Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 PM

516 posts, read 1,349,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08879 View Post
Thanks Diorgirl; you've been very helpful (as you know) to everyone on this blog.
I'm scared, just as everyone is, of what's going to happen when these extensions run out. I love how the people who work in the various unemployment agencies act like there are jobs of every skill level just sitting out there waiting for us!!
I did notice, and that's why I had asked before, that someone with the user name of WendyEF had said that she's been collecting for 2 years.. Wendy, if you read this, and that is true, how have you been able to do so? I'm not planning on being on UE for 2 years; just looking for a safeguard, if it comes down to that.
Hi 08879, I've been unemployed for 2 years, not collecting for 2 years. The tier 1 came out months after my inital claim was exhausted, so there was a big gap before I started receiving the extensions. Trust me, I didn't think in a million years it would be next to impossible to find a job, let alone an interview. Something's got to give soon.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM

39 posts, read 110,861 times
[SIZE=4]Jobless claims in surprise rise[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Initial filings jump unexpectedly to 576,000 in latest week, a continuing sign of labor market weakness. Continuing claims also increase.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]By [/SIZE][SIZE=4]Julianne Pepitone[/SIZE][SIZE=4], CNNMoney.com staff writer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Last Updated: August 20, 2009: 10:01 AM ET[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Initial jobless claims jump unexpectedly to 576,000 - Aug. 20, 2009[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 30,241 times
WendyEF - thanks for getting back to me.. I see now what you were saying. I thought that you continuously collected.
We'll find out soon if we all receive that next extension. I'm only on tier 1 now and I'm panicking. As of right now, we've got 72 weeks, correct?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
As of right now, we've got 72 weeks, correct?
Actually, for those who qualify in New Jersey there are currently 4 levels of unemployment benefits totaling 79 weeks:
(1) Initial unemployment benefits (UB - 26 weeks)
(2) Emergency unemployment benefits Tier I (EUC Tier I - 20 weeks)
(3) Emergency unemployment benefits Tier II (EUC Tier II - 13 weeks)
(4) Extended benefits (EB - 20 weeks)

Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
WendyEF - thanks for getting back to me.. I see now what you were saying. I thought that you continuously collected.
We'll find out soon if we all receive that next extension. I'm only on tier 1 now and I'm panicking. As of right now, we've got 72 weeks, correct?
Hello again 08879, the total as of now is 79 weeks. Initial claim is 26 weeks, tier I 20 weeks, tier II 13 weeks and EB 20 weeks. We're all waiting to see what will happen if this new bill gets passed.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks again Diorgirl and WendyEF -
79 weeks sounds like a lot but when you're stressed, that flies by. I know you had both said (I think) that those who are eligible and qualify should receive 79 weeks. What specific criteria makes you eligible to qualify? I was laid off, not fired, from my job in November due to lack of work. When I went into the unemployment office in December I was told, if I can remember their correct terminology, 'I had a great point review' -- if this makes any sense, and like I said, I think I'm totally using the wrong terminology. Basically what it means it that I wasn't fired for misconduct or quit and they note that in their system with points or numbers. I assume that this 'great point review' qualifies me, correct?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Two more questions; do you have to reopen your claim at your one year mark? I've heard many people having to do that. How does that effect the lenght of your extensions? Thanks again!!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Two more questions; do you have to reopen your claim at your one year mark? I've heard many people having to do that. How does that effect the lenght of your extensions? Thanks again!!
I was also laid off due to the term lack of work. I've received the first two tiers and I'm now on EB. So, basically looks like you qualify for the extensions. As to the one year mark, when I had to claim my first tier, ( I was already way passed my one year point, I answered all of the questions, then put on hold, then a rep came on the phone and fixed the system and my claim went through just fine. But I have read some posts on here that people who have reached their one year mark said that the system told them not payable at this time your account is credited for the weeks claimed (not sure if that is word for word). So when your 1 year point comes up, call it in like you would usually do and see what the systems says. You might have to be on hold for a long time or go directly to the unemployment office and have a rep fix it right then and there. Then you sould be fine.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:43 PM

34 posts, read 85,875 times
I have been unemployed since November 2007. New Board came in and wanted their people, I was let go. There have been gaps between the different extensions. I have 1 more check left on EB, yikes. I was getting very nervous so yesterday I called the One Stop Center for a tuition waiver. The waiver I received is for 12 college credits and to qualify these credits can not be used for a degree. I stated I wanted to upgrade my skills in this time of economic hardship. I met with them today and received the waiver. So I happily go to the local Community College with my piece of paper. Well the folks at the CC do not like these pieces of paper. They said I have to wait until September 4th to register for classes and then I can only take classes that are still open. They really hate the letters that were sent out for the Federal Pell grants, these are really just useless pieces of paper because if you would not qualify for a Pell Grant before you still would not qualify now. The only good thing is a guarantee to still receive benefits until December 22nd under ABT. Keep your fingers crossed for me that there will be usefull classes still available for me to take, and yes College Algebra needs to be one of them.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 AM

63 posts, read 135,085 times
Question Pell Grants and one stop career centers

Hello everyone, this is my first post after many visits to the forum. Like many, my EB benefits are about expired, and I received the pell grant notice. I have sent resumes to every catagory I have seen listed with little or no results. I called my councilor about the grants, and was told that I would need to come down and ask the people at unemployment about them. I did that, and as told by them that this matter needs to be addressed through my councilor. So, one week, 5 phone calls, and 3 emails later, my councilor has not so much as picked up the phone to respond to me. What galls me is the fact that with so many poeple out of work, and needing help, how do these councilors get away with this crap, and why do THEY still have jobs!!!! I went through the same thing when I wanted to be retrained. Is there anyone I can complain to about this? If they are not willing to do their jobs, why are they still employed??? I would greatly appreciate a phone number, or email addy so that I can report this rediculous behavior. I am keeping my fingers crossed that McDermott's bill is passed soon, god knows we all need it. Thanks for listening, guess I realy needed to vent. BTW they also told me that at this point, no one knows if tier 3 will happen anytime soon. Good luck to everyone out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey