Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,619,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan
Not really. Why blame the teacher if kids don't want to learn or act like civil human beings in class? I think it says far more about the parent(s) than the teacher. Your behavior and performance in school is a testament to the values you learn (or fail to learn) at home.
That isn't always the case.

It isn't as black and white as: Student doesn't want to learn, therefore the student comes from a broken home.

It is usually deeper than that.

Enviroment.

Lack of resources.

Learning setting.

If a teacher has the attitude of "I'm just here for the check.", I ask you, what type of quality education will these students receive?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ
im not sure. she has been doing it for a long time and has it pretty good. im not defender of teachers but i dont think its their job to be mommies, teachers, etc. etc. etc. the kids there have parents that couldnt care less about their education so they dont do anything but act like animals and if the teacher gives them a hard time, the parent will come in and probably get gangsta on them. talking in bad english and throwing out motha f'ers like its nobody's business.
Growing up in Paterson, I've seen my share of good and bad teachers.

Though, I agree, that it isn't the teachers job to be the "parent", however, I also believe that teachers, especially in a city like Paterson, need to be mentors, and not view their job as just a typical 9-5.

Going above and beyond what is required for one, is what seperate the true quality teachers from the rest. If one plans on being a educator in a inner city, they better learn how to bat .320 for the season.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,734,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
That isn't always the case.

It isn't as black and white as: Student doesn't want to learn, therefore the student comes from a broken home.

It is usually deeper than that.

Enviroment.

Lack of resources.

Learning setting.

If a teacher has the attitude of "I'm just here for the check.", I ask you, what type of quality education will these students receive?

There are no lack of resources in Paterson. I have a freind who recently graduated college and is teaching in Paterson. She tells me how Paterson has everything nicer then what we have where we went to High School at.

Its the parents who dont do their job, which makes some teachers unable to do theirs.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,882,592 times
Quote:

Though, I agree, that it isn't the teachers job to be the "parent", however, I also believe that teachers, especially in a city like Paterson, need to be mentors, and not view their job as just a typical 9-5.

Going above and beyond what is required for one, is what seperate the true quality teachers from the rest. If one plans on being a educator in a inner city, they better learn how to bat .320 for the season.
I couldn't disagree more. We shouldn't expect our educators to be exceptional. We should, of course, expect them to work hard and to work as effectively as they can, but the students need to want to learn or the best teaching won't break through to them. The whole "bad or good" teacher thing is an idea that keeps those who are of lower socio-economic status down.

The winners in society realize that come what may, one must persevere and succeed in spite of any and all obstacles. The winners in society teach their children not to care about the personality of their teachers and to reduce everything to taking from any situation what it is that they want. In an educational situation, its the "A".

Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
gradstudent77I couldn't disagree more. We shouldn't expect our educators to be exceptional. We should, of course, expect them to work hard and to work as effectively as they can, but the students need to want to learn or the best teaching won't break through to them. The whole "bad or good" teacher thing is an idea that keeps those who are of lower socio-economic status down.
This isn't a perfect world. Every student should be expected to learn, however, in a inner city enviroment like Paterson, teachers will encounter students that come from extraordinary circumstances. I never stated this as a "good vs. bad" teacher argument, rather, I stated that if Paterson had more teachers that went beyond of what they're expected, it would greatly benifit every student.

Quote:
The winners in society realize that come what may, one must persevere and succeed in spite of any and all obstacles. The winners in society teach their children not to care about the personality of their teachers and to reduce everything to taking from any situation what it is that they want. In an educational situation, its the "A".

Yes, I agree to a point. Winners can and will over come any obstacles. Though, it who do we leave in chage to train out future leaders? My qualm is with teachers who are too lazy to even care about the future of these students. I never stated that a child has to like their teacher, but having a teacher, who doesn't care or isn't interested about the education of the students they are hired to teach, is a crime in itself.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan
There are no lack of resources in Paterson. I have a freind who recently graduated college and is teaching in Paterson. She tells me how Paterson has everything nicer then what we have where we went to High School at.

Its the parents who dont do their job, which makes some teachers unable to do theirs.
Please, GR, where did you attend High School at?

Unless your friend is teaching in one of the new charter schools or academies, I highly doubt the average school in Paterson has "everything nicer".

I do agree that some parents should even be called that word, but some schools, shouldn't be called a "school" either.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,537,521 times
Quote:

we waste too much time trying to glorify teaching and talking about going above and beyond. its just a job. the job is to teach the lessons according to the text book. i dont want teachers being responsible to be parents, mentors, babysitters, etc. i want them to do their simple job and if the kids dont learn, then blame the actual parents of the children and the kids.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,910,735 times
Quote:
I would assume that decades of dealing with uncaring families and disruptive, just-plain-bad students would drive you to develop that sort of attitude.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,617,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we waste too much time trying to glorify teaching and talking about going above and beyond. its just a job. the job is to teach the lessons according to the text book. i dont want teachers being responsible to be parents, mentors, babysitters, etc. i want them to do their simple job and if the kids dont learn, then blame the actual parents of the children and the kids.
I think 'going above and beyond' is something that is reasonably subjective, but I don't think that teachers should look at it as 'just a job' (at least not most of the time). You have to care about kids when dealing with them. I feel that kids will see right through someone who doesn't care and, especially in an urban environment, it will cause problems. I'm not talking about touchy-feely heart on the sleeve caring, but building relationships that model trust, respect, honesty and compassion, which I feel are crucial during their development. Those things alone dictate that you have to treat teaching as more than a job (you are more than a deliverer of information).

I wouldn't want to be a teacher who doesn't care about the kids and who isn't willing to do more than what my contractual obligations dictate, I think it would be sad.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,617,268 times
Quote:

I agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey