U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 AM

4 posts, read 20,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyspot View Post
I have my MA in Counseling Psychology and a EdS in Mental Health Counseling (total 60 cr). Yes you do need to have 60 cr prior to getting the LPC but take note that you have to pass a touch NCE exam and have 4500 supervision hours. The Board located in Newark are making the req's tougher. I am in prep to take the NCE exam in Oct.

As far as School Counseling is concerned, it really depends what you would like to do. With an LPC, you can have your own practice. Please be advised that you should get your LPC. My director has told me categorically that she cannot hire anyone with just a masters anymore because the reqs in the state are becoming tougher (new administration). PM me if you have more questions. I have been in the field for 5 years now.
Thanks for anwering my Q. I have a few more. MA in Counseling Psychology already takes 60 cr, how much more did you do for Eds? I have heard if ones college is CACREP accredited, one can take the NCE exam right away, since you didn't do that, is it because the prog was not accredited or did you choose to do that? How long did it take to do 4500 hours? Good luck with your exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 AM

106 posts, read 145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplepersonM View Post
Thanks for anwering my Q. I have a few more. MA in Counseling Psychology already takes 60 cr, how much more did you do for Eds? I have heard if ones college is CACREP accredited, one can take the NCE exam right away, since you didn't do that, is it because the prog was not accredited or did you choose to do that? How long did it take to do 4500 hours? Good luck with your exam.
My MA in Counseling Psych was a total of 48 cr. I had to go back for the EdS which I receive the extra 12 cr for a total of 60 credits. I went to Seton Hall, it has the normal accrediation by the Middle States but not the CACREP accrediation. It took about 2 years for the 4500 hours. I use my paystubs to prove the time served. Thanks so much! I just rec'd the book to study a few days ago and I just began studying.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,732 times
Contact the board, in NJ, they have changed the regs that if your MA degree does not have the word "counseling" in it- you can not apply for the LPC. I have my MA and will be taking the NCE in Oct and then applying for the LAC (Lic. assoicate counselor) which does not require any hours supervised, but its a temp lic. before you apply for the LPC, which is 3 years post grad or 4,500 hours. A degree in SW will not get you the LPC, only LSW and then with supervised hours, LCSW. I know many with PHD and PsyD's and this is reallly if you are going to be a psychologist in private or in agency. Some program supers jobs require this, but thats all- psych testing is really the only edge it will give you. School Counseling is way to go if you like kids. You need the MA and certificate to work in a school. Most Graduate shcools have raised there programs to 60 cr because this is what is needed for the LPC. Be warned, if the school is not CACARP accred. the state of NJ will be major pains, be prepared to fight for all courses. Save your syllbuss'

Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,211 times
Hi there - follow-up question. How hard is it to get a job after receiving MA in Counseling Psych, in order to get those 4500 (in PA, where I live, it is 3600) hours for licensure? What would the available opportunities actually be? Thanks! -Kelly

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 PM

It depends where you work...actually if you PM me I can provide you with my email addy. My job in Jersey City is hiring for a therapist.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,064 times
I have just taken the NCC exam in October and waiting for my results. Does it take 8 weeks? What r the steps after the exams if you pass. I am currently working as n admin for on for profit org and wants to consel in the future.

Last edited by Tesshel3; 11-11-2009 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: word spell wrong

Old 11-15-2009, 04:57 AM

It has been my experience if you pass the NCE, you will get the results back sooner than the 8 weeks. My co-worker took the test on the same day and that is what happened. (I didn't pass by the way, by 5 whole pts). After you pass you want to apply for licensure: go to counseling.org and click on state licensure and the state which you are seeking licensure. Did you complete your 4500 hours yet? They need proof of that as well.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,540 times
I already have EdS in School Psychology, but want to have my own practice in the future. Should I go for PhD or try to convince the board that I have enough practice and take the LPC exam? I have been working in school for 2.5 years. Also, does any PhD program in psych. field work or do I have to take only approved by APA?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM

84 posts, read 62,896 times
Default Questions about LPC/LAC

I saw your post about LPCs. I am attending Monmouth U after being out of the industry for years. I got my MA from FDU in 1987 in clinical psych. I have finished 12 credits so far but am not sure whether to switch out of the MS counseling (60 credit) program to the MA counseling (30 credit). My advisor took a look at my transcript and wondered why I was in the MS since a lot of the coursework overlapped (MU won't accept any of my other credits since I already got my degree). My other MA was 42 credits and would give me 102 grad credits if I complete that with the MS. The MS is CACREP accredited so I feel it's the safer bet even though the NJ laws haven't changed yet and I may be able to apply some of my other grad classes (MA from FDU) to the 8 areas outlined for the NJ LPC license. I'm in the process of writing to the NJ state board to find out if they'll accept any of my other credits before the laws change. Any thoughts?

I'm also 48 with two young children so any time/money I can save would be really important. I still have to go for my internship so it'll still take awhile...My advisor thought I should switch, apply to the Board and take my NCE test before completing the 30 credits and go back to the MS if they deny me.

TIA.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
I am a licensed LPC and am having trouble finding a job. Most employers want social workers. What do you recommend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey