Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 43 52.44%
no 39 47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,258,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
It's not some kind of boogey man mentality and if you have the money for it, why not buy yourself some extra reassurance if it makes you feel better.
But "some kind of booger man mentality" is exactly what it is. Read the thread, and you'll see several posts which demonstrate precisely this mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,942,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
But "some kind of booger man mentality" is exactly what it is. Read the thread, and you'll see several posts which demonstrate precisely this mindset.
I read the thread, and I don't see the boogeyman stuff you are talking about.

I don't see the big deal with having an alarm system so I'm not quite sure I get it why it seems to annoy you that people have them.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 PM

367 posts, read 956,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
....Much to their credit, the Woodbridge Police dept. responded withing a few minutes....
Very comforting. When seconds count, the police will be there in minutes. It's always best to have a couple of friends with you, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM

312 posts, read 1,160,910 times
Turning my alarm system on at night and when i leave the house does not make me paranoid. The little work it takes is worth the increased sense of security it provides. I can arm my alarm system faster than i can turn the key in my door. Should I leave my house unlocked too? My house was broken into when i was a child and even tho no one was home or hurt, it sucks to have your house ransacked and trashed.

And elford1973, "bogeymen" do exist. We hear about cases in the news occasionally (e.g. Emily Smart). I admit the chances that someone will break into your house to abduct your child are small, but seriously it CAN happen and DOES happen. I would do anything to safeguard the safety of my child even if the risk is small. That includes using a car seat and all the other things you mentioned. Just because I am worried about someone hurting my children does not mean I neglect other aspects of their lives. PLEASE....

Old 08-19-2009, 08:12 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,942,476 times
The danger isn't that the robbers want to steal your kids. Most don't, elford is right on that. The danger is getting caught in the middle of a robbery.

Good point on locks. If alarm systems are overkill, maybe locks are too? In fact, if you think about it, most window and door locks are a total joke, aren't they? Really, they are just there to make us think we are doing something to protect ourselves.

We should start leaving those open too, because we're just scared of boogeymen after all

Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 AM

88,075 posts, read 83,928,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Very comforting. When seconds count, the police will be there in minutes. It's always best to have a couple of friends with you, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.
And apple pie and a bottle of corn oil? I don't get it.

Oh...never mind...

Old 08-19-2009, 10:02 AM

88,075 posts, read 83,928,707 times
I know from someone who used to do B&E's that dogs would deter him from choosing a house to burglarize more than anything else.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,491,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know from someone who used to do B&E's that dogs would deter him from choosing a house to burglarize more than anything else.
i sometimes worry that people may want to steal my dog. she is very uniquely beautiful (i wouldnt take her to questionable areas because of this). however, she is old enough now that if someone were to try to break in, im pretty sure she would attack them. she would also defend me and my wife with her life without hesitation. i would much rather use up a few bullets than lose my dog in an altercation. she is 35 pounds now, maybe 50 full grown. enough to deter your friend but she isnt going to win the fight against an adult male.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

29 posts, read 96,552 times
Default How much would it cost to install security system?

How much approximately would it cost to install security system to 3 story house 3,500 sq feet? Are we talking about thousand dollars here? I understand that there is a monthly fee but i am actually interested in just installation price and what it depends on?

Thank you

Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,001,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Agree, why put it on a car then? I think its personal preference not paranoia. In this day and age you have to be so naive to think you're safe in your own home no matter what town you live in.

I agree with you 100%. Whether you live in Alpine, Oradell, Lodi, or Newark, you can never be too trusting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey