Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 AM

140 posts, read 535,812 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any recommendations on interior decorators in Northen NJ?

I browsed the website for NJ Interior Designers, but there's so many to choose from.

Do they charge buy the hour? Is the furniture they find at cheaper prices than at the retail furniture shops (ie. Ethan Allen, Raymour & Flannigan)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM

191 posts, read 590,994 times
diy! i found this great website on home decor and improvement - Young House Love. i'm hooked! it's so motivating and inspiring. take a look!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
diy! i found this great website on home decor and improvement - Young House Love. i'm hooked! it's so motivating and inspiring. take a look!
I am horrible at DIY. I have no sense of color coordination. I'm the type that goes into Pier 1 Imports and loves all the stuff, but don't know what to do with any of those pieces lol

Old 08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post

I browsed the website for NJ Interior Designers, but there's so many to choose from.

Do they charge buy the hour? Is the furniture they find at cheaper prices than at the retail furniture shops (ie. Ethan Allen, Raymour & Flannigan)?
I don't have any specific recommendations except to say that interior designers are SUPER expensive. When we moved into our house, I contacted several decorators only to be SHOCKED by their prices.

Usually the way it works is they charge a flat fee per room, say $200, which is pretty low plus the cost of materials (paint, furniture, window treatments, etc). And that's how they get you!! They work with their own suppliers and they charge you arm and a leg. That's how designers make their money - they get a cut from those "suppliers". I got several quotes for my family room (not a big room at all) all around $40,000!! - no kidding. For a few pieces of furniture, a rug and some window treatments - yeah...I don't think so.

By they way, if you buy from Ethan Allen, they offer free design services.

Good Luck

Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
I don't have any specific recommendations except to say that interior designers are SUPER expensive. When we moved into our house, I contacted several decorators only to be SHOCKED by their prices.

Usually the way it works is they charge a flat fee per room, say $200, which is pretty low plus the cost of materials (paint, furniture, window treatments, etc). And that's how they get you!! They work with their own suppliers and they charge you arm and a leg. That's how designers make their money - they get a cut from those "suppliers". I got several quotes for my family room (not a big room at all) all around $40,000!! - no kidding. For a few pieces of furniture, a rug and some window treatments - yeah...I don't think so.

By they way, if you buy from Ethan Allen, they offer free design services.

Good Luck
Wow!! $40,000 for a small room that is crazy. Back to the drawing board for me LOL. I really was looking for guidance in decorating the one space, but I guess there's no service for that. I'm going for a modern look and if done wrong can look so crappy.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Most decorators are not going to come back with $40,000 quotes to redecorate a room- especially if you explain your budget up front. If you're just looking for advice on colors, styles, etc., most will work on an hourly basis, with rates anywhere from $60-100/hour. You also want to stick with interior "decorators", as opposed to interior "designers", as the latter tend to think very highly of themselves, and it shows in their rates.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
I would just look for a local decorator that advertises or thru word of mouth who has the talent. Once you get into an interior designer, they have the credentials to rip down walls etc. They come at a high price.
In some states a degree for an interior decorator is not needed as here in Fl. and a decorator will cost you alot less.
You should go into the home or house threads and post some pics of your rooms. You can get some great, free advice there, I know I have given some!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

I am acquainted (barely) with one, but I only know his first name. He was featured in a magazine last year--might have been New Jersey Monthly but I am not 100% sure. He's in the northwestern Bergen County area.

My roommate knows him, so I will ask him tonight and if I get a name I'll send it to you.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:

you want a great idea? go to Ethan Allen. Talk to someone there.

You can do one of two things:

1. Bring in floor plans. I've gone in with measurements and said - this is what i have, what can I do in this room. They give me ideas like "by a torch-lamp, it will make the room look bigger". Well - you don't have to buy the torch lamp there!

2. Have them come out to your home and they will help you pick out colors, fabric types, furniture types, etc. Again, you don't have to buy everything from there, but may buy some stuff to "pay" for your interior design services you received.

I found an ethan allen dining table I liked barely used on craigslist for $700 instead of $2,200. I'll probably end up buying the chairs at Ethan Allen, though they aren't cheap. But I found looking around, they really aren't that "expensive" either for what you get.

Basset Furniture is slightly less expensive. Raymour is too, but they have more "modern" looking furniture.

It stinks, but quality furniture is expensive. You can drive down to North Carolina, rent a truck and save some cash, but that's about it if you want solid furniture.

Also, a great place to pick up some stuff to accent around your home - onekingslane.com and sights like it.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
also something to consider - start maybe with paint colors. this is easy, just look in magazines that recommend colors. watch a lot of TLC and the Home and Garden channels. There's a lot of free ideas out there.

One thing I read recently: living rooms should be a soft yellow. This invites people to stay longer and converse more. Dining rooms should never be read. It encourages fast and more eating - they recommended a greyish color (would have to look in the mag again to get specific). Kitchen was recommended to be a blue-grey. Bedroom a light blue.

There's lots of great ideas on colors. Once you pick a paint, then it's just a matter of matching colors to the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey