Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM

40 posts, read 53,420 times

Advertisements

Under what conditions does the train have to blow it's horn?

Considering purchasing near a train station. If there is no road crossing, does it still blow its horn when stopping at the station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:43 PM

175 posts, read 223,345 times
Definitely at grade crossings. Since a lot of stations are near grade crossings, it's not unreasonable to assume there will be train horns near most stations.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:18 PM

389 posts, read 664,234 times
in my town, there are no grade crossings near the station, but they still sound the horn on approach to the station itself

Old 04-05-2017, 05:19 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,300 times
Just make sure you are comfortable with the noise. We were looking at a house near the train. We actually went to the house in the morning to hear how loud it was. We ended up not pulling the trigger. Houses near the train will always be at a disadvantage when selling as there will always be people that simply wont do it. In our case the house was right next to the tracks. Nice house but we passed on it and the house sat on the market for a while. Look at the history of the property and see if it had trouble selling previously.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 PM

237 posts, read 482,504 times
I live in Middlesex County and you hear train horns constantly, no matter where you are or how seemingly far you are from a train station. So yes, you'll hear a lot of train horns.

That said, I've lived in apartments literally directly next to railroad tracks and I was fine with it...you tend to get used to the noise.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Admittedly, my judgement is a bit biased, since I'm a railroad buff; but for most of the past eight years, I've lived in two buildings within fifty yards of a railroad main line that sees about thirty trains daily. It's been my experience that one isn't disturbed much by any noise they're used to, and I usually sleep well.

There's a true story of a railroad telegrapher in Michigan from about 110 years ago who fell asleep at his post, but was awakened by the telegraph sounder calling his location. He then copied a written order (these were always transmitted in a very precise syntax) instructing a train he believed was still approaching to take siding for an opposing train. Unfortunately, that train had already passed and the "op" (now you know where my "handle" comes from) had slept through it, leading to a fatal head-on collision, but awoke to his own "station call" in Morse code no more than a few minutes later.

There was another tale in the same article about an "op" who, if he got drowsy, would string a wire across the tracks from his bay-window post, with an old coffee pot at the end of the wire. What a racket that must have made!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:16 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
I live near tracks, I can hear train but you kind of stop noticing it, kinda like how you can go nose blind to something.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare727 View Post
I live in Middlesex County and you hear train horns constantly, no matter where you are or how seemingly far you are from a train station. So yes, you'll hear a lot of train horns.

That said, I've lived in apartments literally directly next to railroad tracks and I was fine with it...you tend to get used to the noise.
Exactly. I rented a house with train tracks behind it.one train came through once a day. My ex complained about what a bad choice I had made blah blah blah....first time the train came through, he slept right through it. You do get used to it.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 AM

280 posts, read 339,197 times
Take a look at the position of the train relative to your house too. I have NJ Transit going behind my house, but it's down low so we can't even see it and barely hear it if we're outside. I did hear the horn the first night then I got used to it, and now when we do hear it we think it's charming. It's a big advantage to live within walking distance to a train to NYC, people worldwide dream of that opportunity, so unless it's really blaring I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:49 AM

857 posts, read 834,647 times
I'm a conductor for NJT. I have to agree with most of the post stating that they just get used to it. We blow the horn mostly for fun. Especially late nights and receive very few complaints. I think most folks enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey