Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times

Advertisements

Interesting article. I did the cost study for that building back in 2003 when the guy who owned it wanted to redevelop it into condos- the deal didn't pencil then when condos were selling well and at high $/sf rates, so I don't see how it's going to work now. I predict a half-finished, abandoned project on that site in another year or two....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 PM

835 posts, read 1,179,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I don't make enough to live and pay the bills here. What's the difference?

In Pictures: The World's Best-Paid Cities - 10. Miami - Forbes.com

10. Miami

Net pay per hour: $15.70

Gross pay per hour: $21.10

Tax and Social Security contributions: 25%

Vacation days: 11

Working time for an iPod Nano: 10 hours

Read on for more lifestyle coverage, including America's Most Stressful Cities and the World's Best Cities To Eat Well.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Of course this degenerates to the NJ vs. FL debate. As always, I'll say what I always do - There are SOME people in SOME industries who do well in NJ. However, if you don't want to deal with the frustrations of working in NYC or aren't in certain industries, it's a bad place to live. And, it's getting worse as more and more businesses move out. For others, Florida isn't a good place to live because of their respective skillsets. That said, millions of people are able to live nice lives, live in nice homes and enjoy great weather year-round in Florida. I hope to be one of them in the next few years. I don't mind the heat, in fact I love it, and wearing a short sleeve shirt on Christmas day would be a great for me. I've lived in FL before and would love to move back.

THAT SAID... While New Jersey isn't a bad state to live in (nice seasons, nice towns, etc.) it's getting impossible financially to live here. And this is a great article that articulates the reasons why. The bottom line is that no young people are able to afford decent places to live and it takes either an inheritance or a 100K+ per year job to be able to live here. That's unsustainable in this economy. Property taxes are an outrage.
Those 100k+ people are in for a rude suprise come tax time in nj and ny. so basically a large inheritance is the only way

Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 PM

744 posts, read 1,405,826 times
In Pictures: The World's Best-Paid Cities - 3. New York - Forbes.com

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 PM

Average studio condo is 500k

Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,359,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
In Pictures: The World's Best-Paid Cities - 10. Miami - Forbes.com

10. Miami

Net pay per hour: $15.70

Gross pay per hour: $21.10

Tax and Social Security contributions: 25%

Vacation days: 11

Working time for an iPod Nano: 10 hours

Read on for more lifestyle coverage, including America's Most Stressful Cities and the World's Best Cities To Eat Well.
And the average salary for someone in my city, that isn't an office or degree-required field is generally less than 8.50. Try living on that. I don't live near Miami. If I did, I'd pay more for my stuff...because...well...I'd be making more...but it still would be hard to live, like most places.

Everywhere, somewhere, and no where is utopia .... to the right person.

I'm not going to argue. You want out of NJ (or so it seems), I want out of FL (I will miss the nature, and a few other things, but not enough to keep me here).

Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,536 times
My son is making the same here as he did in NJ, but his rent here for a 2 Bedroom, 2 bath is $675, in NJ it was $950 for his one bedroom. He is Happier here in Nashville, and has found a new girlfriend who does not drive him crazy.

We are making more here now, but have been here 3 years. My taxes here are $3500 for a 4500 sq ft house, and in NJ it was $9500 for a 2600 sq ft house. We will retire here nicely in the coming years. Winters are mild, summer not all that bad, was even only 80 for a few daus this week.

There is no going back for me! Both my children are here now, both happier

Diane G

Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
My son is making the same here as he did in NJ, but his rent here for a 2 Bedroom, 2 bath is $675, in NJ it was $950 for his one bedroom. He is Happier here in Nashville, and has found a new girlfriend who does not drive him crazy.

We are making more here now, but have been here 3 years. My taxes here are $3500 for a 4500 sq ft house, and in NJ it was $9500 for a 2600 sq ft house. We will retire here nicely in the coming years. Winters are mild, summer not all that bad, was even only 80 for a few daus this week.

There is no going back for me! Both my children are here now, both happier

Diane G
My mom wants out of FL, too...for some of the same reasons I do. She had thought about TN, but someone (I guess he was from there) said it was just as humid as FL in summer .

Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
And the average salary for someone in my city, that isn't an office or degree-required field is generally less than 8.50. Try living on that. I don't live near Miami. If I did, I'd pay more for my stuff...because...well...I'd be making more...but it still would be hard to live, like most places.

Everywhere, somewhere, and no where is utopia .... to the right person.

I'm not going to argue. You want out of NJ (or so it seems), I want out of FL (I will miss the nature, and a few other things, but not enough to keep me here).
My son lives in Murfreesboro, TN. Housing is cheap, salories are certainly more than that. That is low. He does Customer Service Work for Verizon, lives 1/3 mile from his office. You can buy houses by him in the Low $100s, taxes under $1000 a yr. Its higher by me in Nashville, but he is 25 min from me.
I have family in Florida, and I never wanted to live there. They are in Dunedin, the Clearwater area. They are Lawyers so do fine.

Diane G

Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
My son lives in Murfreesboro, TN. Housing is cheap, salories are certainly more than that. That is low. He does Customer Service Work for Verizon, lives 1/3 mile from his office. You can buy houses by him in the Low $100s, taxes under $1000 a yr. Its higher by me in Nashville, but he is 25 min from me.
I have family in Florida, and I never wanted to live there. They are in Dunedin, the Clearwater area. They are Lawyers so do fine.

Diane G
Definitely a good deal!

I'm outside of Clearwater. In St. Petersburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey