Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,919,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
there are really no areas of Ridewood you need to be wary of, though Broad street and surrounding streets would most likely be considered the least desirable in town.

also the lawns section (hawes school area) tends to be the most modest neighborhood. You really can't go wrong in Ridgewood though in my opinion.
I agree with Hal. As far as particular areas, that depends on your price range. West side of town is considered more upscale and is generally more expensive. East side of town is more convenient to downtown and gives you more options in terms of prices. Then there is part of Ridgewood that is on the "other" side of Rt. 17 (east of Rt 17). You can get more for your money there but it's farther away from town, schools, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM

87,952 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post
I haven't been actively tracking houses and the re-lisiting action that goes on in Ridgewood, but I will, starting this month. I'm looking at houses no more than $600k and probably won't move into Ridgewood until 2010.

Are there any neighboorhoods in Ridgewood which I will have more luck in finding a house. Any areas I should be weary of. Any info would be welcomed.

Thanks for all your help.
Ridgewood doesn't really have any "bad" areas that I can think of.

I was just reading this about the empty storefronts--it will likely not be that the downtown dies, but changes.

When I was a teenager (70's), Ridgewood Avenue was full of hippie-type shops where you could buy pot pipes and bell bottoms and gauzy dresses. More recently it's been upscale feu-feu shops with exhorbitant prices (along with some pretty decent restaurants). Perhaps when this all shakes out, it will be somewhere in between.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:04 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,117,224 times
I just did a quick Google, would that be South Broad street (near the train tracks?)

Would their proximity to the train tracks be the main reason for their less desirable status?

Also, you guys are saying that everything is closing up, but Ridgewood has a pretty big town center (for a 'burb...). How would you compare its migration to areas in NYC and Hoboken? Hoboken has always suffered a rash of Cell Phone stores, Real Estate agencies and Starbucks, but it has still kept quite a few restaurants and the like.

NYC has also had quite a few banks move in, and it is dissapointing to walk in the village and see more ATM's than you can shake a poodle at. Still, you get more bars, restaurants and parks than you do in many suburban towns.

Finally, what about Park Life in Ridgewood? I know the Duck Pond is great, but is it still popular? Do parents still bring their kids to play on teh playground, or do you have a town full of "back yard" playgrounds where the kids don't play on much outside the backyard fence? (Hoboken has very little yardspace, so the parks are FILLED with kids, parents and dogs.... very social/connected).

TIA!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM

I just did a quick Google, would that be South Broad street (near the train tracks?)

Would their proximity to the train tracks be the main reason for their less desirable status?

I'm just sayin', because it is what it is, but South Broad Street has long been--and at least since I was a child in the 1960's--a predominantly black section of Ridgewood. It is not a slum or a ghetto, mind you, but a middle/working-class black neighborhood. The only black teacher we had in Midland Park for decades lived there.

Might have had something to do with the train tracks originally. Also along South Broad are a car wash and an auto-body shop, plebian necessities that even the Ridgewood elite have need of.

Apropos of nothing but the mention of the area, years ago one of my brother's friends was walking along the tracks in that area when he came across a man's head. He called the cops, who searched the brush and sure enough found the rest of him, in parts. Apparently someone had been drinking and either passed out on the tracks or didn't hear or see one coming.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM

391 posts, read 1,470,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

i can answer this part. yes, South Broad street and streets in close proximity would be it. this part of town tends to have the highest concentration of rental homes, with a few multi family dwellings i believe.
i don't think the tracks themselves have too much to do with it, unless you are right next to them.

This area is generally considered "less desirable" then other areas of Ridgewood, not bad by any means.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM

I know the Duck Pond is great, but is it still popular?

I think it is. They drained it and cleaned it and redid the whole park a few years back. There is a dog run there that's very popular. It's a lovely place.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,919,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

Also, you guys are saying that everything is closing up, but Ridgewood has a pretty big town center (for a 'burb...). How would you compare its migration to areas in NYC and Hoboken? Hoboken has always suffered a rash of Cell Phone stores, Real Estate agencies and Starbucks, but it has still kept quite a few restaurants and the like.

NYC has also had quite a few banks move in, and it is dissapointing to walk in the village and see more ATM's than you can shake a poodle at. Still, you get more bars, restaurants and parks than you do in many suburban towns.

Finally, what about Park Life in Ridgewood? I know the Duck Pond is great, but is it still popular? Do parents still bring their kids to play on teh playground, or do you have a town full of "back yard" playgrounds where the kids don't play on much outside the backyard fence? (Hoboken has very little yardspace, so the parks are FILLED with kids, parents and dogs.... very social/connected).

TIA!
Ridgewood's downtown is still booming, don't get me wrong. Just come here on a warm Sat night... I know what you mean about Hoboken as I lived there for 10 years. There are some similarities - way too many banks and nail salons for my taste. But there are still tons of great restaurants, small local type stores. The main difference from Hoboken (other than the average age) is a real sense of community. You really get to know store owners and I always bump into people you know. That's what I love about Ridgewood.

Funny you should ask about parks - I just came back from the Duck pond park - it was so crowded at the playground, it reminded me of Hoboken. The duck pond park is very popular especially after they renovated the playground and opened the dog park.

That was one thing I was totally misinformed about when I moved to the suburbs - I was told that parks are always empty because people stay in their backyards and kids only play with neighbors. Not true - at least not in Ridgewood. Parks are always filled with kids and strollers. And of course, Van Saun Park is 10 min away - which we love.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
That was one thing I was totally misinformed about when I moved to the suburbs - I was told that parks are always empty because people stay in their backyards and kids only play with neighbors. Not true - at least not in Ridgewood. Parks are always filled with kids and strollers. And of course, Van Saun Park is 10 min away - which we love.
This is quite interesting. I would have always expected the opposite. One question - do people walk to the parks or drive? My family in Ridgewood always used to drive to the duck pond park to go take a walk. I always thought that was a bit strange, although it is a nice park. I never really saw others walking around town, but maybe I've managed to miss them.

Also, do you generally see people walking to/from downtown? I never saw this either. I always had the impression that people drove downtown and then parked and went where they needed to go. I know a lot of people ask about walkable downtowns, but I'm looking for a walkable town - like Hoboken.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,117,224 times
I remember VS park. It was like the Playground Valhalla. It had all the cool things in it that you did not get when you went to the smaller parks!

Of course, that may have changes with our overprotective parents worrying about slides and jungle gyms being taller than 3' high...

I also remember hearing about them re-lining the duck pond. I heard it was because it was leaking too much and they needed to re-clay the bottom to prevent that.

As for teh Suburban Playground thing, it is true. After living with my parents for a number of years right in front of a school plaground, I can say that once school was out, most kids did not come back to play (especially during the summer, but then again, NJ summers? PHEW!!!!). I was just wondering if the DP got a bunch of families there. It would be nice to visit regularly if that was the case (picinic basket in tow....and plenty of wet-naps!). I see that this is confirmed....

It just makes me want to be there more. The commute is still a bit long though, and I suspect things like Day Care are a bit on the pricey side too. And don't even get me started on bottom line $$$!

Ah well, thanks for the answers!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM

111 posts, read 430,119 times
All in all Ridgewood sounds like a good town, with goog schools, nice down town and buses and trainsa to NYC. Unfortunately for me as a buyer the price tag for a house reflects that.

So far the only negative I hear about Ridgewood and not from this post are the following:

1) Ridgewood School District implemented a new math curriculum which many parents are oppose too.

2) People say encounter the snob factor in Ridgewood.

Does anyone have comments on either one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey