Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM

8 posts, read 41,239 times

Advertisements

Updated list (sorted):
Montvale $0
Lyndhurst $0
Plauderville / Garfield $0
Westwood $1
Woodcliff Lake $5
Ramsey $15
Allendale $45
Park Ridge $100
Glen Rock $145
Ho-ho-kus $175
Chatham $350
Hillsdale $360
Millburn / Short Hills $360
Madison $400
Montclair $600
Rutherford $600
Morristown $900
Summit $948
Ridgewood : $1400 (based on 50c hour for 12 hours, requires residential permit)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
RUTHERFORD CHARGES $600 PER YEAR FOR A TRAIN PARKING PERMIT?!? HOLY CARP!

Fair Lawn charges $54 per year for residents and $188 per year for non-residents. The town doesn't limit how many permits are for sale, simply telling people that permits do not guarantee a spot and spots are available on a "first come first serve" basis.

Here's an interesting article from a couple of years ago about the parking crunch in Bergen County. The article states that Fair Lawn sold 1258 permits were sold for 325 spots. Wow.

The article also mentions a Broadway train station in Fair Lawn which apparently isn't used much (unlike the insane asylum Radburn station). For the life of me, I can't recall where this is. Anybody know?

Shortage of spots makes it tough to use mass transit

Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 PM

In my research I read of one town actually selling spots to another for a $1000 each and they were still going like hotcakes. Supply and demand - sucks. Thanks for your post.

Broadway station info: New Jersey Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
RUTHERFORD CHARGES $600 PER YEAR FOR A TRAIN PARKING PERMIT?!? HOLY CARP!

Fair Lawn charges $54 per year for residents and $188 per year for non-residents. The town doesn't limit how many permits are for sale, simply telling people that permits do not guarantee a spot and spots are available on a "first come first serve" basis.

Here's an interesting article from a couple of years ago about the parking crunch in Bergen County. The article states that Fair Lawn sold 1258 permits were sold for 325 spots. Wow.

The article also mentions a Broadway train station in Fair Lawn which apparently isn't used much (unlike the insane asylum Radburn station). For the life of me, I can't recall where this is. Anybody know?

Shortage of spots makes it tough to use mass transit

Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Default Graph

I've created a chart which shows the cost of annual commuter parking in various towns along with no. of available spots:

forgive the formatting - all done in google spreadsheet

Old 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
I swear I remember seeing a sign in Woodcliff Lake that said that those few spots were 15,000 a year with a three year minimum contract, payable at the beginning.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:26 PM

6 posts, read 31,232 times
Default Wyckoff to downtown NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornershots View Post
I've created a chart which shows the cost of annual commuter parking in various towns along with no. of available spots:

forgive the formatting - all done in google spreadsheet
I am in the process of accepting a job that i have to commute to downtown manhattan from wyckoff NJ. Is there an updated chart like this? Which towns have the most spots? I have been deciding between radburn and hawthorne. Any additional info would be great.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
nj transit needs to build more parking lots...i cant believe this

Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Actually future stations will have less or no parking , most towns don't want huge parkings lots... So NJT isn't building huge lots at new stations anymore , they are building huge Highway Park & Ride stations but there finding barely anyone uses them.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
The parking lots are managed by the towns in which they are located, not NJ Transit. However, I don't know who actually owns the properties, the towns or the railroad. Maybe Nexis does?

I think more important than more parking lots are better feeder buses to the train station. For example, in Midland Park, you can catch the 164 bus, which eventually goes to the city but stops at Ridgewood and Glen Rock train stations, and ride it to the train for free if you hold a NJT monthly rail pass. That sort of transportation should be made more available in other towns, if it isn't already.

I'd rather see alternatives to getting people to the trains than to see them pave over even MORE of our world.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
Quote:
NJ Transit cant accommodate increased ridership on their existing lines as is. You wont be seeing any lots built by them which would bring even more riders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey