U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:51 AM

744 posts, read 838,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
If the traffic signal pole doesn't belong to me, who does it belong to?
Probably the city, possibly the state...

Certainly not you individually, you can't knock it down and take it home after all.

Putting a sign/poster up on your lawn or on your car or on your clothes is fine. Expecting to be able to do so on community or private property (other than your own) is just dumb.

Can I cover the city buses with my own signage for free? Paint city hall pink and green? Replace the ugly red traffic signal with a green bulb/filter?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,920,336 times
Is there a difference between a traffic light pole and a telephone pole for putting up posters? I saw plenty of Obama posters over them during election including stop signs. I don't think everyone should start a war on marking their territory with posters ontop of posters. At the same time, if someone feels so strongly about something, I rather them promote it to the public than keep it to themself. We pay 1,000s toward taxes so I think if someone wants to post things, they will do it, then some will tear it down, then it'll eventually stop. It's not hurting anyone, this is what a free country is suppose to look like.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,135,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
...Certainly not you individually, you can't knock it down and take it home after all....
when I got into an accident (many years ago) and knocked down a telephone pole, I was charged to replace the pole ($1500). I subsequently went back and nailed a small placard on the pole stating it was indeed mine. I paid for it. but I digress. This is why I say we should pay to have it put up on a Billboard.

I do have to say, I have many reservations about UHC and I like alot of what I have been hearing lately from Obama and others through the broadcasted town hall meetings. I think that if they can pull off what Obama says they are now trying (as of the Montana meeting anyway) I think it might actually work. The problem is that I dont think he/they can pull it off and whetever we do get is going to be a clusterf***. (regardless of the stupid USPS/UPS/FEDEX comment and its deeper issues)

Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM

964 posts, read 1,695,777 times
Default Disrespectful rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Is there a difference between a traffic light pole and a telephone pole for putting up posters? I saw plenty of Obama posters over them during election including stop signs. I don't think everyone should start a war on marking their territory with posters ontop of posters. At the same time, if someone feels so strongly about something, I rather them promote it to the public than keep it to themself. We pay 1,000s toward taxes so I think if someone wants to post things, they will do it, then some will tear it down, then it'll eventually stop. It's not hurting anyone, this is what a free country is suppose to look like.
Actually, it is hurting people - and in multiple ways.

1) It's aesthetically offensive, and that's as real to some people as a smack across the face is to others.

2) It's degrading to the Office of the Presidency... and whether it be pro or anti-Obama is not the issue. I'd be just as concerned if it portrayed Bush this way. It's gutter debasement of what should be the highest respected office in the land. You call it freedom? Citizens in a free country should rise above this.

3) It's costly! Again, it hurts taxpayers who need to hire government employees from public works departments to take this crap down. It hurts utility companies who have to send their employees to do likewise. It's a pain in the butt. Try removing a sticky from a stop sign. Most are made with strong adhesives, with the specific objective of being difficult to remove!

This trash is specifically designed by antagonist who are too chicken$hi+ to put it on their own property. They want to get in your face at taxpayers' expense. Does getting in people's face promote the general welfare?

These are some of the reasons why, as Bob points out, that it's illegal. Defacing public property is illegal, whether it be traffic poles, utility poles or stop signs.

This is not what a free country looks like. It may be what a free ghetto looks like, but not a free country. People in a free country respect public property, respect the Office of the Presidency, respect decent appearances, and respect their neighbors. This trash is all about disrespect.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,036,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Actually, it is hurting people - and in multiple ways.

1) It's aesthetically offensive, and that's as real to some people as a smack across the face is to others.

2) It's degrading to the Office of the Presidency... and whether it be pro or anti-Obama is not the issue. I'd be just as concerned if it portrayed Bush this way. It's gutter debasement of what should be the highest respected office in the land. You call it freedom? Citizens in a free country should rise above this.

3) It's costly! Again, it hurts taxpayers who need to hire government employees from public works departments to take this crap down. It hurts utility companies who have to send their employees to do likewise. It's a pain in the butt. Try removing a sticky from a stop sign. Most are made with strong adhesives, with the specific objective of being difficult to remove!

This trash is specifically designed by antagonist who are too chicken$hi+ to put it on their own property. They want to get in your face at taxpayers' expense. Does getting in people's face promote the general welfare?

These are some of the reasons why, as Bob points out, that it's illegal. Defacing public property is illegal, whether it be traffic poles, utility poles or stop signs.

This is not what a free country looks like. It may be what a free ghetto looks like, but not a free country. People in a free country respect public property, respect the Office of the Presidency, respect decent appearances, and respect their neighbors. This trash is all about disrespect.
What a great post. You certainly articulated this better than I did.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM

7,126 posts, read 3,920,587 times
Default graffiti

Too bad no one feels so outraged about gang graffiti decorating our roadways. Does not seem to be any motivation to prevent or remove it.

Posters nailed or stapled to tele poles interfere with the spikes linemen use to climb the poles.

Posters that need to be removed by government workers would be considered part of the stimulus plan.

Poles are utility company property.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM

744 posts, read 838,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I do have to say, I have many reservations about UHC and I like alot of what I have been hearing lately from Obama and others through the broadcasted town hall meetings. I think that if they can pull off what Obama says they are now trying (as of the Montana meeting anyway) I think it might actually work. The problem is that I dont think he/they can pull it off and whetever we do get is going to be a clusterf***. (regardless of the stupid USPS/UPS/FEDEX comment and its deeper issues)
It shouldn't be done, of course that has never stopped them before.

I really like the Australian health system (which may just be because that's the only other one I've experienced). I think the US health system would be much better if it copied that.

However, Australia isn't the US. And I can't see where in the US constitution the Federal Government is granted the power to do that in the first place.

There is a mechanism for amending the constitution, seems to me that needs to happen first. But again, the constitution hasn't stopped the Federal Government from doing whatever it wants in the past either...

But this has gone way off topic

Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 20,096,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholden View Post
Probably the city, possibly the state...

Certainly not you individually, you can't knock it down and take it home after all.

Putting a sign/poster up on your lawn or on your car or on your clothes is fine. Expecting to be able to do so on community or private property (other than your own) is just dumb.

Can I cover the city buses with my own signage for free? Paint city hall pink and green? Replace the ugly red traffic signal with a green bulb/filter?
Well, if you want to do that last one, I'll be lookout and then we can hang out and see what happens.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 AM

43 posts, read 66,370 times
Default Freedom of expression, Freedom of speech

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism." Thomas Jefferson

YouTube - obama Joker contest entry The Future by G n J feat Intrinzik

YouTube - Obama Joker Contest San Francisco Bay Area

YouTube - Obama Joker $1000 Video Contest - Hollywood, CA

YouTube - The Obama Joker $1000 Video Contest - Downtown Pittsburgh [Entry]

YouTube - Alex Jones Joker Flyer Contest: WALL ST. BOMBED!

YouTube - obama Joker poster contest 1 0f 2

YouTube - Obama Joker Poster Contest 2 OF 2 YOUTUBE SCREWED ME REMIX

YouTube - Obama-Joker Kingsport Tennessee Infowars.com

YouTube - Infowars Obama Joker Video Contest BERLIN

Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 AM

9,125 posts, read 22,959,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Too bad no one feels so outraged about gang graffiti decorating our roadways. Does not seem to be any motivation to prevent or remove it.
I always thought the best motivator would be to shot the bastards who tag the walls, and leave the bodies on display with the spray cans in hand- that'd deter others from doing the same. There was a new sound barrier put up along I-15 when I lived in Las Vegas, and it had a special anti-graffitti coating- you just hosed it down and the paint came off. Every morning I'd drive by and see graffiti, and in the afternoon I'd see a guy from the DOT hosing the wall off. The next night, it'd get tagged again, and the cycle would repeat- it was like a freakin' Etch-a-Sketch for the gangbangers.

Now, set a sniper up across the highway one night, take out a tagger or two, and leave the bodies in plain sight- I bet that'd be the last time that wall would be tagged, and $2 worth of bullets is alot cheaper than paying a DOT employee to wash the wall every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey