduled.

Last edited by Tantalust; 08-18-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,228,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know from someone who used to do B&E's that dogs would deter him from choosing a house to burglarize more than anything else.
I guess he never watched "It Takes a Thief"....dogs have to be trained to protect and the two ex-thieves on the show made good friends with the doggies left to "protect" while robbing a home. And the victims (who allowed the break-in) were always in shock over how easily won-over their dogs were by total strangers.

And at the end of the show a security system was always installed for free b/c dogs don't always deter. A blasting siren hooked up to the police station is more effective than a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey