Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 AM

314 posts, read 547,144 times

Advertisements

Ive also been looking in the orange area, i see some very good deals there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 AM

592 posts, read 2,187,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I've been to Jersey City once before.. was not impressed.. downtown was nice but overall it was much more run down than Harlem and there were thugs hanging around everywhere...

Also, I'm not a big condo guy.. I like having my own house, own parking, own yard, ect... got used to all that in Des Moines. The reason I want to pay all cash is because I don't think I can get a loan because of tax issues, and to a lesser degree credit issues.
jersey city has very different areas, i was recommending a very specific area around jsq path that could fit your budget and much better than the alternatives in newark. But if you want a house for 80k around nyc area, then i guess there isnt much choice....

Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I've been to Jersey City once before.. was not impressed.. downtown was nice but overall it was much more run down than Harlem and there were thugs hanging around everywhere...

Also, I'm not a big condo guy.. I like having my own house, own parking, own yard, ect... got used to all that in Des Moines. The reason I want to pay all cash is because I don't think I can get a loan because of tax issues, and to a lesser degree credit issues.

Jersey City is a dump sub 300k, the nice areas are near the waterfront and are sky high. Even canco lofts which is in the middle of nowhere is sky high and they are giving away free cars for people to buy in. Any place that is affordable are high crime areas where thugs jump people with bats and hammers and police have mass shootouts. There is no way they can clean up the area around canco lofts as they are all private homes that are occupied.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:09 AM

240 posts, read 580,967 times

MLS#: 2669394
County: Essex*
TOWN: East Orange City* (1605)
AD: 74 FAIRMOUNT TER*
ZIP: 07018*
LP: $79,900

MLS#: 2683322
TOWN: East Orange City (1605)
AD: 195 North Clinton
ZIP: 07018
LP: $80,000

MLS#: 2702970
TOWN: East Orange City* (1605)
AD: 67 NORMAN ST*
ZIP: 07017*
LP: $90,000

BEST LOCATION (Next to the GS PKWY & Quiet Block)
MLS#: 2579342
TOWN: East Orange City (1605)
AD: 338 RUTLEDGE AVENUE
ZIP: 07017
LP: $99,000

Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM

284 posts, read 542,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Sadly, most of the interesting architecture in Newark either has been destroyed or is in parts of town that you wouldn't want to live in (far from transport, dangerous, etc.). Harlem was much better positioned for a rebound in terms of architecture and location.

Only place in Newark I'd live is in the Ironbound neighborhood, but I don't think you'll get much for the amount of money you're talking about.

Totally false. In my opinion, Lusitan is not helping you become aware of the great opportunities ripe for the picking in Newark. You are single and do not mind a working-class neighborhood, right?

There are many livable areas in Newark where beautiful architecture is intact and for sale. One area that comes to mind is:

A neighborhood sometimes called "South Broad St." Check it out: west of Broad St. bounded on the south by Poinier St., and west until Elizabeth Ave. and extending north until Clinton Ave. Especially all of the sidestreets along the Pennsylvania Ave. corrider. Some of the older structures there are classic examples of the early 20th century lavish urban style.

Many areas in north Newark fit-the-bill too. Mt. Prospect Ave. ~ Mt. Pleasant Ave. ~ Many side streets along the Broadway corridor.

I love urban architecture and I am a constant and regular observer of Newark's unique style, in this respect. Newark is one of the oldest cities in America. It certainly has it's rough edges but there are many examples of intact and beautiful architecture for sale. Dig a little deeper and see for yourself. Some people on this board obviously do not have your best interests in mind when they submit their posts.

Lusitan said many areas are, "far from transport, dangerous, etc." Dangerous is a matter of perspective. "Far from transport" is a blatant untruth. NJ Transit has bus routes that run on virtually every major thoroughfare citywide. I am a Newark resident who uses public transportation, and as anyone in Newark who is knowledgeable about the infrastucture of the city will tell you: there is not one area in Newark that is "far from transport." Be it bus, train, light rail, subway, PATH, "loop" connections, courtesy cooperate jitneys, or airport; it is ridiculous to claim that any area of Newark is "far from transport."

Listen, the opportunity is a golden one. With the real estate market the way it is and the properties available in Newark, there is a virtual plethora of properties to choose from.

Last edited by NEWARK MAGIC; 09-01-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
Jersey City is a dump sub 300k, the nice areas are near the waterfront and are sky high. Even canco lofts which is in the middle of nowhere is sky high and they are giving away free cars for people to buy in. Any place that is affordable are high crime areas where thugs jump people with bats and hammers and police have mass shootouts. There is no way they can clean up the area around canco lofts as they are all private homes that are occupied.
Investigators say Jersey City man killed by long-range bullet - NJ.com

Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,340 times
The fellow who was killed in this story was literally on the grounds of a housing project, though.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
In my opinion, Lusitan is not helping you become aware of the great opportunities ripe for the picking in Newark.
LOL - those areas have been beyond "ripe" for decades. Has great potential, and always will?

Quote:
There are many livable areas in Newark where beautiful architecture is intact and for sale. One area that comes to mind is:

A neighborhood sometimes called "South Broad St." Check it out: west of Broad St. bounded on the south by Poinier St., and west until Elizabeth Ave. and extending north until Clinton Ave. Especially all of the sidestreets along the Pennsylvania Ave. corrider. Some of the older structures there are classic examples of the early 20th century lavish urban style.
That's a horrible area. I've walked around that neighborhood several times over the years and never felt safe. It's certainly not one that your girlfriend or sister or mother would feel comfortable walking around in. He's single but didn't say he has no family or social life and wants to live in a war zone.

But don't take my word for it -- go see for yourself. Here's a helpful little map that will also show you all of the murders and shootings within just the past year, courtesy of SpotCrime's website (spotcrime.com/nj/newark). You can easily spot the areas where the thugs run, including "South Broad St."

Ripe, indeed.

Quote:
Lusitan said many areas are, "far from transport, dangerous, etc." Dangerous is a matter of perspective. "Far from transport" is a blatant untruth. NJ Transit has bus routes that run on virtually every major thoroughfare citywide. I am a Newark resident who uses public transportation, and as anyone in Newark who is knowledgeable about the infrastucture of the city will tell you: there is not one area in Newark that is "far from transport." Be it bus, train, light rail, subway, PATH, "loop" connections, courtesy cooperate jitneys, or airport; it is ridiculous to claim that any area of Newark is "far from transport."
Far from meaningful transport, i.e. the kind that everyone wants in North Jersey -- the kind that takes you to Manhattan. Where the OP specifically stated his family lived.

Gee great, there are NJ Transit buses around big deal. So now you gotta take a bus to Penn Station and then catch a train? For people who come from NYC, "close to transportation" usually means close to a train line. Practically any podunk street in any podunk NJ town can be said to be "close to transportation" if you're talking about a bus line. People want to be able to walk to the train (ideally without getting shot).

But I'm sure the OP and his family would have a "fun" time walking to/from Penn Station and your "South Broad St." neighborhood.

Quote:
Listen, the opportunity is a golden one. With the real estate market the way it is and the properties available in Newark, there is a virtual plethora of properties to choose from.
Golden opportunity LOL.

Newark has been a "golden opportunity" since the riots of the 60s. It's gone nowhere. Thanks to decades of graft and corruption from convicted criminal Mayor Sharpe James, it's a worse mess than ever. It can't hold a candle to Harlem.

The OP would be far better off looking in Jersey City.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
LOL - those areas have been beyond "ripe" for decades. Has great potential, and always will?

That's a horrible area. I've walked around that neighborhood several times over the years and never felt safe. It's certainly not one that your girlfriend or sister or mother would feel comfortable walking around in. He's single but didn't say he has no family or social life and wants to live in a war zone.

But don't take my word for it -- go see for yourself. Here's a helpful little map that will also show you all of the murders and shootings within just the past year, courtesy of SpotCrime's website (spotcrime.com/nj/newark). You can easily spot the areas where the thugs run, including "South Broad St."

Ripe, indeed.

Far from meaningful transport, i.e. the kind that everyone wants in North Jersey -- the kind that takes you to Manhattan. Where the OP specifically stated his family lived.

Gee great, there are NJ Transit buses around big deal. So now you gotta take a bus to Penn Station and then catch a train? For people who come from NYC, "close to transportation" usually means close to a train line. Practically any podunk street in any podunk NJ town can be said to be "close to transportation" if you're talking about a bus line. People want to be able to walk to the train (ideally without getting shot).

But I'm sure the OP and his family would have a "fun" time walking to/from Penn Station and your "South Broad St." neighborhood.

Golden opportunity LOL.

Newark has been a "golden opportunity" since the riots of the 60s. It's gone nowhere. Thanks to decades of graft and corruption from convicted criminal Mayor Sharpe James, it's a worse mess than ever. It can't hold a candle to Harlem.

The OP would be far better off looking in Jersey City.

Thats funny as I take the light rail to penn station so your whole point makes no sense as newark is the central hub to the NJtransit system. Your crime stats are from 2007, get something more recent.

Thnx!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
Oh yeah? You take the light rail from South Broad St. neighborhood? That's funny, as there are no light rail tracks there, nor is that part of the light rail system per NJ Transit's website:

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRa...lr_nlr_map.pdf

And the crime stats I posted are from within the past 12 month period: September 1, 2008 thru September 1, 2009.

How's that for recent? Wait a few weeks and I'll post an update, there's never a shortage of shootings to report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey