U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 PM

238 posts, read 654,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
can you guys explain some basics to me. I know for a condo/coop, you need to get approval to rennovate.

But for a house??? why on earth do you need to get permit to rennovte your own house? especially if it's something internal like a bathroom or kitchen. I never heard of this requirement.

????
As someone pointed out - it depends on how extensive the renovation is and it usually becomes an issue when you sell the property, or if you make a claim against your homeowners insurance policy, or if someone gets injured and brings a lawsuit.

If the renovations are cosmetic then you are ok without permits. But if your renovation involves major plumbing, electrical or removing walls that could be structural supports, then their could be health and/or safety issues if the work is not done according to Code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 2,395,179 times
In addition to safety, it's also so the town can keep up with improvements and raise your property assessment accordingly. Hence all of the unpermitted finished basements you see around.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 PM

302 posts, read 1,039,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
Sounds like a tactic to knock the price down or get out of the contract.
Sounds like they're doing their due diligence.
Most contractors will tell you a permit isn't needed. bottom line: ask the building department.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:58 PM

588 posts, read 1,295,829 times
ok but is this a requirement or just for your own safety/peace of mind.

Lets say I redo all the plumbing, and of course i hire a licensed well reviwewed team to do it. But do not bother getting a permit or go through the town.

What will happen?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,503,534 times
I lived in Fair Lawn. We had some work done in out basement (added a bathroom and enclosed the garage and made it into a livable room). At the time, we decided not to get the permits, but we paid dearly in the end. We sold our home and had to spend $10k re-doing what was done incorrectly (or not up to code). We bought our home as a 1 bathroom home with a garage, but the town noticed we listed our property as 2 bath, and enclosed garage, so we had to have our home inspected for fire safety, electrical, plumbing and building. We failed electrical and plumbing. We had to rip out the flooring and plumbing and reinstall the plumbing and lay down new flooring.

Check with your town or ask a realtor if you know of any that you can talk with.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 AM
bay

425 posts, read 1,884,332 times
I have a quick question here. We are closing our house soon and we plan to renovate all of bathrooms. We will have minor plumbing moving in both full bath (like moving toilet or vanity to another side of wall). We have gone through everything with our contractors. However, he does not handle permits. Can we apply the permit by ourselves? Do we need a licensed plumber to perform the work if we apply for the permit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey