Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,379 times

Advertisements

Selling our city apartment and heading to NJ. Researched a lot of towns over the past year+ in Bergen, Essex, Morris, Union, Monmouth and Bergen and landed on 2 very different locations: Rumson (or) Fair Haven and Ridgewood (or) Glen Rock. We like both areas so it is a bit of a toss up. Looking for people who actually know these areas well to get their thoughts. One main concern for me is the drug use (heroin?) at the Rumson/Fair Haven high school that I've read about, but it seems like if it's not an issue everywhere yet... it will be. Having lived in the city for so long, with no family or friends in either of these areas, I'm looking for some insights.

Where are you coming from? West Village
Why are you moving? Better quality of life, schools, space
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? World Financial Center and Downtown Jersey City

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? $1m
What kind of place are you looking for ? 4 bedroom, 2-3 bath, basement, less than .5 acre, pool would be nice
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? spouse, 2 elementary school aged children
Do you need/want good public schools? yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: safe, walkable, nice downtown nearby, somewhat diverse, family friendly, laid back/

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. commute no more than 75 minutes, family oriented, urban vibe

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 11:14 AM

255 posts, read 455,292 times
The only way you're getting to the Financial District in 75 minutes or under from the Rumson area is if you take the ferry. That's great if your job pays a lot but it's very expensive.

If you like the beach, I'd personally take Rumson over Bergen especially if you're taking the ferry. It's not remotely "urban" though as far as the vibe. Nor is Rumson diverse.

The Jersey City commute will be a bit tricker and longer from Rumson, though. Gotta take the train to Newark and then the PATH.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:25 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
The only way you're getting to the Financial District in 75 minutes or under from the Rumson area is if you take the ferry. That's great if your job pays a lot but it's very expensive.

If you like the beach, I'd personally take Rumson over Bergen especially if you're taking the ferry. It's not remotely "urban" though as far as the vibe. The Jersey City commute will be a bit tricker and longer from Rumson though. Gotta take the train to Newark and then the PATH.

At 1MM home ferry prob isn't issue. I'd agree though none of the Monmouth County places are "urban"- the Bergen ones would give you that somewhat- although in Monmouth you'd be near Red Bank which has an urban vibe. NONE of these places are diverse, but the taxes are going to be much lower in monmouth; Rumson shockingly so, but you'll be shocked at what a million dollars gets you in Rumson....
I've not heard of any real issues of heroin in RFH at all....maybe I'm out of the loop -but I don't think this is a thing to really worry about...

Old 05-25-2016, 12:45 PM

351 posts, read 481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post

If you like the beach, I'd personally take Rumson over Bergen especially if you're taking the ferry. It's not remotely "urban" though as far as the vibe. Nor is Rumson diverse.

The Jersey City commute will be a bit tricker and longer from Rumson, though. Gotta take the train to Newark and then the PATH.
You can actually take either the Seastreak or Belford to Jersey City as well.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 PM

Not quite sure how to work these posts to include past messages, but to add a few items based on responses:

Yes - we would take the ferry to WFC and drive to downtown JC (more flexibility for hours and to work at home in that job, so not worried about traffic). We do like the beach, which is why we like that area, however we do also like to ski, which is why Bergen County is also appealing. I do feel that Bergen might have more diversity - or at least that is what the data looks like when I compare the two - but really by points.

We find all 4 towns so nice and are really having quite a time deciding. Traffic in Bergen County is a con - but I am sure the same goes for Monmouth during the summer. The Blue Laws in Bergen is also a con.

Is there a "best" location fo the 4 towns as far as kids are concerned?

Old 05-25-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njorbust View Post
Not quite sure how to work these posts to include past messages, but to add a few items based on responses:

Yes - we would take the ferry to WFC and drive to downtown JC (more flexibility for hours and to work at home in that job, so not worried about traffic). We do like the beach, which is why we like that area, however we do also like to ski, which is why Bergen County is also appealing. I do feel that Bergen might have more diversity - or at least that is what the data looks like when I compare the two - but really by points.

We find all 4 towns so nice and are really having quite a time deciding. Traffic in Bergen County is a con - but I am sure the same goes for Monmouth during the summer. The Blue Laws in Bergen is also a con.

Is there a "best" location fo the 4 towns as far as kids are concerned?
re traffic- local roads arent too bad in the summer down here...35/GSP yes- but driving around town isn't too bad..
If you want diversity you could do LS which would feed into RBR HS which brings in diversity at least in HS..lol that's about as diverse as you gte down here with good schools.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:36 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,501,854 times
Took Seastreak for 7 years, it does not go to Jersey City, it goes to Pier 11, Wall Street and 31st Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
You can actually take either the Seastreak or Belford to Jersey City as well.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:54 AM

Thank you. I think the ferry works for WFC and driving will work for DTJC.

Lots of people on here from Monmouth County. Nothing for Bergen? For Bergen I think the option is driving to DTJC and train to Hoboken, then ferry to WFC. Somehow the ferry from Monmouth seems more pleasant...

Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 AM

304 posts, read 364,165 times
I wouldn't go with Monmouth if I were you. The beach is an unbelievable amenity to have there, and the towns you mentioned aren't bad, but still. You're coming from the West Village and it sounds like your looking for a similar experience. Good public transit, walkability, diversity, train to NYC? Come on. Southern Bergen County has all of that. Monmouth does not in comparison. Plus, if you did choose Monmouth the beach may be close, but the SHORE (the resort beach towns that make up the area most desireable to visit) is still a decent drive away. Just my two pennies.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
I wouldn't go with Monmouth if I were you. The beach is an unbelievable amenity to have there, and the towns you mentioned aren't bad, but still. You're coming from the West Village and it sounds like your looking for a similar experience. Good public transit, walkability, diversity, train to NYC? Come on. Southern Bergen County has all of that. Monmouth does not in comparison. Plus, if you did choose Monmouth the beach may be close, but the SHORE (the resort beach towns that make up the area most desireable to visit) is still a decent drive away. Just my two pennies.
The beach clubs at Sea Bright and Monmouth beach about 5 min from Rumson are where most people in the towns spend their summers- great restaurants, lots of family activities, and included parking...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey