Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM

47 posts, read 98,781 times

Advertisements

also i thought i read after eb there is a level of extention called eb high. am i correct on that. thats y i thought once nj got above the 9 percent mark the new legislation would kick eb high in. any info would be appreciated. thank you

Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM

106 posts, read 278,417 times
Maybe this will clear things up: Intial Tier 1, Tier 2 and EB extensions are set to expire Dec 31, 2009. As of right now, if you start collecting anyone of those extensions before Dec 31, 2009 you will get all of the weeks allow in that extension.

HR 3404 and S 1647 have propsals written into them to extend the above benefits thru Dec 31, 2010. However, those bills have not been passed yet. Hr 3548 was just introduced and that bill will grant an additional 13 weeks of benefits(in states over 8.5%) and allow congress to decide on factors in the other two bills without holding up the extensions.

As far as Eb and high EB NJ already received both. EB was the intial 13 weeks then we got an additional 7 weeks (highEB) for a total of 20 weeks.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:24 PM

so basically as of right now, im in big trouble then? There is no other level of extention for me or any one else who ran out of eb checks?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM

87 posts, read 180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad99 View Post
so basically as of right now, im in big trouble then? There is no other level of extention for me or any one else who ran out of eb checks?
correct

Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
also i thought i read after eb there is a level of extention called eb high. am i correct on that. thats y i thought once nj got above the 9 percent mark the new legislation would kick eb high in. any info would be appreciated. thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchick1169 View Post
Maybe this will clear things up: Intial Tier 1, Tier 2 and EB extensions are set to expire Dec 31, 2009. As of right now, if you start collecting anyone of those extensions before Dec 31, 2009 you will get all of the weeks allow in that extension.

HR 3404 and S 1647 have propsals written into them to extend the above benefits thru Dec 31, 2010. However, those bills have not been passed yet. Hr 3548 was just introduced and that bill will grant an additional 13 weeks of benefits(in states over 8.5%) and allow congress to decide on factors in the other two bills without holding up the extensions.

As far as Eb and high EB NJ already received both. EB was the intial 13 weeks then we got an additional 7 weeks (highEB) for a total of 20 weeks.
I see that in response to your questions, dchick1169 has -- for the most part -- just repeated what I have previously written.

Perhaps this will further clarify -- there are currently 4 levels of unemployment benefits in New Jersey:
(1) Initial unemployment benefits (UB - 26 weeks)
(2) Emergency unemployment benefits Tier I (EUC Tier I - 20 weeks)
(3) Emergency unemployment benefits Tier II (EUC Tier II - 13 weeks)
(4) Extended benefits (EB - 20 weeks)

If you have qualified for -- and collected -- all four levels of Unemployment benefits described here, there are no more benefits available at this time.

If another level of unemployment benefits is made available in New Jersey, the state will contact you.

As dchick1169 correctly stated, "high EB" is actually included in the 20 weeks of EB as described by the NJ Department of Labor on their unemployment website.

However, dchick1168's statement that HR 3548 "allows congress to decide on factors in the other two bills without holding up the extensions" complicates the situation more than necessary.

HR 3548 proposes an entirely new and separate extension -- one more extension, a fifth level to be added to the list of four above.

HR 3548 does not address the December 31, 2009, expirations of Tier I, Tier II, or EB. So the possible delay in the year-end expiration of the three levels of extensions is, in fact, "held up" until Congress chooses to address them -- perhaps by revisiting HR 3404 or S 1648, perhaps in a different bill, perhaps they will choose not to address the matter at all.

In any event, delaying the expiration dates of the current three levels of extended benefits would have no effect on your situation, since you say you have received your last EB payment.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM

even with these new bills etc. me and everybody that ran out or will run out of eb checks soon are in trouble. i understood that i wasnt getting a check this week but i thought if one or any of these bills kicked in it would also help people like me who just ran out or who will out of eb soon. guess not. is that something new?cause reading these post in the past, and i do consider myself smart enough to understand, i thought anyoneexhausting there eb or about to exhaust there eb would get an extention in high unemplyment states of over 9 percent including nj for 13 weeks to get threw the holidays. i assumed the gov was just waiting until oce kicked in so the extra 13 weeks would extend up threw the first week of jan please clarify ty

Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchick1169 View Post

thank you for your input you still did confuse me but diorgirl gave me the response i was looking and hopeing for ty

Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
i understood that i wasnt getting a check this week but i thought if one or any of these bills kicked in it would also help people like me who just ran out or who will out of eb soon. guess not. is that something new?cause reading these post in the past, and i do consider myself smart enough to understand, i thought anyoneexhausting there eb or about to exhaust there eb would get an extention in high unemplyment states of over 9 percent including nj for 13 weeks to get threw the holidays. i assumed the gov was just waiting until oce kicked in so the extra 13 weeks would extend up threw the first week of jan please clarify ty
All the elements you read were parts of the bills that were proposed for discussion.

The process to enact these bills -- even those which are extensions to or amendments of existing legislation -- is lengthy.

A bill is proposed in the House or in the Senate. It goes to committee in that section of Congress, it is discussed, it is usually modified, and then it is sent to the other section for discussion and modification there (e.g., a bill that is drafted in the House must be passed by both the House and the Senate, and vice versa). After the agreed upon bill is passed by the House and the Senate, then the President must review it and sign it into law.

No legislation addressing further extensions of Unemployment benefits was even introduced until the last day in July -- just before Congress went on its summer recess. So no action could be taken on the matter until the Congress came back into session on September 8.

If you look at the calendars for the House and the Senate, you'll see only one meeting is scheduled on Unemployment so far -- a meeting tomorrow of the Senate Finance Committee to "review" the unemployment situation.

Basically, this will be to take a look at the numbers -- whether or not the extensions already enacted have helped, how future extensions could be funded, eligibility, etc. They will not be addressing specific proposed legislation at this stage.

Even if the Congress decides to proceed with another extension and accelerates its drafting, review, and passage -- then the individual states will have to decide how to administer the extension to their jobless (i.e., specific eligibility, start date, etc.).

So, what are the best guesses of people knowledgeable about this process? If Congress does agree to provide another extension of benefits, the necessary legislation could be passed in October or in November -- in time to get more benefits into people's hands before the holidays.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM

thank you diorgirl i think i get it now lol my hope in my situation and people like me are that h4 3548 gets passed asap and the othere two bills get passed to extend the stimulus another yr so people can get there other levels of extentions like i have. ive read that hr 3548 will be streamlined does that mean it will get put threw quicker? thanks for your help and input im hopeing things get kicked in sooner then later meaning early oct compared to nov etc

Old 09-14-2009, 07:51 PM

348 posts, read 469,707 times
Hello Everyone, I'm a little confused, I have just received my last EB (20 weeks) check 2 weeks ago. As of now there is no extensions. However in my case, I am hoping for H.R. 3548 to be passed correct? Basically this will give me another 13 weeks in the next few weeks. If I am wrong please define the specifics. I understand that H.R. 3404 and S 1647, are on the backburner right now. Someone please just clairify, if H.R 3548 is passed hypothethically next week, I would be able to receive theses benefits. Basically this would be a fifth extension correct?, nothing to dowith the other bills or 2010, just another 13 week extension? Thank You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey