Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:39 PM

730 posts, read 2,888,232 times

Advertisements

Do you still have your ticket? If I were you I would bring it to court with you when you go.

I was actually in court in Jersey City yesterday (someone assaulted me) and there was a guy who this happened to.

He had to pay a fine. If you have your ticket, that could possibly work in your favor.

Did you actually show the cop your ticket? Why did he give you a summons for not showing the ticket? Did he say you had the wrong ticket or NO ticket??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 PM

13 posts, read 68,128 times
Thanks, LynnePatrice. Yes, I showed the ticket for the cop because I have the round-trip ticket. He said it's not validated and because I am asian, he asked me for ID. I didn't take ID with me and he thought I am illegal. So he hand-cuffed me to police office. He took the first ticket said it will be used as evidence. And I kept the second one. I have no knowledge about the summon. Is it a criminal? I asked the cops if it's criminal. One of them said Yes, the other said No. I am really afraid it will be a bad record for me. Because I heard if you have any record, the employer won't accept you when you find a new job. Or is it possible for the summon to be cancelled?--I know it's a silly question. But I really want to know what I am going to do? But for sure, I will go to the court to explain everything to judge.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM

88 posts, read 298,035 times
don't worry too much. you'll probably just get a fine when you go to court. they get a lot of people for the same stupid thing

Old 08-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Yes, I won't worry at all about it. It won't go on your record or anything, it's just a fine, not a crime really (maybe technically but nothing that will go on your record). If you show up to court with your ticket, explain the situation, you might even get it dismissed.

The person I saw in court had an expired pass or something and said she didn't know it had expired. She still had to pay a fine cause that's just her stupid fault. I think you might be fine since it was an honest mistake.

Also, you should always have ID on you!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Thanks, LynnePatrice. Your words really let me feel better. So you think the complaint-summons won't have any record? I still worry about it.

From the paper, the compainat is the cop's name.

It said: the complainant says that to the best of his/her knowledge, information and belief the named defendat:

Within the Jurisdiction of this court, commit the offense' of theft by riding a NJ transit HBLR train without payment or offer to pay in violation of H.J.S.

it's charge: 2C:20-8A

The cop told me it's a theft. But I have the ticket. I am really confused.

My friend told me if it's a charge, I will have record and I could not find any job from the employer who run the background check and even I couldn't rent some apartment who requires background check. --Is it true? LynnePatrice?

If they are going to fine, why don't they just give me a ticket instead of charging me and asking me to go to court?

Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM

They have been handing out these "tickets/fines" for a while now and tons of people have been getting them. This will NOT go on any permanent record so please don't worry about it. I think the only thing that employers care about or can ask about is if you have any felony arrests. This is a simple fine, like a parking ticket or something. Your friend is either being mean or just ignorant of the situation.

Don't worry about it. Seriously.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:20 PM

Thanks a lot! LynnePatrice. This is my first time to come here and I know somebody will help me. But I didn't expect you are so patient to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The cop said the court date showed on the paper I need to show up is just reguarly getherring information. Judge will give me the second day which go trial, he will be plaintiff. Is he correct?

And what kind of document or evident I need to bring to the court? I have my credit card report (which shows I never pay late before), a round trip ticket left. I will birng the honor student certification with me to show I was a good student. I will bring my last year tax return form showing I donoted $400+ to earthquake people. and any other document should I bring with me?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:36 PM

OK, I still think you are messing with me but I'll answer anyway.

You don't need to bring your credit card statement or anything like that. Just bring your ticket and your ID of course and tell them what happened. They will probably dismiss it. If they don't dismiss it you can just plead guilty and they will issue you a fine to pay. If you plead NOT guilty you will have to prove you bought a ticket that day and I don't think they will accept a ticket that's not validated. The fine is $100 I believe.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:44 PM

Sorry for my over-worry.... it's my first time, I never imagine it will happen to me and I really felt exhausted these two days.

But now I understand what I need to do is to bring the ticket and ID and explain to Judge what happened. If they said I am guilty and need to pay the fine, is there any bad record for me?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:48 PM

No. It doesn't go on your record. DOn't worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey