Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 PM

861 posts, read 2,716,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Unfortunately, identifying the individuals can't always be top priority -- particularly in cases where the accident victims cannot identify themselves to the rescuers.
I am a reasonable person, and I do see how chaotic accident scenes can be, and how easy it is for people to get seperated from their IDs, etc. But still, isf there is any reason to be unsure that identity has not been 100% established... hospital staff should NOT tell family members that that their loved one is dead. They should be honest, and continue to operate under the reality they they just don't know who they have in front of them, and have a family member come help ID the victim in person.

As an aside, to anyone who may be following this story still, my Nana is not doing well. The morning after the accident, she became very swollen and was losing feeling in her lower extremeties, so the doctors thought it was very necessary to operate to avoid paralysis. However soon after prepping her for surgery, her blood pressure & vitals drooped very low and they decided she was not stable enough to operate on. Surgery was discontinued and she has been in a medically induced coma ever since. But she is not doing well in that state. They have put her on a ventilator, but fear she may be at risk for pneumonia just based on her age. We're just taking it day by day right now, hoping maybe she will get strong enough for surgery, and heal & get a little stronger every day.... But we also know its a real possibility she may not pull through. =(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,951,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I am a reasonable person, and I do see how chaotic accident scenes can be, and how easy it is for people to get seperated from their IDs, etc. But still, isf there is any reason to be unsure that identity has not been 100% established... hospital staff should NOT tell family members that that their loved one is dead. They should be honest, and continue to operate under the reality they they just don't know who they have in front of them, and have a family member come help ID the victim in person.

As an aside, to anyone who may be following this story still, my Nana is not doing well. The morning after the accident, she became very swollen and was losing feeling in her lower extremeties, so the doctors thought it was very necessary to operate to avoid paralysis. However soon after prepping her for surgery, her blood pressure & vitals drooped very low and they decided she was not stable enough to operate on. Surgery was discontinued and she has been in a medically induced coma ever since. But she is not doing well in that state. They have put her on a ventilator, but fear she may be at risk for pneumonia just based on her age. We're just taking it day by day right now, hoping maybe she will get strong enough for surgery, and heal & get a little stronger every day.... But we also know its a real possibility she may not pull through. =(
I agree, they should not tell someone their loved one died until they are 100% sure. That is just common sense. Did they tell the other woman's family that she was still alive?

I hope she pulls through, hang in there.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM

861 posts, read 2,716,446 times
If anyone has still been following or wondering about this story... it is exactly one week after the accident and my Nana Gladys just went into surgery this afternoon. She went in around 4pm, and surgery is expected to run 4-5 hours. They warned us there is a chance she might not survive the surgery, but we are hoping for the very best. Continued thoughts & prayers are very much appreciated!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:55 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,270 times
You have my prayers, Heather.

I remember my great grandmother dying when I was three - Not a pleasant event. Unfortunately I never got a chance to meet my paternal grandparents as my grandfather died of pancreatic cancer the year before I was born, and my grandmother died of stomach cancer in the early 1970's.

Immediate family is important, and hopefully she'll pull through and God will grant you all more time with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey