Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:28 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryv View Post
Hi WendyEF:
The extension I spoke of is the one after tier 2 runs out. They told me that not everyone is going to receive it because of certain restrictions.
The additional requirements for EB were thoroughly discussed on another thread here when EB was first enacted -- New: Stimulus Plan and Unemployment Extension (EB Program)

Briefly, all people who are approved to collect initial benefits, Tier I and Tier II extensions, do not automatically get EB. For example, if you were dismissed from your job for "misconduct" as determined by Unemployment, you are not eligible to collect EB, although you were eligible to collect the first three levels after an initial waiting period of several weeks (a penalty imposed for the "misconduct").

The other requirements for EB are specified at the NJ Unemployment website: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Insurance Extension Programs (http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/UIExtendedBenefitProgram.html - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencir View Post
it does not seem you read or you understood the bill, but there is a 13 week extension in HR3404, that will mean 13 more weeks for all those that have exhausted all benefits. And as soon as this bill passes, people , like yourself, will get another 13 weeks of benefits. Hopefully this bill will pass and become law in September .
As in the act that HR3404 is amending, the extensions -- if approved at the federal level -- are subject to the acceptance and administration of the states. Even now, not all the states who qualified for the last round of extensions have yet accepted them, citing funding problems for the delay.

New Jersey was among the states that added the additional eligibility criteria for EB -- those additional criteria are not the case in all states.

So, while it is true that the proposed bill is written as an extension of benefits, it does leave the final judgment up to the states about how and to whom the state administers those benefits, as well as what the effective dates of payment will be in the state (within the criteria mandated in the bill when it is enacted).

Last edited by diorgirl; 08-22-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 11:03 AM

63 posts, read 135,085 times
Default Frustrated

Hi diorgirl, what you said does make sence about the onslaught at unemployment. However, I went through the same problem with the same one stop center and the same councilor last year when I wanted to retrain. I'm not sure where I found this addi, but I sent an email to etapagemaster@dol.gov and told them the problems I had with the retraining program. Within a few days, my councilor was calling me, urging me to come down, see him, and finish the paperwork. Go figure??? I'm going to try it again. I'll keep you all posted. Thank you for your time. Back to the job hunt for now.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:25 PM

63 posts, read 135,085 times
Default bad link

Sorry to say the etapagemaster link was a bust. It must have been a link from the page I had been on at the time. I plan to keep on looking for another one.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:46 PM

39 posts, read 110,861 times
So lets see the HANDS of everyone that has contacted his or her Senator & Congressman. Not many hands folks, instead of venting on threads why not post what YOU are doing to assure that the Congress passes extension of benefits for 13 and/or 20 weeks. We all know the economy is running a distant 2nd to the fiasco with healthcare reform SO nothing is guaranteed, they must hear us NOW & through September. 1.5 Million exhausting benefits will make a BIG voice to the President and Congress!. Don't sit on your hands and just complain. "Change comes from the power of many,but when the many come together they form that which is Invincible-The Power of One"

Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 AM

34 posts, read 85,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryv View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post after many visits to the forum. Like many, my EB benefits are about expired, and I received the pell grant notice. I have sent resumes to every catagory I have seen listed with little or no results. I called my councilor about the grants, and was told that I would need to come down and ask the people at unemployment about them. I did that, and as told by them that this matter needs to be addressed through my councilor. So, one week, 5 phone calls, and 3 emails later, my councilor has not so much as picked up the phone to respond to me. What galls me is the fact that with so many poeple out of work, and needing help, how do these councilors get away with this crap, and why do THEY still have jobs!!!! I went through the same thing when I wanted to be retrained. Is there anyone I can complain to about this? If they are not willing to do their jobs, why are they still employed??? I would greatly appreciate a phone number, or email addy so that I can report this rediculous behavior. I am keeping my fingers crossed that McDermott's bill is passed soon, god knows we all need it. Thanks for listening, guess I realy needed to vent. BTW they also told me that at this point, no one knows if tier 3 will happen anytime soon. Good luck to everyone out there.
Not sure where your One Stop/Counselor is but I use the Phillipsburg, nj office. The folks there have been nothing but kind. I called the office on Thursday and had an appointment with someone on Friday of last week. (Do you really have an assigned counselor? I have always just walked in and been helped by the next available person.) Paperwork was processed immediately and I left with the TUITION WAIVER in hand. I was told because of the enonomy they ere a little more lilberal than usual. ABT was put into effect also, I will be able to collect until the end of the semister. The One Stop person I spoke with did not know anything about an extension but had wondered about how much longer the government would allow extensions. The One Stop person I had contact with does understand the situation, as it is affecting families throughout the community. AND there is an appeal process that should have been offered to you when you were denied. Good luck and never stop asking questions until you have the answer you want.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 AM

37 posts, read 120,671 times
Anyone not receive their 50 stim check this week? Mine usually comes the monday after my check goes in but nothing this week

Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 AM

516 posts, read 1,349,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriinjersey View Post
Anyone not receive their 50 stim check this week? Mine usually comes the monday after my check goes in but nothing this week
I didn't get mine either. What's up with that now?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 AM

Who knows now I swear its always something! well let's just hope they were late going out or something I'm glad I wasn't the only one if we didn't get ours I'm sure nobody did I depend on that 50 bucks!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 AM

516 posts, read 1,349,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriinjersey View Post
Who knows now I swear its always something! well let's just hope they were late going out or something I'm glad I wasn't the only one if we didn't get ours I'm sure nobody did I depend on that 50 bucks!
I also depend on that 50. Hopefully we will get it today.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 AM

Wendy does yours go direct deposit? Mine does and it usually goes in first thing monday morning I checked the bank this morning also and nothing unless it goes in after 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey