U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 49,139 times
Default Build On Your Lot Builders In New Jersey

Hi,

Does anyone know of any builders in NJ that will build a single-family home for on your property? Would it be more or less expensive than the prices of the home that are being built in a new development.

Central NJ please.

Thanks,

Ryancurious
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM

291 posts, read 764,752 times
I'm interested to see the responses to this one also!

Old 04-27-2007, 02:08 PM

13,838 posts, read 21,172,860 times
Depending on what you build, it is generally more expensive to custom build on your own lot. Builders can usually get better prices on lots particularly if they buy a number of them. Also, they have the economy of scale and they can generally get better prices from their subcontractors. Of course you can then tailor your home to your needs and cut corners to save money. It can be a difficult and long process. Sorry but I do not know builders in your area. Jay

Old 04-27-2007, 02:52 PM

9,125 posts, read 22,341,024 times
As Jay said, you're usually going to pay a premium to have a house built on your lot, because the spot-lot builders don't pay the low prices that the Hovnanians and Karas do. Of course, you'll likely get a better quality product than the crap most production builders build, and you'll have more control over the process.

Overall, if you were to build the exact same house on your lot that a tract builder builds in a subdivision, I'd be willing to bet that your total cost (lot, construction, permits, financing, etc) would be 10-20% higher than if you just bought a house. This presumes that you bought the lot at retail- you didn't get it given to you, or buy it 30 years ago.

Bob

Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 49,627 times
i want to revive this thread. im thinking of buying a lot
and building the house from scratch. of course if i knew the
process i wouldnt ask however id like to learn. is there any
builders here? a positive feedback is appreciated

Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,074,353 times
I wish a builder would chime in and say $100/sqft on average. Or something of that nature.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 49,627 times
if youre building your own home, do you have to have
a general contractor, would i be able to hire contractors
for work and provide the info to the city?

what is a must?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,955,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzenian View Post
if you're building your own home, do you have to have a general contractor, would i be able to hire contractors for work and provide the info to the city?

what is a must?
if you own the lot, you can be your own GC.

I did exactly what you're inquiring about... I seriously considered being the GC, but decided that my time & sanity was worth more to me.

if you find a builder who's really flexible, they might work with your plumber or cabinet maker, for example...

I'm really happy with the builder I used... I can tell you more via direct message, as I don't want to be accused of giving said builder free advertising on this thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 11,253 times
Default Request foor Builders Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
if you own the lot, you can be your own GC.

I did exactly what you're inquiring about... I seriously considered being the GC, but decided that my time & sanity was worth more to me.

if you find a builder who's really flexible, they might work with your plumber or cabinet maker, for example...

I'm really happy with the builder I used... I can tell you more via direct message, as I don't want to be accused of giving said builder free advertising on this thread

Could you provide me with the name of the builder you used. Also what was the approximate SF price and did it all costs ie. house, septic, well excavation? The house I am planning on building will be in Howell. Thanks

Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 9,542 times
Hi Jerzenian! Any luck on this post? I'm considering building a an two family home addition to my parents single family home. I contacted a one stop contractor that will do all the leg work with the permits and contruction. He estimated about 200k. How's it going on your end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey