Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 AM

12 posts, read 30,579 times

Advertisements

Anyone a commuter from this complex?? Place seems safe but I heard the 159 takes an hour into PA and is not the best. Has anyone WALKED to BayBridge/Lemoine for the Spanish buses from the far end of the complex?

If I work in Midtown East (51st/Lexington) how long would this latter option take? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 01:24 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hol4 View Post
Anyone a commuter from this complex?? Place seems safe but I heard the 159 takes an hour into PA and is not the best. Has anyone WALKED to BayBridge/Lemoine for the Spanish buses from the far end of the complex?

If I work in Midtown East (51st/Lexington) how long would this latter option take? Thanks
There are 3 159 lines...

- 159T (Turnpike Express)
- 159R (River Road Express)
- 159 (local).

Never take the local.

If you must get to work early, go for the 159T. 30 minutes to Port Authority. You would then get the S shuttle from Times Square to Grand Central and take the green line (4/5/6) to 51st.

I'd estimate 20 minutes minimum from PA to 51st/Lex. It'll take 15 minutes to get to Grand Central. Figure the rest out on your own.

The 159R takes about 45 minutes. It runs frequently; the 159T, however, runs 3 times only in the morning and only twice on the return commute (545PM and 615PM). So, you must plan your commute accordingly.

The 159T's times are available on New Jersey Transit - Home. Download a PDF version of the 159 schedule.

Also, if you hang out in the city after work, keep in mind that the 159Rs/locals run less and less as you run later into the night. I think the last 159 leaves PA at midnight or 1AM. After that, no buses... and also remember that after midnight no Latino vans run from the 175th Street GW Terminal in Manhattan to Bridge Plaza in Fort Lee. If you have stayed that late in NYC, you will have no resort but to pay $ for a taxi to drive across the GW Bridge - they'll charge $25 to $40. Or more.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
There are 3 159 lines...

- 159T (Turnpike Express)
- 159R (River Road Express)
- 159 (local).

Never take the local.

If you must get to work early, go for the 159T. 30 minutes to Port Authority.
good advice here.

Quote:
You would then get the S shuttle from Times Square to Grand Central and take the green line (4/5/6) to 51st.

I'd estimate 20 minutes minimum from PA to 51st/Lex. It'll take 15 minutes to get to Grand Central. Figure the rest out on your own.
there's no need to take the shuttle to grand central and then switch to the 4/5/6 train.

from the port authority bus terminal, the OP can hop on the E train, which stops at lexington & e. 53rd st. the ride is probably about 8 minutes, not including the time to get from the upper levels of the bus terminal to the subway on the lower level.

Quote:
Also, if you hang out in the city after work, keep in mind that the 159Rs/locals run less and less as you run later into the night. I think the last 159 leaves PA at midnight or 1AM. After that, no buses... and also remember that after midnight no Latino vans run from the 175th Street GW Terminal in Manhattan to Bridge Plaza in Fort Lee. If you have stayed that late in NYC, you will have no resort but to pay $ for a taxi to drive across the GW Bridge - they'll charge $25 to $40. Or more.
actually, the 159 local bus does offer (infrequent) all-night service - after 1am, there are buses that depart the port authority bus terminal at 1:10am, 1:40am, 2:50am, 3:30am, 5am, and 6:10am before continuing with regular morning service:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0159.pdf

and while i'm not well-versed in the specific latino shuttle van schedules, i do believe that at least one of the vans operates all night long and may bring the OP reasonably close to fort lee. the van i'm thinking of departs from the south side of w. 42nd st between 8th and 9th aves in midtown (just outside of the port authority bus terminal) and runs along bergenline avenue through union city, west new york, guttenberg, and north bergen toward the hudson/bergen county line. i'm not 100% sure of this, but the van may even continue beyond the county line along anderson avenue into fairview and cliffside park.

at the very least, it's worth investigating (probably by speaking directly with the latino van drivers; i can't find any info about the vans online).

another option for getting home to fort lee late at night is to take the A train uptown to 175th street, which will bring you to the george washington bridge terminal. from there, you can walk across the george washington bridge (assuming no shuttle vans are available at that late hour and that you are unwilling to pay for a cab ride across the bridge). it's only a 20 minute walk from one end of the bridge to the other, and once you're on the fort lee side, it's about a 1 mile walk to the linwood park complex. you can also catch a cab once you arrive in fort lee, which will be far cheaper than taking a taxi from nyc. just make sure to call for the cab at least 15 minutes in advance; this requires having 1 or 2 fort lee-area cab agency numbers saved in your cell phone, which is advisable anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey