U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 AM

856 posts, read 1,791,941 times
Default just got back from first trip to jersey shore-loved it!!

Thanks for those who replied to my thread asking questions about Ocean City-we came back yesterday from a 5 night stay and loved it-our kids and my sisters family-we are all born and raised and living on Long Island- cannot wait until we go back next summer. Thanks again-the advice on where to stay was awesome!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,043,739 times
For all the flak New Jersey gets, I'm not willing to concede that its beaches and seaside resorts aren't among the best in the nation.

I've never been to California or Hawaii, so I won't comment on those beaches, but what I can say about Florida: As much as I enjoy the state of FL for various other reasons, I feel its beaches leave a bit much to be desired. Maybe it's because I was raised in this state, but give me cool water and waves everyday over warm water with all the excitement of a pool or bathtub.

Glad to hear a NYer enjoyed our humble abode.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM

4,086 posts, read 4,935,911 times
Glad to hear you liked it, Amyla. I think most people are surprised at how incredibly nice and enjoyable the Jersey Shore is when they go for the first time.

To RGS's points - I've never been to Hawaii, but it sounds like the beaches there are perfection, warm water but not too warm, warm or hot air but more dry than humid, beautiful sand, blue water, etc. But you have to pay an arm and a leg to go there. California's beaches are beautiful, but the water is TOO COLD. Jersey's water in the summer gets warmer than CA's. And Florida, I think, has beautiful beaches. Yes, the water is often bathtub warm, but the water is clear and it is very Caribbean-like. You're right, it's not as refreshing as our cooler water, but it's still nice.

However, Jersey, on top of offering beautiful beaches with the right temperature water, is also unique because of how our Shoreline is. We we have one of the longest uninterrupted shore lines, and our state's residents can get there within a short, easy drive. And the shore offers a few options for EACH type of shore-goer. Our shore is rightfully a state treasure to be coveted.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,001,850 times
Haven't been to beach yet this summer because so busy but we plan to go tomorrow, to Ocean City because we've never been there, funny to being I'm from south jersey. I think the croud down there should be less as well which is what we want. We plan to leave early tomorrow morning around 8 and return late so we don't hit much traffic.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:30 PM

229 posts, read 458,112 times
I wasn't overly impressed with Hawaii beaches.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 2,339,883 times
Seaside resorts? Where? That's the one thing that annoys me about the Jersey Shore. The only places to stay seem to be houses that you have to rent for a week, or motels.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 PM

316 posts, read 521,994 times
Glad you enjoyed Ocean City! We go every year and I never get tired of it.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 AM

892 posts, read 1,287,426 times
I'll be doing my Cape May trek the second week of September. Had to skip last year due to ailing parents. CAN'T WAIT!!!! Pristine beaches, 4-star restaurants and QUIET, for the most part. Thank you, New Jersey!!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 PM

2,897 posts, read 5,001,850 times
I went there today and found all the people on their bicycles annoying, but besides that I'd rank it n.j.s 3rd best beach, very bike family beach, u can ride in the middle of the road and it's acceptable, next time I'll rent a bike there.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 AM

1,057 posts, read 458,957 times
Well, it's tough to compare NJ's beaches to Hawaii or some places in California, but really, I've found the majority of NJ's beaches to be cleaner and better-maintained than most other places. If we banned smoking, we'd probably have the absolute cleanest in the nation since there would be no more butts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey