Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 15,445 times

Advertisements

Why people insist on driving in the center and left lanes?
I have tried to find the reason that so many people refuse to drive in the right lane, as NJ law states (along with PA Law, CT Law, and NY Law)

We could solve all of NJ financial problems very easily, if you are driving in the left or center lane and there is no vehicle to the right of you police should issue a $100.00 fine per 39:4-215 of the NJ Motor Vehicle Code, the state would be rolling in money!

The average time to pass a vehicle is 10 seconds, so this does not mean that you can drive in the center or left lane because you might pass a vehicle within the next 30 minutes!

Or that you will be making a left turn at some point during your trip!

39:4-82. Keeping to right
Upon all highways of sufficient width, except upon one-way streets, the driver of a vehicle shall drive it on the right half of the roadway. He shall drive a vehicle as closely as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway, unless it is impracticable to travel on that side of the roadway, and except when overtaking and passing another vehicle subject to the provisions of sections 39:4-84 and 39:4-85 of this Title.

39:4-88. Traffic on marked lanes
When a roadway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic, drivers of vehicles shall obey the following regulations:

a. A vehicle shall normally be driven in the lane nearest the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway when that lane is available for travel, except when overtaking another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn.

c. Upon a highway which is divided into 3 lanes, a vehicle shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking or passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or unless the center lane is at the time allocated for traffic moving in the direction the vehicle is proceeding and is signposted to give notice of that allocation.

39:4-215. Failure to obey signals, signs or directions
Any person who fails to obey the directions of a police officer or fails to obey the directional signals or signs provided hereunder shall be subject to a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100.00) or imprisonment for ten days in jail, or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,044 times
Your first post is this?

We are all dumber for reading this. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 PM

531 posts, read 2,899,011 times
The perception is that the right lane is for slow drivers. Very few people like to be considered slow drivers. Also, on a road like NJ Turnpike, you have multiple on ramps with merging traffic. Pain in the butt to sit in the right lane and have to continuously get out of the right lane.

We're all in a hurry. Honestly though, this is by far not the worst problem when it comes to NJ driving. Doesn't even crack the top ten. Never understand why people get so worked up about this.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
I agree with the above two posters. If negative reps were still around I'm sure you'd be -3 right now lol

Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Yikes, I guess maybe that's why it so relevant, because many think it is not.
Just keep right, yes YOU too.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
The perception is that the right lane is for slow drivers. Very few people like to be considered slow drivers. Also, on a road like NJ Turnpike, you have multiple on ramps with merging traffic. Pain in the butt to sit in the right lane and have to continuously get out of the right lane.

We're all in a hurry. Honestly though, this is by far not the worst problem when it comes to NJ driving. Doesn't even crack the top ten. Never understand why people get so worked up about this.
I disagree, people who chill in the left lane create angry drivers who take unreasonable risks to pass the slow drivers. Should they? No, but it contributes to dangerous roads.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Your first post is this?

We are all dumber for reading this. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
you are amazing for saying that. thank you.

great movie, btw

Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
The perception is that the right lane is for slow drivers. Very few people like to be considered slow drivers.
there are so many idiots that get right out of the right lane because they like to think of themselves as not slow drivers. then they go over a lane and they are slow there. i also love the people going slow and then i change lanes in front of them and i know they are going to try to get right on my butt to prove they were going faster than me.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
I am in th eleft lane whenever I am actively passing other cars. Being that i tend to drive 15-20mph faster than the speed limit, I am always passing cars. If you want to drive 30mph over the speed limit and are pissed at ME being the left lane, ** you, go around me.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Even though I find the OP trollish I will say that I HATE the fact that people drive in the middle or left lane when not passing. Biggest adustment I had to make driving here from the UK. Nobody passes on the inside in the UK - it's just not done and if you do it and get caught...big fine and points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey