U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 31,663 times
Default anybody can help me? got a summon from NJ

Hi,

My friends asked me to arrive at the hobokn path station at 9:00. So I took the light rail, it's my first time to take light rail and I have round-trip tickets. I got the wrong train and it took me to the 2nd street. I've never been to Hoboken before and I just got out of the train and want to figure out where I am and which train I should take.

A policeman stopped me and asked me if I have tickets and I said yes. He said I need to validate the ticket and I asked him where I could validate the ticket because I expected someone would check my ticket on the train. And then he asked me for ID. I didn't carry the valid ID with me and they caught me and took me to the police office and gave me the complaint-summon. It said: Within the jurisdiction of this court, commit the offense' of theft by riding a Nj transit HBLR train without payment or offer tio pay in violation of N.J.S.

They said I have to go to court, otherwise I will go to jail. I asked the policy what's the result will be, they said if they knew, they will go out to make more money instead of staying here.

I was shocked and I don't what to do. I have no crimianl record and I was a good student and have a very good credit record.

Anybody can give me help? I really appreciate!

Thank you!!!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 26,069,460 times
I can tell by your spelling and grammer that you are not from here. They say ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law but in your case some slack should have been given since you were unaware of how things work.

But no one ever in my life time has ever known cops to give a poor soul a break. Shame on them for what they did to you. When you get back home, mail that summons with some big fat font text telling those pigs what you think of them. Close your letter with a big fat F YOU.

Good luck to ya.

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:45 AM

3,150 posts, read 5,507,754 times
Oh look another first time poster who just happened to have an unusual issue in NJ and happened to find this site and post about it. Phuleeze.

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Hi, I am not complaining, but I am seeking your guys suggestions and opinions.

I was totally shocked and have no idea what to do and how to deal with the issue.

I will go to the court for sure. But what else I can do?

Thanks a lot!

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass3 View Post
Hi, I am not complaining, but I am seeking your guys suggestions and opinions.

I was totally shocked and have no idea what to do and how to deal with the issue.

I will go to the court for sure. But what else I can do?

Thanks a lot!
Where are you from?

There is no justice in our courts here. Forget that.

Unread 08-14-2009, 11:02 AM

I am living in Jersey City for 2 years and I took path to New York city for work every day. I am originally from Asia.

Thanks!

Unread 08-14-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass3 View Post
I am living in Jersey City for 2 years and I took path to New York city for work every day. I am originally from Asia.

Thanks!
So you are saying you been taking that train for 2 years and dont know their rules?

I'm not picking on you but there is something you have not told us.

Unread 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM

730 posts, read 1,662,427 times
I suspect a troll, but if not...

The first thing that makes no sense is if you were supposed to meet your friend at the Hoboken train station, why would you take the light rail if you are unfamiliar with it? You say you take the path train all the time so why not just stick with the path train???

Unread 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM

130 posts, read 301,462 times
OP, tell us the real story. not the one u told to cops. expect some bashing but u will definitely get good help here.

Unread 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM

To LynnePatrice and skapur:

This is the detailed story.

I took the path from Exhange place to New York for 2 years and everytime I bought the ticket and use the smartlink card, that's it. It's really easy.

I never took Light rail before. There is light rail station close to me, so I heard it can take me to Hoboken. I just took it for the first time. After I got on the train, I expected some people would check the ticket. But no one checked the ticket-- which surpised me. I expected the train will stop at Hoboken and I could get off. But it tooks me to the 2nd street, it said the next stop is 9 street. I thought I took the wrong train and got off.

Thanks for any help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey