Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move from NYC to to NJ to get some more space, raise a family, etc. My wife's major preference is somewhere that is walking distance to a decent Main St./ Downtown area. Then we have the other normal parameters such as price (400-500 ish), NYC commute, taxes, etc.

I will list some places we are considering in the hopes that someone may have an additional suggestion or two of similar places that we are not currently looking into.

Red Bank - Love it but seems like a tough commute.
Summit, Millburn, Westfield - Really nice but prices are pretty much out of our range.
Madison- Nice Main St area, but seems like a ghost town. Plus pricey, high taxes...
South Orange- great commute but seems to be surrounded by REALLY bad areas.
Montclair - lot of traffic, high taxes (?)
Morristown?

I know this is vague, but if anyone had any recommendations that might be similar to the towns above, it would be GREATLY appreciated. (Any color on the towns listed would also be appreciated). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
You may also want to check out Denville, NJ. They have an adorable Main Street... the streets play music and everything.
Has a train station as well.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
I have never seen Madison as a "ghost town." What time were you there at...middle of the night? I can never find parking when I go in the day.

Not a cheap town either but consider Ridgewood.

If you are going to be starting a family consider school districts now...you don't want to have to move again in 5 or so years. That (in my mind) should eliminate some towns from your list right now.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 25,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
My wife and I are considering a move from NYC to to NJ to get some more space, raise a family, etc. My wife's major preference is somewhere that is walking distance to a decent Main St./ Downtown area. Then we have the other normal parameters such as price (400-500 ish), NYC commute, taxes, etc.

I will list some places we are considering in the hopes that someone may have an additional suggestion or two of similar places that we are not currently looking into.

Summit, Millburn, Westfield - Really nice but prices are pretty much out of our range.
Madison- Nice Main St area, but seems like a ghost town. Plus pricey, high taxes...
Morristown?

I know this is vague, but if anyone had any recommendations that might be similar to the towns above, it would be GREATLY appreciated. (Any color on the towns listed would also be appreciated). Thanks.
Why do you feel Red Bank is a hard commute, a train station in town, next to GSP, ferries to NYC not far. Where do you work?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
You have a good handle on a lot of those towns. As you know, the biggest problem you are going to have is your budget, which is on the low side if you want a single family house.

Someone mentioned Ridgewood, which has a lovely downtown. I would also put Ramsey in there, although it is a bit smaller of a Main Street, it is still very cute.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
You may also want to check out Denville, NJ. They have an adorable Main Street... the streets play music and everything.
Has a train station as well.
Heather beat me to it. I second Denville as a good choice. Dont forget the lake (Indian Lake) and the community is always putting on events.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times
Wow... thanks all for your helpful responses. This was my first ever post. So far, so good.

Just want to reply to a couple of queries/ statments:
@ UKOK- I just feel like nobody is ever walking on Madison Main St. Does not seem to be a lot of foot traffic, which in my opinion makes it.... less "lively". Referring to the daytime mostly. Maybe just bad luck on the few times I have been there.
@durkinjt- I work in flatiron area in Manhattan. I could actually take the train and walk from Penn. Is definitely "do-able" but seems like a lone train ride (1hr 15 or longer?)... so were looking at 3+ hours each day on the commute.
@luckyshoes- We are definitely on the low end price. That makes the search much more challenging! We will definitely be making sacrifices as far as finding our "perfect" place. Two years ago.... the 400 to 500 range for what I am asking would have been laughable!!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post

Morristown?

Don't agree with "lot of traffic" in Montclair. Taxes in South Orange are pretty high too.

Not sure why you're concerned about the areas that border South Orange. If you want a good commute to NYC, you will not be too far from some rough areas, but crime tends to be constrained by geographic boundaries. Take a look at a crime rate (or homicide maps for Essex county) if you're skeptical.

South Orange itself doesn't have terribly high crime (not as low as Summit, Millburn and Westfield, but then you can't afford those towns ... ?)

Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Don't agree with "lot of traffic" in Montclair.

Only on Bloomfield Ave really... I can't stand Bloomfield Ave! Not only is there too much traffic, but its too narrow, and those "Yield To Pedestrian" signs are constantly getting clipped by side mirrors, knocking them into traffic making them unavoidable. I can't drive from Caldwell through Montclair without passing atleast 2 little "side swiping" accidents. Those things needed to be weighted down more or something.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 PM

239 posts, read 1,141,253 times
there are houses in your price range in Westfield, they may not be big and they will need work, but they are there,you may need to be patient. the town is totally worth a smaller house for me...especially if you have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey