Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times

Advertisements

Paterson is a festering trash heap and everyone in this area of New Jersey knows it. Now, I've been to parks and restaurants during the day and early evening and simply exercised a level of caution, but no one can feel at all safe walking (or even driving) in Paterson at night.

Not that grandma and grandpa should be doing their grocery shopping at 10:00PM, but there needs to be SOME law in place to protect law-abiding citizens who are forced to go out or run a specific errand at night.

As opposed to the bleeding heart liberals willing to shed tears over the rights of the gang-banging scum in Paterson, I see this law as an attempt to protect those who do happen to be out at night, who just happen to be innocent. This law will not restrict a person from leaving a Paterson bar late at night. It will protect them.

And Captain NJ raises an important point: Curfew laws have been enacted in many NJ towns for minors. What is the problem here? This is not even a curfew law for normal activities, but an attempt to prevent calamity.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Easier said than done when your grandomther is lying in a coma in St. Joseph's which is SUPPOSED to be an excellent trauma center... though I have my own opinions on that too.

Amazing that people in this country values the *rights* of thoughtless, violent criminals over honest, law abiding citizens who can't even walk from a parking garage to a hospital at a DECENT hour without being harrassed by scum... I can only imagine what that dump of a town is like late at night. Thank GOD I don't have to live in filth like Paterson....
So, where do you live?

As it appears to me, not "all" places in Paterson are filth.
Some places are very nice with median house prices averaging over 600k.
Now to generalize paterson as full of violent criminals is thoughtless.

Additionally if you walk through Paterson, or anywhere... you will find that
no scum will harass you. You should not be afraid of social interaction.
If you keep it moving, it will be fine.

Now criminals come in all places and socioeconomic background.
They may have just have been on the "down-low" out there.

I believe your type of country is not the U.S.A. It may be Singapore.
In Singapore, spitting on the street carries a prison term and simple possession
of drugs carries a life sentence if convicted. You are not allowed to wear your
hat backwards or tilted sideways. That carries a fine.

However, the country is impeccably clean, the lowest capitalist country crime
rate in the world. The only problem is the curfew, the despostic police, and
lack of rights and freedoms. Now that's not a type of country our forefathers envisioned
when writing the "consitution".

Very truly yours
Alex

Old 08-19-2009, 10:41 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"

--Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 AM

744 posts, read 1,405,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why is it ok to do this to kids and not adults?
It isn't ok to do it to kids. As always though that never stops anyone.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 AM

636 posts, read 1,423,443 times
This sounds like a Minority Report "pre-crime". Arrest people if they commit a crime, not BEFORE. That's just asinine. This country became what it was due to freedom.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM

744 posts, read 1,405,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
As opposed to the bleeding heart liberals willing to shed tears over the rights of the gang-banging scum in Paterson, I see this law as an attempt to protect those who do happen to be out at night, who just happen to be innocent. This law will not restrict a person from leaving a Paterson bar late at night. It will protect them.
Liberals should be fine with this. Just like outlawing firearms and having the government run the medical system it's more big brother unconstitutional freedom destroying crap.

Of course given that conservatives voted for the Bush Constitution Shredding Machine they'll love it to.

Hopefully the last free person in America remembers to turn out the lights.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 AM

861 posts, read 2,717,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex5250 View Post
So, where do you live?
In the process of moving from Parsippany to East Brunswick

Quote:
Additionally if you walk through Paterson, or anywhere... you will find that
no scum will harass you. You should not be afraid of social interaction.
Guess we have different definitions of appropriate social interactions... "Hello, How are you, Great weather we are having....." I would be more than fine with such exchanges. But instead what I hear when walking down Main Street in Paterson is dirty men, smacking their lips, asking me to "makey babies" and calling me "amorsota" (I may be spelling that wrong, I assume it is a Spanish word, and I apologize in advance if it is highly derragatory as I have no clue what it means.) and gesturing for me to get into their cars....

Quote:
Now criminals come in all places and socioeconomic background. They may have just have been on the "down-low" out there.
Surely you are correct. I think crime should be addressed, and solutions explored, in any and every area in which its a problem. If drive by shootings were on the rise in Madison, and this curfew were proposed, I would still support it. The geopraphy has nothing to do with it. Its all about problems and solutions.

Quote:
I believe your type of country is not the U.S.A. It may be Singapore.
In Singapore, spitting on the street carries a prison term and simple possession of drugs carries a life sentence if convicted. You are not allowed to wear your hat backwards or tilted sideways. That carries a fine.
Oh please. That is NOT my type of country. Again, you are taking this and running way too far. Paterson has a problem. A solution was proposed. Its that simple. Its not about a whole political agenda.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
Quote:

Isn't that the point of the curfew?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,624 times
Like I said before: Personally, I don't think this is a half-bad idea. But it's completely unconstitutional. I'm no liberal, I don't support the rights of gang members, but the law is the law and we can't throw out the constitution of the United States to control a bunch of animals in Paterson who, quite frankly, I don't care about because I neither live there nor ever will go there.

I feel sorry for the law-abiding people who DO live there, but honestly, if the community would step up and assist law enforcement and restore family values and the concepts on which children should be raised to become upstanding citizens, these problems would go away over time. 'Til then, lean that driver's seat wayyy back when you drive at night.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Having lived in Paterson for 7 years and now during the summer months (when I come back from college), I agree with this curfew! Trust me, most people have no business being out on most Paterson streets at 2:00 am. This isn't NYC, where nice restaurants and clubs are frequented at all hours of the night. Only shady characters hang out at those hours in Paterson. As for the smokers, let them crack a window open.
I'm sure all those people from the surrounding area that come to Paterson to get their "fix" (whatever it may be) won't be too pleased if this curfew gets passed.

P.S. Don't call all Paterson residents thugs and ghetto trash, b/c we all aren't. I grew up in one of the middle-class enclaves of the city with a loving family that taught me morals and values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey